Fall bulb sales when?

somewhere, PA

I don't think the mowing would be an issue with the species tulips. I have to wait 'til
the end of May or early June to mow so that the folliage matures. The grass got so tall
one year I have to ask my DH to scythe it down. It was too tall for a mower. But usually
I get to it before its that tall. The biggest trouble I have is iwth the muscari in the fall.
Its hard to tell what is muscari folliage and what is grass. So I probably would have a
nicer display if I stopped mowing earlier.

So if you can let the grass grow tall, you're ok on that front. You do have to be careful
about summer moisture.

The red tulip I planted was Red Emperor from VE.

somewhere, PA

Neal - I planted 100 of three different daffodil types and at the point where
I was switching one to the next, I interspersed them. I was hoping that
would make it look like they'd self seeded into the other guy's territory.

I did order a naturalizing mix of butterfly dafffodils this time.

And I got my ship confirmation - my bulbs are coming TOMORROW!
Woo Hoo!!!!

Tam

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got an email from BloomingBulbs... they're doing nice discounts on some of their bulbs... snow crocus mix for 5 cents a bulb (100 or more), Dutch Iris 'Eye of the Tiger' (and I know somebody was just talking about wanting that one -- but who? LOL) for 20 or 19 cents a bulb (28 or 49 bulbs or more).

Check out http://www.bloomingbulb.com/CartBulbs.asp?Category=230

Look them up in the Watchdog... I've ordered from them in the past & have been pleased.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh I was bad!!! 500 more mixed crocus, 100 of the two small spring iris. Critter, it cost me money to watch your threads, girl LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're going to love those little dutch iris... they just take my breath away!

LOL... this thread isn't costing us money, it's saving us money... ;-)

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I love Dutch Iris - the taller ones - and if they're kept in a dry area they come back well, too. They look AWESOME combined with Narc. "Sir Winston Churchill". I received my order last week from Scheepers of 100 Iris "Blue Magic", 50 "Oriental Beauty", and 50 "Rosario". I plan on combining them again with my Churchills as they're about the same height and bloom at the same time.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi,
I've been lurking on your bulb sale thread (what good DG plant addict could resist a sale thread, right?). ;)

So, I thought I'd pass along that I just got an email from High Country Gardens that they're having a bulb sale, up to 40% off. I haven't really done any comparison shopping, but thought I'd let everyone know anyway.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/specials/

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 12:22 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

if anyone is in the kansas city metro area the grass pad is a good place to buy bulbs.
cheaper than johnscheepers/vanengalen! i looked at tulips because i already had ordered bulbs from john scheepers. 100 mixed darwin tulips were $00.17 ea. larger selection of tulips and hyacinths. I was surprised. Went in for grass seed and bought somemore bulbs! lol.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Bluestone sent an email! http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/scan/rl=disc/sp=results_pics/rm=1/rx=9999/ra=1/tf=name/va=svalue=Specials.html?id=jTXJdKDN

This is a better link, sorry http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/bulbs/index.html

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 12:46 PM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yall are such a bad influence on me.....:)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

if ya'll hear before me please lmk if telos rare bulbs or bulbmeister starts a sale.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Got this email from Pinetree Garden Seeds

Please use this link to get to the sale page http://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=340 If this does not work for you please go to www.superseeds.com and click on the sale icon.

FALL BULB SALE –
It is at the end of the season and we do have some decent Fall Bulbs on sale. We hope you will partake and beautify for next Spring. Quantities are limited.

The following will be our choice of color and type within each of the varieties listed below. The packages will be labeled as to what variety we choose.
STM Tulips were 10 for $7.95. Now 10 for $5.50
SDM Daffodils were 10 for $8.95. Now 10 for $6.30
SCM Crocus were 10 for $3.95. Now 10 for $2.75
SDI Dutch Iris were 10 for $4.95. Now 10 for $3.50
SMI Mini Iris were 10 for $4.95. Now 10 for $3.50
SMM Muscari were 10 for $3.95. Now 10 for $2.75
SOL Oriental Lilies were 5 for $10.95. Now 5 for $7.65
SBI Bearded Iris were 1 for $4.95. Now 1 for $3.50

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't get to read through all of the posts on the sales but I do know that Holland Bulb Farms is starting some of their sales. http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/index.asp

That's where I got my bulbs this year and they were nice sized, healthy bulbs. I just figured I'd post it in case anyone was interested. I would expect their prices to continue to drop some more.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I was curious, so I checked out holland bulb, 10 cents a bulb http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/bulktulipbulbsale.asp?ErrURL=Redir

I don't know how much lower you can go.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

of course you have to buy 1,000 tulips of the same variety to get that price.how about a truckload for $.07?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

How big is your truck?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL... Look out for Bleek! He tends to offer irresistible bargains!! (Thanks.)

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a semi with a 53' trailer can haul 45,000 lbs., and a toyota half ton p/u.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OMG, I don't even want to think about how many tulip bulbs would add up to 45,000 pounds!! That's like 7,000 five pound sacks of potatoes... how many acres would that plant?? OK, OK, I admit... now I'm trying to envision it!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i'm thinking more about the price!lol! and if they didn't flower the next year and to have to do it all again? no thanks.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

45,000 pounds of tulip bulbs = 50 pounds of venison

Maybe even less.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 6:37 PM

That venison may be too heavy on the stomach for me.......!!!!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 10:14 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

omg. how do you have so many? do you live in a house or a warehouse?

I live in a house with a big garage.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 10:15 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

wow do you import bulbs from holland?

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 10:16 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

David_Paul, are you talking about the deer eating the tulips or about the relative cost of tulip bulbs and venison? LOL either way!

edited... thanks, Bleek!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 10:37 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I keep thinking about 45,000 lbs of bulbs and those contests for kids like "Guess how many jelly beans and you win the whole jar" ;)

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Not a great deal off, but just bought some daffs and Nerine from Van bourgondien. $25 off as I bought too mush, as usual.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Critterologist . . .thanks for the heads up on:

http://www.bloomingbulb.com/CartBulbs.asp?Category=230

Prices dropped since you posted. Some of what I just ordered

Tulip - Greigii-Red Riding Hood
Tulip - Fosteriana-Red Emperor
Daffodil-White Thalia
Crocus-Pickwick-Striped
Tulip - Species Other-Tarda
Species Crocus-Ard Schenk
Species Crocus-Whitewell Purple (Tomasinianus)
Species Crocus-Dorothy
Anemone blanda
Allium-Mixed Rock Garden

Van Engelen and others are out of Siberian blue Scilla but bloomingbulb has them on sale for $0.06 each. Most everyone is also out of Tommies (because of their reported deer resistence I suppose).

Picked up 1,780 bulbs tonight. Average cost was under 8 cents per bulb. Red Emperor Tulips were the most expensive ( if that word can be used) at 23 cents each. Rock garden alliums were 100 for 3 bucks. Yellow species crocus are 4 cents. Tommies are 6 cents.

Seems almost too good a deal. We shall see this spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, I was just going to post again about Blooming Bulb. Prices on snow crocus are now 2 cents a bulb if you order 1000... which of course I did! (I'll share them around the neighborhood.) Got 100 'Whitewell Purple' tommies, too... I bought some for a border a couple years ago, but fell short of being able to plant the entire lenght of it, so now I can finish it out. Oh, and I guess I should admit the 100 'Pickwick' crocus (can't resist the stripes) and some saffron crocus jumped into my order too... 8 cents each!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Same thing I got. 200 Whitewell Purple (Tomasinianus) and 50 Pickwick Striped (what was I thinking? Why not 100 or more at this price?)

Also got 300 Ard Schenk white crocus to mix in and around Greigii Red Riding Hood tulips.

Anyone grow Drooping Star of Bethlehem Nutans? Impluse bought 100 of them before reading reviews. I get the impression they are somewhat weedy looking. Is that true? Better off tucking them away at the fringes of the lawn where the woods begin?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Critter...How are the kitties?!
You all are bulb-planting maniacs, lol! I bought some dwarf iris bulbs at High Country Gardens 40% off sale (as well as some species tulips) and thought I had plenty to deal with:-) Y'all will be planting for weeks! Makes my hips ache to think about it. But thinking of ordering some more alliums anyway...Glutton for punishment.
Bev

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kitties are great, Bev, thanks for asking! I'm away, but DH just got back this evening... kitties are ecstatic, wrestling each other for lap priveledges. They had run of the house for a couple of days, but thankfully they stayed off the dining room table, which is full of plates and bowls of drying seeds. :-)

somewhere, PA

Oh that's just asking for trouble Critter! I once promised some seeds to another
DG'er only to find them scattered all over the dining room rug & attached to my
cat Zephyr. Luckily I was able to recover enough from her fur to send off. Seeds
sitting out for a curious cat to roll on is a temptation far beyond any cat I ever met!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I know... so far, I guess I've been lucky... if our luck runs out and the cats chase each other down the center of the coffee table, I guess I'll get out the dust buster and offer "mixed basil seeds" for postage this year, LOL!

Added another 100 saffron crocus for a friend to my order this morning... Leah (at Blooming Bulbs) is a sweet lady! I told her offering 2 cent snow crocus was like dangling penny candy in front of a chocolaholic....

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

That's a cute image...Cats 'n Seeds! Thank goodness they left yours alone, though critter.
Happy planting!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

My cat got in my seeds last night, but right after I finished putting them in baggies. He's getting old, I guess.

There's another ad in the classifieds today, had to get another 1,100 or so. I had never heard of Puschkinia before, it looks neat.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31489/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oooh, yes, look! Bleek is at it again! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/787296/#new

I got really lovely bulbs from eflowergardens during the co-op that 4paws organized, and Bleek is wonderful about offering nice quantity discounts. I think he said something about being in a position to offer a great deal on truckload quantities of red tulips... :-)

somewhere, PA

Claypa - puschkinia are wonderful! Little sparkles of joy in the spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.