Seed Snatchin

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Soooo... If "one" was going to go a seed snatchin' in or around the Nation's Capital, where might one have lots of success?

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Shall we start a fund in case we need to post bail? LOL

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

maybe

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I don't know how you get in on this, but one of my neighbors used to bring home tons of bulbs that had been planted around the Mall because they would dig them up and throw them away every season.

There are two problems with collecting seeds. First, you might get in trouble unless you ask first. Second, they're probably hybrids and what you get will be far inferior to the parent plant.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I am sitting here just cracking up. You know I visited DC once in my lifetime that was last year on a bus trip. I don't remember any knock-out flower beds except for the one in front of the White House, but then I was just so overwhelmed by the place, I guess I need to look at my pictures again.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

You're right, Hart. I'm actually less and less interested in hybrid plants all the time, as a matter of fact. ... and I'm not entirely serious about the "snatchin" aspect of seed collecting.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

What sort of seeds are you looking for, Wrightie? I should have lots of things once the seed pods ripen. These are all things that will be true to the parent plant.

It kind of amazes me the number of people at DG who don't know about hybrid seeds. I see people all the time in the seed trading forum asking, for example, for seeds for some of the fancier new coneflowers. There is no way you're going to get anything other than a purple mutt from those seeds. There are some coneflowers that come true from seeds but not the new ones that are selling for $20 a pot.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm looking for just about anything that is traditionally 'cottagey', but I need to balance that with plants that take part sun ... foxgloves and poppies are on my brain ~this week~ ... There's a Fresh Seed Swap going on right now in Cottage Gardening and spaces are filling, if you're interested.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Odd that I should find this thread this morning - we were driving through town yesterday and I saw some of the white Zinnias blooming around the 'Welcome to Lexington' signs that I used to have in the gardens. Thinking to myself I need to watch them and "snatch" some seeds for next year! LOL Not sure I'd be brave enough to pull it off in DC but in Lexington probably won't be a problem :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, by "around DC", I mean MD, where I live. ... lol

Ima Chicken II

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

can be so tempting. I even felt funny pulling pods off chinese wisteria in the park(invasive) I didn't want somebody reporting me for picking wild plants
Ima Chicken III

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey, Sally, I thought of you yesterday when I stopped by Crunchies to take a look around. Jeez, I wish I had known about them years ago - what a great selection!

glad to be of service, ma'am

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Crunchies?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Pet food store on Rt 3 in Crofton that carries only specialty / natural foods. http://www.crunchies.com/

How about cuttings/ pinchings? You know the landscapers are going to come along and trim eventually, or even dig out and discard things to plant new fresh stuff.
OK, wrightie in a wheelchair( recent practice acting gimpy) and one of us to push her along. Nobody will want to stare at us and notice and she'll be closer to the ground level.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Works for me!

Crozet, VA

I am with Chantell. I have been bringing back either clippings or seeds from places that I visited the past couple of years since I started gardening. I just returned from a trip and came home with lots of goodies. Didn't have to snitch this time either, all I did was ask.

I was fortunate enough to be able to catch up with another Dave's member and take a tour of her lovely cottage garden. I came home with starts for several things and I was in heaven. Wind, who sometimes posts here lives in the same town as my niece, who we were staying the night with and I contacted and asked if she would like to meet. Out of the offerings that I had to share, she only wanted Lambs Ear. I felt kind of bad coming home with about 5 or 6 different things from her. She hada things that I have never heard of before and so it was an interesting tour for me.

This is a fun thread. You guys are always good for a laugh or two. You egg each other on, you know. And you get to some far out places when you play that game. Keep on, keeping on.

Have a good weekend all.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

So...at my son's baseball game today when some dainty and blue caught my eye

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Needless to say...I came home w/these - LOL First the vets...now the baseball fields...hello world...here i come!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Crozet, VA

You remind me so much of myself. haha

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oops!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oopps??? Huh? What cha' mean there wrightie?
Ruby - LOL - hey, ya gotta do what you gotta do...and if it's pretty and there's seed...well I've become rather fixated on getting seed when I can. I was telling Becky - I think I have enough for many yards at this point...time to get them organized so I'm no duplicating myself...ugh!

Crozet, VA

I have a shelf on a rather large hand made cabinet that sits in my spare bedroom. That is where I keep my seed. I have a load of seeds too and haven't made the first attempt to organize them. Yeah, would be nice to know what you have. Maybe if someone plans to host a seed swap this winter, it will motivate those of us who should be doing better, to get things in better order.

Sounds like a cold winter's evening or two kind of project to me. I just came in from watering my back yard plants. Man, it is bone dry here. I planted a few things earlier in the week and hadn't gotten back to water until now and they were suffering, that is for sure. Hopefully they will live.

I made a little progress on getting house plants in yesterday. I have worked myself to the point where the only ones still outside are ones that are too heavy for me to carry. Looks like I will be needing John's assistance again. ha-ha He is not particularly interested in house plants, so I hate to ask. Maybe he will develop a love for them at some point and I won't mind asking him to help.

I hope that everyone will have a good week. Take care.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.