Any Experience with Solar Gem Greenhouse made in Tacoma, Wa?

Castle Rock, WA(Zone 8a)

Saw this 1 piece greenhouse at the Puyallup Fair. It comes in two sizes - the largest being 8 x 15 feet.

Does anyone have experience either good or bad with this green house or with the company who sells them?

http://www.solargemgreenhouses.com/index.php

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I've never seen it.

Depending on your GH needs, it may or may not suit them. There's very little information at their website, about the structure. As I see it, it would be difficult to control ventilation. They say there's auto-opening roof vents, but that's not enough to cool a GH in the summer, even with the door and window open. You'd still need an exhaust fan, but I see no way to install one, in the one-piece construction. Also, looking at the structure, I see no easy way to install electric. It seems that trying to drill an access hole through the sides would present another set of problems. Perhaps they have a solution, *shrug*.

There's also no pricing information at the site. I'm always skeptical of that. But, that may just be me. =) Have you contacted them?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It sounds like they're a local company that makes their own greenhouses (rather than reselling somebody else's), so chances are anyone outside of your area won't be familiar with them (did you try looking them up in Watchdog or Go Gardening to check if there are any ratings?). I'm intrigued by the one piece construction, my biggest complaint with my current greenhouse was the huge pain it was to assemble it, and every time the wind blows it seems like panels work their way loose and are next to impossible to snap back in, so it seems like this would have some advantages in that regard.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

ecrane, what GH did you put up?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine was the Sundog. I'm sure if I would have been smart and had someone help me put it together and if I would have had a nice level area to assemble it on, it would have gone together much nicer, but I did it by myself and even the level part of my backyard isn't very level, so even with propping up one end of the frame with wood blocks and things, I wasn't able to get things 100% level. So there were parts that I just couldn't get quite lined up right, and there were some little tiny gaps where the wind could get in and get a grip on things. Where I live we have pretty bad wind, nice gusty storms in the winter and even during the summer we have winds pretty much every night, so it's not the best environment for a lower-end greenhouse. I'm hoping to get at least one more winter out of it, but the long term plan is to get my back balcony converted to a sunroom/greenhouse with screens for the summer and glass panels for the winter.

I was wondering if anyone that purchased a Solar Gem could give some feed back. There's an option for a second door. That should help with ventilation. I 'm worried about wind worthiness. Also the possible need for a shade cloth .

bh27

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Looking at the picture, I question the placement of the top vent. With it open, it looks like it would rain inside. That might be a problem. And even if it doesn't need a foundation, there would have to be a way to keep it from moving in high wind.

Auburn, WA

I have the Solar Gem. It is made so that you can use large spikes to secure it. Seems very stable and have had no wind problems. This is my first greenhouse so I have nothing to compare it to but I really like it.

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.