Water damage

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone! I am often accused of exagerrating, so I thought I'd take some pictures of the "swimming hole" we are putting in the back yard (NOT!). This first picture was taken a foot outside my back door. Notice the hazard tape!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is the current condition of my neighbors (next to next door) patio. The initial damage was to his place, the water main under his patio just exploded through the concrete! They are now filling in the hole.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I tried to get Tim to smile - but he is shy...

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Now we are moving back over to my place....well mine and my next door neighbors. The pipes under here burst about 15 minutes after they had turned the water back on from the the first break.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is now partially filled in....it was a wider hole last night before they put the tape up.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This one shows the hole right up to my back door.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, my Shari. And here we have worried about all kinds of weather damage not even dreaming about such a thing as this. I suppose all this white dust is now inside as well as outside. Any water yet?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

The whole crew working on this, from the Emergency Crews of the Fire Dept and Police, to Housing and Food Services and most especially the guys doing the hard labor from early morning to late at night,(and always with a smile, an apology, and an answer), have been fantastic. It could have been a lot worse! Our water is now back on, and has been tested and found okay. These pictures I took this morning - about 4 hours ago, and the hole is now nearly filled in! I know for a fact, that back in the States, it would have been a much longer process.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yikes!!! Biiiiig hole!! With my luck I would have fallen in there just being close to it. lol.

At least it is getting fixed quickly.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oops some of my pics weren't the right ones, but you get the idea....just thought it was interesting what we all deal with - rain, no rain, hurricanes, floods, weddings and exploding water pipes. No one can ever say that the Tropical Gardening Forum is boring!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you followed The Big Easy? of course.....worse now than 2 years ago,....uuuppps more politics....can't seem to stay away from it.....herself says as she mutters away.....

Glad you are getting good service and especially that your water is on. Nothing like your own tub and bed. Speaking of....I hate that we are on such odd times...

lalalalala....good night....good night.......good night........Julie Andrews.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

♫Bon soir, adieu, alfvedersein ....good ni- igt. I hate ..to go...and leave this pretty si-ight...good night...good night....good niiiiiiiiight♫

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

show off.....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep, I'm showing off....can't spell to save my life! ha ha.

LOL. You mean you can't sing to save your life?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That either!

Shari are you sure we are not related? that hole I am afraid of heights!....
how did the wedding pow wow go?
We had ricotta and spinach Pastizzi for dinner last night....shop bought....do you know what I talking about. Really very good...and veg friendly...they went frozen into the oven and were wonderful..let me know if you want me to get a recipe up for them.It is just a flaky pastry with a lovely easy filling.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

How is the clean up going....not you.....but the city/water people. Are they repairing you patio?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Mornin everyone! Whoose, two days of constant "fun in the sun" and I am looking forward to a do nothing day! Day before yesterday was our Kwajalympics...a day where all the different divisions on island compete in silly games and have a good time....DH competed in Baggo (like horseshoes) and wiffle ball ...SIL was in the Obstacle course and silly swim - I took GD around to watch all the competitors and let her play in the bounce house, giant slip'n'slide, big rubber obstacle castle, etc.

Yesterday DD and I decorated the Family Pool (available for rent), for GD's 4th Birthday. She and twenty other 3-5 year olds ate cake and bug shaped candy - played in the pool, chased rubber ladybugs in and out of the pool, played the Pinata game, chased, caught, cried, laughed and generally wore out us adults from noon till 3. Then I helped DD keep track of who gave what present. Wanted to get a nap in before our Scuba Club Party last night, but alas, not to be.

Got "dressed up" and went to the club for a night of dining and dancing with 100 of our closest friends. At least that's what the tickets said! It was fun. Everyone commented on how nice everyone looked, we ate, we visited, we danced a wee bit - but I have a broken toe, so didn't dance much...we drank, and after two small glasses of wine and a Bailey's coffee I thought I was gonna fall asleep right there at the table! DD and SIL left, and we followed shortly after. Totally pooped! Woke up this morning missing you all and wanting to catch up!

Forms are laid to poor new patio - probably today....most of mess cleaned up!

I don't remember hearing about this broken toe. What did you do?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What a great day. Be sure and have them do something special to the concrete. Like a design or something unique to the S family.

Yeh what about the toe?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I like the idea of something in the concrete...wonder if I can get away with that on an Army base?? I meant to say "pour" not "poor" duh!!

Toe not big deal, got tangled in bed covers while changing sheets and got Next to Big Toe twisted under and "snap". Very purple at the moment, which is a cool color, so I'm okay. Just can't dance much. And it was pretty okay till yesterday, spent a lot of time on my feet, so was noticably limping by days' end. Much better this am.

LOL. Of all the ways to break a toe!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh... you mean I haven't yet explained how terrifically talented I am???? My, what an oversight!

LOL

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Got to be the truth. Nobody could even imagine breaking a toe that way. You don't have the corner on being talented. I slammed a car door on my toe; twice in one day??

I have a scar on one finger from when I have slammed a car door on it 2 times. Both times in an old car without all that extra rubber. Oh, and both times the door was locked and I didn't have the keys. Screamed bloody murder both times.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Garden Grammy - OWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! You're right! I don't hold a candle to you!

Pepper- Known for a while now that you were a bit "different"....no keys? twice?? Was the screaming in pain or .....(whispering) pleasure? Ha, kiddo, you know I'm just joshin ya. Another big OWWWWWW!

Screaming in pain for sure!! lol. I actually could see my bone cause the skin got pushed all the way down.

Grammy, yours is definitely worse!!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

NO! I could at least open the door!

LOL. True.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay now all my digits are twitching in sympathy! Hmmmm, thought they would have poured the cement by now, but not yet. DH and I decided we'd put our initials in a heart with cat paws around it. Not original, but us.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

aaaawwww....that's so sweet..... think the babies will like liking concrete off their paws.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Not!! Thought about that part, so decided to make fake cat paws....

Can't find the Texas thread you guys were in....I'll keep looking.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You see, it's like this.....we Texans have a hard time staying on topic...can you imagine such? Makes everybody have to read every thread. Some interesting stories in there.
The trading posts will make you drunk. We will be on vacation and I am missing two RU but will be sure I remedy that for next Spring. Think it might have tetleytuna calling your name. I'm gettin' like Pepper and posting a reply on the wrong thread. I'm still collecting seed almost everyday as it is that time of year. They are all still to wet to package. Have not forgotten you.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Great idea! Put the year too. so sorry about your toe. Bad thing about broken toes is they are too little to splint and hard to keep off of till they heal.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Lou we cross psoted. What are you harvesting?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Joy, you won't like my descriptions. It's like the old lady telling the doc she takes a white and a pink pill.

Passiflora....white and purple
canna.........yellow, orange, red
turks cap
four o'clock
hibiscus....red and yellow
Texas Star Hibiscus...red
something like hibiscus but it's not.....(I told you)
platycodon...blue
lantana
got seed off of something today that is in a mixed planter of pond plants
curtain daisy
blue salvia

I have totally failed botany. Told Shari, I would just send her a envelope and she could have a surprise garden. That's the way I do it. Save everything in a jar and just toss it up in the Spring.....turns out pretty good.....if you like cottage garden look.

Seriously, I could probably id everything if I wanted to go to the trouble. I prefer to plant perennials from seed. I pace the sides of the beds watching for the seedlings....so satisfying and thus far...successful. I admire formal plantings but it would not be me.

Will do better in the future.....maybe.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

From the pics you post of your garden, I am quite sure what you do is just fine! Beautiful!! Don't do things cuz you think you "should" - your garden "should' be just what you want it to be! Who cares if you do or do not know scientific descriptions...you know what you have, what it looks and smells like....that's all that matters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.