Overwintering cuttings

Oxford, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone had luck overwintering rooted cuttings of buddleia in pots? I am in zone 7b and I am going to try it unless someone thinks they won't make it. Just curious. Thanks!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Buddleia cuttings? For me, they're so easy to start, when I get ready to trim mine down. I just cut those cuttings into, say, foot-tall or so, stick them in the ground where they get watered in a regular basic. Next spring, when the parents' plant put out new growth, so do the cuttings. Same zone, though I live nearby a large water body system. The humidity maybe a little different. So to be sure yours take, just make sure your cuttings get enough humidity they require, voilas! Next spring you've have a ton of them. :-)

Oxford, GA(Zone 7b)

a ton of them... that is my problem right now :) I have about 60 cuttings that have rooted and are growing but I have no where to put them at the moment once I take them out of the trays. Since I don't want a backyard full of them, I wanted to see if I could put them in 5" pots for the winter, then have plenty to give away/trade with in the spring. I just don't know if they will survive the winter above ground.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

What about a cutting bed? Or a cold frame? Leave them in the pot and plunge them into some loose soil. They may root into the soil, but they can be dug up and cut when you want to trade/give away.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Excellent ideas, plunge them in the ground, they're hardy enough. They will survive. Indoor overwintering isn't neccessary, save room for something else that need them. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.