My first Hibiscus!!!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is my first Hibiscus plant that I have. I just moved from NY to Pensacola and I am so excited about growing this plant.

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

That little darlin' is JUST gorgeous! What kind? I'll guess Bon Temps??? Congratulations!! It won't be your last, pensacola!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

good job pensecola! would you like some red star hibiscus seed?

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello Auntb,

I am not sure which species but it is growing very well.

James

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello Jordankittyjo,

I would love some seeds I am new here and can grow them outdoors now and I am loving it.

James

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

james, is your addy in the exchange- if not d-mail it to me and i will get them out today
kathy by the way im originally from ny also

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It's just beautiful. Are you new to Pensacola or to DG, or both? I'm just thrilled when I move them outside in Spring and I've successfully over-wintered them. How nice to be able to have them outside all the time! Welcome!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Welcome to the hibiscus forum! Your plant is just lovely :-) Now you will want lots more!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello AuntB,

I am new to both and I am loving it!!!

James

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes amarantha00 that is just it i do want more already

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Someone add James to our hopelessly addicted list! Which one are you getting next?! There are so many, what colors do you like?

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

OH I like them all I would have to say.............lol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What zone is Pensacola. I am in 8a. I leave my Texas Star in the ground year round. It dies to the ground first freeze but comes back two fold the next spring. Has bloomed it's heart out this summer.
Welcome,James. I would be embarrassed to name all of the plants to which I am addicted.

LouC

This message was edited Sep 19, 2007 7:57 PM

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Lou, do you cut yours off in the spring or leave it

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

'Hello Lou I belive it is 8

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello jordankittyjo,

I do not know yet i havent spent a winter here.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I wait for it to die down after the first frost......leave for a couple of weeks and then cut off at the ground. Don't do any extra mulch but you could if you wanted to. When the ground begins to warm in the spring it comes back. Don't trim it any during the growing season.
It will put out small side shoots that also bloom. I deadhead so it continues to bloom and save the seed. Like any other hibiscus each bloom only lasts for a day. These two are overlapping...main stem gets about 8-9 feet tall. I have left the seed and additional plants come up around it. Takes little or no care. Not a cutting flower....immediately wilts.

Thumbnail by LouC
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

thanks lou

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope you have success. Be prepared for the jokes until it blooms. Often mistaken for ....ahem....pot.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome to the best bunch of enablers ever. Your hibiscus is wonderful and we will all want that one now. I am sure one of the pros will chime in and ID it for us.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2007 4:18 PM

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Your hibbie is lovely. I'm with Ardesia, I want one, lol

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

LOL well i bought this one from Home Depot it was less then 4 bucks I will save any of the seeds if you would like some keep in touch and I will send you some

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

James, this where the real pleasure begins......sharing.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

yeah I know I love to share it gives me alot of pleasure!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I kinda thought so......

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

yes indeed it is a really nice feeling to be able to do so!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Pretty hibiscus, James and I hope we see lots more pictures from you on the various forums. You must be in heaven with all of the warm weather and little fear of frost or freeze. What zone would you be in?

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello Brugie,

I am in zone 8 but before I was in zone 5 and it is a big difference here that is for sure!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

James, on your preference page there is place for your zone to be by your sign-in name.
Helps answer you questions if we know the zone. At least I think that is where it is.

Welcome again.....and goodnight. I am a early bird and it is almost 10:00 for me.

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello James;,

Thats a beautiful hibiscus.... I don't know the name right off hand, but I don't think it is Bon Temp.... The bloom looks to small....From the picture, I'm guessing about 4½ inches or so.....The markings are just a tad different also although the colors are close.....The blooms on the Bon Temp I have are about 7 inches.....Heres a picture of the bloom to compare with your photo.....

...Dave

Thumbnail by UncleGreenthumb
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

uncle, what a beautiful biscit

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wow what a beauty...........

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So wish they bloomed for more than a day. Would make such a lovely bouquet.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Yeah i know they sure would..........lol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

workin' on seeds today, James. Just got envelopes yesterday. Also, will have to be sure they are dry so they won't mold.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

ok that would be great I can not wait to start them I am very excited to be getting them you have no idea........ my address is in the exchange

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I got a start from a rooted plant and this is the first time I have saved the seed. Have no idea how long it takes to germinate or bloom. Just wanted you to know. I'm curious myself about just when to plant the seed. Here the plants are going dormant.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

I do not have a clue either.........lol but I will start them in the spring I think.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That is what I am thinking. Regardless of the zone....plants have a down time. I have some seed sent to me and I am holding them for the same reason.

If anyone has suggestions.....pipe up.....I don't really know.....just my common sense reasoning.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i really don't know but am planning on starting mine inside in feb.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.