Swap/door prize thread for DG RU on Oct. 13th

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a bunch. So many that I have lost count. LOL. Some posters I got from work, figurines, pic frames, an outdoor candle holder, some other stuff. It's all wrapped up and in a sack so I can't check. lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Do we wrap the door prizes?
Ok to bring tropicals and house plants?

No need to wrap the door prizes unless you want too.

I don't need anymore houseplants or tropicals but I do have a coworker who does. In fact if you have a chenille plant he would love one of those. Other than that he's not picky. lol. I am out trolling for him. lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think any plant would be ok. We all usually end up taking home something we brought or just tossing it into the garbage. I don't do many houseplants do to lack of space for them & insect infestations, but if the tropicals have seeds I would probably be willing to have some to see if I can get them to maturity and blooming during our season. I'm sure others will be interested too.

I'm glad you are coming. It'll be good to meet you and put a face and voice with a name. Be sure to bring a camera to help save the memories.

Yes, bring cameras!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I will bring my digital camera good one...

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I have been trying to post on here but it has not been posted so now will try again. I will bring some bottled water and a few hosta plants and maybe a coral bells. I cannot stay too long since I have a bowling commitment that evening.

What time does it all start. Also for those of you who do not know me I have been deaf almost all of my adult life. Your going to to have a paroblem communicating with me.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, I m impaired hearing too! I can sign hands too!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I think we'll do okay, Oz and Rusty, it will be so nice to meet in person. Oz, I've admired your hosta knowledge and your spunk since I joined DG.. And I always delight at your posts, Rusty. I really need to learn sign language... my 5 yr. old great nephew (who isn't deaf) started learning in pre-school.... Maybe you can get me started with the basics, like; plant, wanna trade, seeds, cuttings.... lol I'll work on gathering my goodies together this weekend... I think we will leave around 7:30a.m. and hope to arrive around 11, I think that is okay, if we're early, we can help out where it's needed.... Yes, to ALL plants, someone will want or know someone who does... I will probably bring a couple of my new coneflowers, I STILL haven't gotten planted (what was I thinking?) and the rest I'm bringing to share. It's the event of my Autumn!

LOL. I am also hearing impaired. We will do fine.

Oz, it starts whenever people start arriving. I am hoping to get there around 8:30 to help with setting up but it depends on who all ends up coming with me.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I hope to be up and presentable by 7:30 in case anyone arrives really early. I wonder if I should make fresh coffee. The coffee pot hasn't been used since our oldest DD left right after Christmas to go back to VA. where she lives.

If anyone wants more direct directions dmail me and I'll send them to you. Let me know if you are coming from I - 70, highway 65 into Sedalia, or highway 50 coming into Sedalia and then proceeding north on highway 65. I'll try to get signs put up Friday morning and that night after work. I have to get them made first. All that will be on them is DG RU.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

EvaMae, we sincerely appreciate all your efforts making the RU possible and you too, Pepper! We were talking about how much fun it will be last night.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

AuntB, I am so glad to be having it here at home. Actually this is so much easier for me. Much thanks goes to Pepper. At the time the subject was mentioned I was so tired and sick I told her she would have to take the leadership position with it. All I could offer at that time was a place to have it and pray I felt better by that time. Which I do. I'm really looking forward to the RU.

EVA MAY------PRESENTABLE !!!!!!!!!!! Just what does that mean. What with pepper getting there at 8:30 to "help set up" ,as she said I am staring to wonder if we were going to see some sort of show with dancing on a stage. Hmmmmmmmmm could be most anything I suppose.

PEPPER---- Now you be careful with the set up. If it includes a pole are something like that we do not want the thing to come loose while she is swinging about and doing what they do on those poles. Might fly of there and break something or other.

AUNT B----- I do not sign that well. I did not become deaf until I was about 25 yrs old. What happened to me was hours and hours of working in back of jet fighter aircraft on a aircraft carrier. In those days of olden times there were no ear protectors like thay have today. And if you have ever heard a jet hit the afterburner when flying over you can imagine what it is like only a feet away.

EvaMay------ S nd me the directions to your house on the D-Mail

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oz, that is funny about the pole... you're ornery! lol I do know how loud a Blackhawk is, I worked at the Nat'l Guard and we got to go for a ride, w/ear protectors and it was still pretty loud and fun. Maybe we can both learn a sign or two. We'll communicate, if there's a will, there's a way.
I'm off to find the pumpkin carving post person....

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It was Tetleytuna, I'll send a d-mail...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, Oz, to me presentable means hair combed, fully dressed instead of still in my night shirt, shoes on instead of house slippers, etc. And in a decent mental status instead of still half asleep & just wanting the world to go away for awhile. And all my morning meds taken. It takes an hour or more on Sat. mornings because I work 9 hours or more on Friday. Jack could have told you that no one wants to be around me much before then. Not that I am mean and hateful, just can be short tempered and rather unfeeling no matter how hard I try.

AuntB, there won't be any flying around poles by me. Just being upright & mobile is all I am capable of doing. I have tried to figure out how to just jump and skip and can't even figure out how to do those things. If I could just get that co ordinated I would think I was on top of the world. But my mind won't even come with the right muscle movements to do it.

No one needs to worry about communicating with Oz, he does just fine. I think most of us who have any age have some hearing loss because as Oz said, we didn't have all those ear protection items and we were exposed to lots of noise pollution. Jack had hearing loss because he loaded something under helicopters with motors already running during his military service. However since it didn't show up immediately VA wouldn't give him hearing aids. They said his life as a farmer was the reason for his loss of hearing. But he died shortly after that battle so it became immaterial.

The level of so called music being played on vehicle radio systems by young people nowadays is going to lead to a generation of people with hear loss. There are laws against noise pollution after 9 or 10 at night in many towns, but not during the daytime. That needs to change.

Anyone woh has a problem with the VA and military records might want to talk to me at the reunion. I had a lot of experience with VA/Army lasation. I worked at that big center that burnt up in St Louis years ago.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've d-mailed Tetleytuna and will post once I hear back (about the punkins). I'm the same type of morning person Leaflady, just leave me alone until I start asking questions, but DON'T ask ME to think, or you'll get snapped at. lol No more jumping or skipping (or pole-flying) for me either. I've lost some weight since my knees started bothering me so bad and cut back on calcium supplements, I was taking, added a joint supplement and they feel 10 times better than a year ago. I even took some steps (slowly) 2 at a time instead of 1 at a time with both feet, yesterday. I was proud of myself. My knees are a pretty good rain detector these days, tho. So I'm doing great to hobble around sometimes, but I insist on staying active cause that's just me, takes me longer to get things done, is all. And I'm not too proud to get the kids to help lift and dig, cause I have tested and do realize my limitations there. I'm not getting old, I'm just youth-impaired (can we get handicapped parking tags for that? lol)

No pole jumping or whatever from me! lol. Just jumping off my tailgate or somewhere on my truck. Don't do that too much cause the impact sometimes hurts. lol.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

The pole whatever is a little too "exotic" for me too. ;) I'd for sure need knee surgery if I jumped off a tailgate! Tetleytuna doesn't have access to a pumpkin patch.... if anyone wants to be in the carving contest, bring a pumpkin and a little something for the prize basket..... I have a twig basket I can bring, it's been sitting around not being used, not huge, but I'd say med. to large.

No pumpkins around here so I won't be able to do that. lol. Nice thought though!!

We had pumpkin painting at work today and we sold out of all the pumpkins by mid afternoon. They were supposed to have them tomorrow too but they have to go to plan B, whatever that is.

Over 3000 people today at PG!! A really nice crowd!! Be even better tomorrow if it don't rain til late.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

3,000 people in one day!! I'm so glad they are having a successful event. Word of mouth by happy patrons is the best advertisement the gardens can have.

I hope everyone is keeping up with what everyone else is bringing. I already have the chicken, will get the Polish Sausage Wednesday. I'll get fresh salad makings. I think maybe I'm on the wrong thread for that thought.

Oz, all of Jack's records were in that building(a dear friend of mine and her DD worked there and were on their lunch break when it started to burn)so he had a hard time proving anything was military related. When he would tell them that his records were burned in that fire some of the people we had to deal with had a smart remark or 2 about everyone claiming that their records were burned that day. There were times when my dyed red hair matched my temper. I've been to the hospital administrator's office and written him letter more than once. I always got results from a visit to his office and usually got good results from letters.

GOD bless and keep each of you. If you wanted directions and I haven't dmailed you yet dmail me again. Everyone, please do not follow those mapquest directions. And if you need help from neighbors of mine, my name is EvaMae. No one knows who leaflady is. Now if you asked where that woman who takes truckloads of leaves from Sedalia lives some could probably tell you. Others wouldn't have a clue.

Leaflady----- They did all burn with very fwew exception. As a matter of fact the top floor where all the WW11 personnel records were located burnt so intently that some pieces of paper were found several blocks away.The flames and heat rose hundrerds of feet into the air. And it did not burn for 1 day it burnt for 3 days. Your feinds must have worked in the evening because it started to burn sometime after 6pm. I had been up in that area just that afternoon about 3 pm. It was very hot up there in the summer time. There was no AC in those areas and the walls were glass. They had 5 drawer cabinets set on top of each other in a area larger than a football field and there were 3 areas that large on each floor. the official determination was it was spontanious combustion due to the heat. I have my doubts. We were having problems with finding fires in the towel bins(sometimes two of them at a time) all over the building almost daily. They were set and I would not be surprised if someone set that one. That was a terrible place to work. The attitudes and management of the whole place make a lot of us ashamed we even worked there. I went into the building on the 3rd day of the fire. It was still burning up there and we went in to pull out a lot of files that were historical,like all the prisoner of war diaries from the Philippines.

The reason the VA is suspect about anyone claiming burnt records is because a lot of people try that. When jack got out of the service he was given a seperation paper and I believe there were 5 copies. Those copies go to several different places tand are store permanently. One is your local county Draft Board and the county still holds those records until Jack died if I recall. I cannot remember all the other places but the VA would tell you right away.

As far as them saying Jacks disability was non service connected, that was the only choice they have. There must be a official military record of the disability at the time the individual was in the service. That is not the VA being hard nosed it is the LAW as handed down by congress. I know a retired artillary sergent that got turned down by the VA for hearing loss. The problem was he spent 25 yrs in the Army and he did have some hearing problem before he left the service. The problem however was only slight and his phyicial at the time he retired showed that. He came along 10 years later and had a major hearing problem. Well it may have been due to cannon fire while he was in the army but 10 yrs had passed and he had aged so the VA had no choice but to deny that claim. See that is how the law works.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST AT the RU - Those who want to participate, please bring your own pumpkin, carving tools, etc. and a small festive gift for the winner... see you all Saturday!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Last minute reminder, everyone please be sure to bring lawn chairs and card tables if you have them. Thank you.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I will bring 2 extra chairs and some extra tables in case we need them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.