Swap/door prize thread for DG RU on Oct. 13th

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

This is where you post what you are bringing & what you have requests for.

I'll start. I have dozens of small mixed color hollyhock(mostly various shades of pink with some white & pale yellow)plants and thousands of seeds for same.

I also have a couple dozen Rose of Sharon sprouts I will be glad to be in someone else's yard.

And tiny Mimosa sprouts.

I'll have some Althea Zebrina seeds and maybe some small plants for digging. Probably other plants I don't remember right now.

We'll dig plants as they are spoken for so they won't go thru so much shock. I'll have potting soil from PG but please try to bring some containers.

I have dozens of starting and small cell packs for starting seeds that PG discarded because they buy them by the thousands in sizes just right for the trays they set in. There are several sizes. I'll be glad to share them with those interested in them.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I will bring annual sweet pea seeds. I have a couple different kinds that I got from work for free.

I have a few things for swaps but am going shopping next week to see if I find anything more.

EvaMae, I tried to talk Tracey into coming but she has Tae Kwon Doe. And my grandma will come if she can get away from her garden.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope to bring a dead Armadilla for display. Other than that I only got a few hosta.

Eva May you be careful with you torch and burning the weeds. Geez,if you aim that thing in the wrong direction and it hits some of that diesel fuel mix treated areas, I am afraid it will go off like Napalm and be visable as far away as Sedalia.

Hosta are MINE!!! LOL. Just kidding!!! I will be buying a few next week at work. One will be Island Charm to use as a border. If I had room I would get T-Rex.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The df is long gone on the plants, Oz. It might burn well for a few seconds but not long as it was mixed with water. I'm not impressed with the burner for a weed killer. It did seem to burn the seeds well if I held it on them long enough but it didn't kill any plants unless I held it on long enough to see them turn black. That takes way too long and burns way too much LP. It will melt ice this winter I hope and that will make it worth keeping.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I would be honored to have a hosta from you, Oz. Any ol hosta you're tired of, doesn't even have to be fancy. I will reorganize my seed stash and I potted up a couple hardy begonia's, (more to come on that list).. I'm also bringing hib starts for Rose and brug starts for Joyce... Oz, we can use that there dead armadilla yer aimin to bring, for the centerpiece on the food table! EvaMae?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I will bring hosta, achillea (white), mum, dutch white iris, moon bush seeds, tropical hibiscus starts (if they have rooted by then very small),purple cone flower, cleome seeds, canna, iris - lost the name but all tall bearded (came from iris farm near me, have several to share, if you think someone would want some of these plants.

AuntB, I have several different kinds of hostas since you are so kind to give me brug cuttings I would dig for you, sum and substance is my favorite, but will list the others in another post.

I am excited about the ru, it will be nice to meet you all.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have alot of hollyhock seeds --- creams, yellows, purples, light pinks, and mixed from my own back yard... I bring it along...

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

In pots I will have some white hydrangea and some rose of sharon (not sure of the color). I will also have seeds of purple coneflower, 4 o'clocks and poppy seeds. I will have to check around and see what else I can come up with. I am new to gardening so I am unsure of what I am doing. I've not been to one of these before and wanted to bring one of my painted/craft pieces as well. Geez...I sound so confused!! I must be tired trying to get everything ready so we can
leave on Friday for vacation!! Will talk to you as soon as we return. ;0)

Rose

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just thought of something this morning that I will throw out for responses. I have several gardening type tops(shirts, T shirts, etc)that are way to big for me since I have lost so much weight. But they have stains that make them unsuitable for the thrift stores. I have no idea what sizes any of you women wear but I wonder if anyone might possibly want them. There must be 15 or so of them. I just hate to see them cut up into rags for mechanics or go to a landfill. Would it be ok if I put them out on a table for you to sort thru & take what you want?

As for what I would like to have, I am like a garbage can. Just leave it here if no one takes it and I will find a place for it in this acre of my yarden. I am so eager for all of you to see it. I'm working hard to get it back into shape now that my arm and shoulder are permitting it. It really got to be a mess while I was nearly one armed. Only one large bed to finish and one 5' X 19' raised bed to get finished. The rest will just need normal maintanance from now on. I will need to get the chipper/shredder out next week and use it for a few mintues to an hour. Probably have to get Holly or Kyle to start it for me. It hasn't been started in over a year. Once it has been started and gets warmed up it is pretty easy to start. I was so thrilled to be able to start my new weed eater on wheels by myself the other day. I'm eager to show that off too. I think some of you might really like to have one for yourselves once you see it and see how well it works. So much better than the ones you carry around on your poor arms and shoulders.

I'm getting so excited about this RU.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm excited, too! I'm not picky bout my hosta everyone, I love them all and don't care if I have 12 of the same kind. I have lots of shade/part sun that could still be homes. I'll bring extra brug & hib cuttings... Sure, EvaMae, I wear my garden theme shirts out and about, until they are stained, then I wear them for gardening and cleaning w/bleach. I'd take a couple off your hands. I certainly admire your independence but, don't over-due! I am excited to see your garden toys! I love power tools! So, I guess you didn't like my idea for the armadillo Oz hopes to bring? lol Oz, I know you're getting settled back in from your trip, but how's it looking for our centerpiece? Shall we plan a back-up, just in case?

This message was edited Sep 20, 2007 11:20 AM

Does anyone have a Francee hosta? I just fried mine. lol. The other 2 near it are ok but Francee got too much sun it appears.

Oz, what did you edit out? I am reeeeaally curious now!! LOL

the whole thing it was a reapt of what I said on the other thread

lol. ok

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I just discovered that I will have some moonflower vine seeds. I so enjoyed my vine this year and had as many as 27 blooms at one time. They smell divine!! I will try and get some Black Eyed Susan Vine seeds also if I can figure out where they are. Maybe by the time I get back they will be ready to harvest.

DH made our vacation plans along with his buddy so we are leaving on Sat morning instead of THIS MORNING. Can't wait to see what other surprises await us. They also made our hotel reservations!! Think I'll take an extra blanket with me just in case!! LOL!!

Rose

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

DellRose, I would love a few Moonflower vine seeds.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I try to bring some cooking and garden magazines...

pepper23, I think I have francee hosta, I will have to find the tag and make sure.

Alot of stuff in the garden has a marker but thru the years some the markers somehow get pulled out. I thought I had a brillant solutions to markers, I quit using anything breakable and I now cut aluminum stakes, cut a tag out of aluminum, and then engrave the tag. Can't break, can't fade, look nice, BUT now I find them pulled up and laying on top of the ground. My thought is DH walks thru the garden catches the toe of his shoe and the tag comes up or partially comes up and then when the dogs (bassett hound and wire terrier) go thru the garden the tags then get knocked over.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I will be sure to bring plenty of moonflower vine seeds. I will have enuf for anyone that wants some. I am hoping to find some neat stuff on our road trip to Wisconsin also. Hope do some shopping at any and all nurseries we pass on our way!

I am hoping EvaMae will help me beg for some freebies at PG. Then we will have some annuals and if we get lucky a few perennials.

I just remembered. We have the plant sale next week and whatever doesn't sell or doesn't get used in the garden is set out for us to take home. I should have stuff from there.

happgarden--- Francee are dark green centers with narrow white margins. They are generally a medium sized hosta and have a good resistance to slugs. If you have lost the tag and you have others within that color group you are never going to be sure what they are.

I think I have a couple potted up on the side of the house I will try to bring.

Yipee!! lol. I have 2 others next to francee but they are fine. I think it was in the right spot to get fried and the others got lucky. lol. I now stick my tounge out at what's left when I walk by. lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I probably have Francee, I know I did once but the tag got lost a couple or three years ago. I have moved all my hosta from that bed and hardly know what it what in the new place.

I'm looking for some Obedient Plants or seeds for them. I had them years ago and lost them. I was told they would always reseed but mine stopped successfully reseeding after a couple years.

I think it may have cooled off a bit outside so I'll go put the hose on some plants for a while and feed and water the birds. It gets dark earlier now so I need to make tracks while I can.

It would be great to have that one again. I am gonna put it behind the small hostas I am getting on Friday at work-Island Charm.

Will bring prizes too but have to hit a few stores on Weds to find them. Am hoping also to bring sweet pea cuttings if they root.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

EvaMae, I know I would put your t-shirts to good use. Nothing better to wear when you are working in the garden. And I would not have to feel guilty about stains if they are already "broke in". I had some small gourds "volunteer" this spring and since I have never had them before they stayed on the vine too long I think so I will bring some if anyone wants to tear the little gourds apart to get the seeds. There is also a garden center auction coming up this weekend and who know what treasures I may find there. Last year I got a lot of paving stones and some of those floating pots you use in water ponds.

I think I have purple obident plant, out by the well house. I will check and if I do I will bring to the RU. Dark outside now so I can't go look. Days are shorter!.

I can donate something for the prizes.

Joyce

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Well, I pitched my little mimosa seedling, didn't get it potted up soon enough, I guess. Found it while planting hosta and it got tired of waiting for me in the water... hope I can get one from you Eva Mae, I've been wanting a potted mimosa for 2 or 3 years and I found the perfect little seedling and then I neglected it.....I'll be bringing plants/seeds for swap, a garden lover's gift and food, shall I bring a little something something for prizes? Will there be a contest? DD and I are really looking forward to the RU.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Bonnie, we do door prizes which are small inexpensive items(often dollar store buys or even garage sale finds). We draw numbers and when your number is called you get to pick a door prize. We try to have enough for each person to get 3 or 4. I know I'll have peacock feathers again.

I have both the hardy mimosa we can dig from the yarden and 2 nonhardy ones I brought home from PG.

I remember those nonhardy ones you got EvaMae. You and Alan were trying to figure out what it was, then wondered why there would be a mimosa in the compost.

Francee is a good bet for what you have Eva May. They are real common and one of the mainstays of the hosta market.

We moved about 40-50 hosta this past month into a more consolidated setting. It makes it easier to spray for deer and insectsa as well as slug control. That is not the best way to grow giants but they will still be plent big.

We are going kind of jump out of the hosta collection stuff. It is not the cheapest form of garending and at my age i am getting tired of all the work it takes to take caref of 100 plus hosta spead over 1/2 acre. We might also be getting off the lake in a year or so. All the shenaigans that go on down here all summer and on the weekend is slowly driving me away. Besides that I am 200 miles from my son and 650 from my daughter. I would like to be closer to family. We might start looking for something between Herman and New Melle Missouri.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Isn't that hard to do, Oz? Relocate and leave/move plants? I've lived in my house for almost 20 years and LOVE my big shady backyard but it's also a LOT to care for with my plants and house. I'm 52 and with my bad knees, I think I need something smaller for less maintenance..... but the thought of starting all over is not becoming to me, at all. My house is paid for, I know what's been done to it and I don't really want a house payment, again. It's too much to care for too... 4 bdrms, 2 baths and I can't keep it as clean as I'd like either... It's a lot of work, which I don't mind, but my bad knees really slow me down (makes me so frustrated). I can't really dig with a shovel anymore... I used to come home from work and put in a couple hours outside, now sometimes I'm ALMOST too tired to go out and see the new blooms or my knees hurt, but I hobble out there anyway. My kids are either living with me or in KC..... and I still have to make the bacon, somehow..... How long have you lived there? Will you take a lot with you? Am I just being stubborn?

Aunt-B---- I have lived at the lake 13 years. I get tired but it has just been doing a lot more than I can keep up with any more. A hundred hosta is only part of what we have. If I did nothing but the yard work i would notr have a problem more than likely. But I bowl in 3 leagues and play horseshoes a lot. Last Sunday my town of Laurie had a annual chalange match with Jefferson City. It started at 10AM. We pitched 7 games. I usually start about 1/2 hour are a hour before the first match becuase I need to throw about 50 shoes at least to warm up. then we had 7 matches that consisted of 40 shoes a match are another 280 shoes. so I had thrown well over 300 by the time it was all over around 2pm. Then I had a bowling league that evening at 6:30pm. And another one at 12:30pm the next day. In the morning I bowled power washed the house. That is the kind of stuff I am going to have to back off of at the age of 67. I understand the knee thing Aunt-B. I had both of mine replaced at the same time. Then 16 months later I had a 4 way by pass. Naked i look like the frankenstine monster.

Yeah we are thinking about moving in closer to the family. If there comes up a grandchild in the next year are so it will happen for sure I think. I was looking a Real Estate listing on the internet this morning. Stuff is all pretty high. I do not want to pay over 200K for another place. that would leave us a nice nest egg from this one.

Oz, you have waaaay too much energy!! Even I can't do all that!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Good Golly, man! Wish I could be that active! Sounds like the operations were a success! Both knees, at the same time? I want to talk with you more about that at the RU- I'm pretty sure at some point it will be my only option, but the drs around here, from people I've talked to, don't know what they are doing on knee replacements. Now a grandchild would make a move a lot more becoming to me, too!

Anyone want a kiwi vine?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I would love a kiwi vine! Several years ago I tried to start a hardy one and it did not take and have wanted one ever since but have never seen any more.

Aunt B---- Do not wait to long on the knees. The longer you wait the tuffer it will be on you when you have it done.

I don't know if it is a female or a male one since it is a freebie just coming back to life but I will bring it. If there are any left after the plant sale that didn't sell I will grab a couple more just in case.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've been shopping and have about 6 door prizes I think. A few for the guys too. Will try to get more by the RU. The more the merrier.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.