Feel free to upload your new blooms right here!

(Zone 1)

Oh "Pretty in Pink" .... my favorite color! Ember Lace is Lovely!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

av friends..............i just talked to jannich...........got home late last night.............is wiped out............not her heart but her lungs..................she drove herself 100 miles to the hospital and said never ever again..................and then had to drive home last night............because she didn't want to bother anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I posted a thread on the av forum.............

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lin...what a nice table! Looks great in your Florida room. Amazing to see what people put out for the trash. I really like it.

Wild Rose...the Ember Lace flowers are so beautiful with the pink in the leaves. Look at that all pink stolon, too. I know life can get rough sometimes and I feel for all the worries you must have. Gifts of nature like this wonderful episcia add such joy.

Gessiegail...I hope your Ember Lace revives. It's a beauty.

Strep 'Blue Mars' is starting to pick up steam...it's 25" across and still a young plant.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh........................Snow, she is 25" across and still a young plant..............this just isn't fair................I want all your knowledge in a short span of time...............(just teasing).......but you can really grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Blue Mars is a great hearty large grower with little effort on my part. Bemedel has it too. Ask her.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

her pictures of her streps looked great............I just didn't know which one was 'Blue Mars'.................

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bemedel posted her Blue Mars on another thread, Gail.

I see I didn't answer your question, bemedel, on growing kohleria. Mine grow wick'd under lights. They come in different sizes as you know...some more compact than others. Some of the taller growers take more time to mature and bloom. Which ones do you have?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Some of mine have real sturdy foliage and some look like weak tender foliage..............Flirt has the prettiest bloom but her foliage is so tender...............I have Beltane, Jester, Marquis de Sade, Red Ryder, Emily Roberts and the two peridots........Potlatch and Kitlope.........
hey...........i am getting better with names..........i did that without looking at the plants...........
Beltane I haven't seen bloom but she is a strong pretty grower...........

Oh............I do have 'Pearcea Equador' and she looks like she is beginning to try to bloom..........

(Zone 1)

Oh .... Y'all's Kohleria's are Gorgeous! Now, tell me ... do they get as big as Streps?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I bet Snow's do.......................but mine never get even half as big as my streps do..............but I have about 3 Kohlerias that have 3 plants to a pot and they are getting pretty big...................

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i sent this pic to bmedel who had the leaf I sent her with no petiole................and the babies were growing from the mid vein.....................a man told me that if I needed a leaf to stick and it had no petiole...................to get a razor blade and make a new one by cutting up the mid vein................here is a picture of one i did............he then said to lightly scrape with the razor up and down the "newly made" petiole.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Gail: Is that a Kohleria leaf or an AV leaf?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

oh.............that is just any old av leaf that I grabbed to show bmedel what to do....................
if you don't have a petiole and need one......................to stick it and grow............it was already a small leaf............

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wowzers! Everyone has an amazing collection of AV's and Gesneriads!! It makes me want to startup again with them...lol!

I always luv the unusuals and the pentadenia orientandina is a cool one.

:) Donna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So many awesome plants in the gesneriad family. You should start back again, PerennialGirl,...enjoyable year round.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I know I should..lol. It's just hard to find any cool ones here.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I do hear that from the Canadian folks. There are some US vendors that ship to Canada. Also there are a few Canadian Ebay sellers that offer some nice plants. I don't know what might be available in your area. Too bad Canada is so strict with any importation of plant material. Maybe it's good in a way but makes it difficult for the hobby growers and collectors.

There is a line of gesneriads I love called Peridots from western Canada I believe. They have hybridized some terrific kohlerias and more. This is a sinningia called 'Peridot's Darth Vader'. It has very dark nearly black leaves.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't even realize Kohlerias could be this color AND this beautiful...........wow

Morning all! I've got comments to make and pictures to show, but this thread is awful long. Gail, why don't you make a part 2 so dialup people can see it and I'll comment and post pictures on that one! :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how to do it..............I have known that it is too long.................will you do it for me???????????? good morning, Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to see your pictures, too!!!!!!!!

Sure I'll do it! :o) All you do is just make a new thread and then put a link to it here on this one. I'm typing an email, but will be done with that in about 5 minutes. If you haven't started a new one, I will. :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how to do it.............please do it, Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I will! :o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to hurry and get dressed...................be back after lunch and see your pictures!!!!!!!!! Thanks for starting a new thread............Rain
gail

*************edited to say I shouldn't have done that...........will you put your link after my post, rain?

This message was edited Sep 23, 2007 7:27 AM

You're welcome! :o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I will just make a quick reply on this thread (it is too long but such a good one, Gail). The photo you commented on.of Peridot's Darth Vader is a sinningia not a kohleria.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

that is even more exciting...........thanks..........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.