Forcing paperwhites and amaranthus bulbs for Christmas

Ogden, UT

I would like to get the youth where I work get involved in growing bulbs for Christmas this year.
I read an article stating you can just place gravel in a container with water and they will grow.
I am thinking it probably takes 4-6 weeks.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so, when should I start exactly?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

For amaryllis (I'm assuming that's what you meant), 4 to 6 weeks is correct... but it's hard to predict when exactly bloom will result. Once the bud appears, you can slow down growth and blooming by putting the pot in a cooler location.

Are these for a sale or for the kids to take home or... ? If you have good pictures, it's probably fine if they're not all in bloom when you sell them. Actually, I prefer to give people bulbs that have just started pushing up a bud, because it's fun to watch that stalk grow sooo tall and then open up into this gorgeous huge bloom.

I've had mixed results with the gravel and water method, probably because I don't monitor the water levels closely enough. Too much water, and the bulb will rot. Too little water, and the roots can't reach it (at least not at first). I think I would plant them in potting mix, which should be just barely, very slightly damp until growth starts. I had good results last year mulching with a layer of decorative gravel... helped keep the bulb in place in its pot when the bloom stalk got tall (sometimes they try to tip over).

Check out this great info page from the National Arboretum on growing amaryllis... you might just print out a copy of the information to go with each bulb, especially if you think anybody might want to keep their amaryllis growing for next year! http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/AmaryllisBloom.html

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, and you might think about asking admin to move this thread over to the bulb forum or the amaryllis forum... because I don't think you're talking about starting either of these from seed. :-)

You should check out the ad Bleek just posted in the Classifieds forum... 25 red amaryllis for $50! That's a great deal. And if you ask him, he might have a good price on paperwhites for you also.

Good luck with your project!

Ogden, UT

Critterologist,
Thank you for your help. I didn't have a subscription so that's why I posted it here.
I just signed up for a subsciption, so I can access the Bonsai Thread.
Thank you for your information.
I just teach the kids horticulture so we will not be selling them, I just thought I would let them plant them, and then when they go home they can take them home and keep them or give them as presents.
Think if I start later this week timing will be ok?
And should I start them indoors or in greenhouse?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I tend to forget about which forums are open/closed. But I'm delighted you decided to join DG! I think you'll have a blast here, and I know you'll get a lot of great info for your class.

If the kids are taking them home, then the timing isn't as critical... a bud will appear in just a week or two, and they'll like watching them grow and bloom whether or not the blooms appears exactly in time for Christmas.

I don't have any experience with a greenhouse... my amaryllis are usually started in a sunny window in my cool(er) basement. The warmer the temps, the faster the growth. Somebody in the Greenhouse forum might be able to give you advice.

Ogden, UT

Thanks, I think I will just plant them inside instead of starting the greenhouse up. One thing at a time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.