Trying to collect seed from nepeta

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I raised these nepeta this summer and I love them. I'm trying to save some seed for next year but I'm wondering if the seed falls out right away, because I'm not having much success finding the seed.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2007 12:54 AM

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, here's the picture. Also, if anyone can tell me what kind it is I would be very grateful.

Thumbnail by budbloom
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

The white flowers are nepeta? They are lovely - I've never seen any like it. About how large are they - they look big, but maybe that's because they are in the forefront. I would like to know what they are also.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, ok. After thinking this was nepeta all summer, and doing extensive searching for it - always by the name nepeta, of course, now I find out it's orthosiphon aristatus, or cat's whiskers. I had that part right, but I thought cat's whiskers WAS nepeta. Caitlin, thank you because if you hadn't questioned it I would never have questioned it either. :)

I also read that it roots well from cuttings and I'll try that. But I still want to know where the seed is. I feel dumb, because usually the easiest thing is finding the seed. But I can't, and I want to save seed for next spring, as I'm not sure I can keep a plant alive over the winter. Also I want to be able to share the seeds, as this is an amazing plant.

Peggy

This message was edited Sep 16, 2007 4:48 PM

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

nepeta is often called catmint. Did you try googling your plant? You can usually find about anything you want to know on google.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Even better - go to the tab marked Guides...at the top of the page, and then Plant Files. Type in Cat's Whiskers and there is a lot of handy comments about how easy it is to propagate. Good luck! Now I want one too ;>{

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

If I can ever harvest the seed I'll send you some. Or if I root cuttings maybe I can figure out a way to send that. I've never sent a plant, only traded seeds, but I'm willing to try. Thanks for the helpful advice - I'm learning.

Maybe this picture will give you an idea of their size. The flower heads are about 4 to 6 inches and they really show up against the dark green foliage.

Peggy

Thumbnail by budbloom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.