How are your monarchs?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hey ladygardener- didn't you hatch a monarch last summer?
After planting a new bush- purple ninebark Summer Wine- I noticed a monarch chrysalis. A day or so later, I showed the kids and we could see orange and black in it. Sure enough, the next morning around 11 am, there he/she was.

Thumbnail by sallyg

It might have come from the nursery, or maybe my yard. I have a pretty good patch of common milkweed, and had seen a big honkin' cat recently. I don't see that many of them, or that many adults.
After about ten shots, where it had just opened and then quickly shut its wings, I caught the spread wings.

Thumbnail by sallyg

and I was sure surprised to find this on an anthurium I was repotting!!
It is now a chrysalis.
I guess monarchs are relatively common, when I realize that I have never found any other type of chrysalis.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amazing pics, Sally....I hope I get those babies next year!!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally that is a really great picture! The color is so intense on the new monarchs. I just love them.

I have 11 chrysalis, a few are getting dark ready to emerage, I have never spotted a chrysalis in the "wild" I guess they are hard to spot for me and they do not seem to stay on the milk weed where they were hatched and ate.

Here is a picture I took to show the girls at work.

The rush is on to get these babies hatched and on their way, the nights are dropping down into the low 50º s and some days it is very over
cast. Just a few more days of warmth and sun.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Sally looks like you have a little boy there, had to look it up.
http://adver-net.com/monpics.html

Wow, Chris! that's great, eleven.
Yes, how funny, these two were not on what they ate as cats either. I rarely find chrysalisses...chrysaliae?
Thanks for the sexing! I have to name him now! so cool....maybe a Spanish name, isn't he on his way to central America soon?

Hey Sally! I released the first of the 11 today!
When I got home from work she was ready to be released. I opened the top and she climbed on my finger, as I raised my hand out of the aquarium she flew on my shoulder and sat just a few seconds and then took of into the air heading in a southerly direction. Looks like she is a strong fly-er!

10 more to go!!!

Congrats! You were in the presence of perfection.
I was wondering how you get them all.
I found another small cat in the garden but I think he has better odds there than if I tried to feed him. I can't commit to that right now..I think. Maybe I could set her up with a bunch of cut milkweed in a large aquarium I have. I haven't read the care. I think I'll leave that for another year.

Today 4 more! looks like 2 males 2 females. Got some pictures this time.

One fly away.

I placed him on the Sweet Autumn Clematis. They all ended up flying high into the Maple tree and rested on the leaves.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful...I'm trying so hard to get together plants for next year so I can attempt to raise some!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I've got a bunch of milkweed seed (Asclepias incarnata, a cream colored one that I think came from seeds of 'Ice Ballet'), and I'm sure I'll still have some Bronze Fennel seed left this winter... you'll have to come to the Groundhog's Day seed swap! (or I suppose I could mail you some, LOL)

Here's a monarch with my not-chocolate-daisy in the background.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And this isn't a monarch (I think it's a Variegated Fritillary), but he was hanging around on my blooming mint last weekend... sweet!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I had tons of butterflies this year. I received some scarlet milkweed seeds in a swap and planted them boy did I ever have a lot of cats on those. I'm planing on expanding my butterfly garden next year.
Critter, Did I hear the words "Seed swap"?
It's taking me awhile to get back in the swing of things. After being gone for so long there is a lot to catch up on and I picked up a part-time seasonal job. So that is cutting into my DG time. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You did... I haven't made it official in a thread of its own (a little too far in advance, I figure)... but I've been tossing around the idea of another midwinter tea party... I thought Groundhog's Day seemed like a good choice, as it falls on a Saturday. Dainty finger foods, tea (of course), seed swapping & visiting with DG friends... what a way to chase away those midwinter blahs!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pictures! I had something really odd happen this year. I was so pleased because the Monarch caterpillars were all over my Bronze fennel this summer. Counted 21 at one point! Just about the time I wanted to get a few pictures, I found them dropping like flies, curling up and dying a slow death?? Never seen anything like it before - anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Groundhog Dog - perfect!! Better get busy taking my cuttings :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, what a great idea. I've been saving some seeds. And such a great way to chase away the mid-winter blues.

rc... Are you sure the cats were not swallowtails they can be mistaken for the monarchs with the stripes. Monarchs feed on milkweed, maybe that was the problem. That is a strange happening, might want to post in the butterfly forum.

I have had monarch cats run away from me, I go to get the clippers to cut off the milkweed leaf it is feeding on and when I get back it is gone. LOL

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.