Collecting "green" seed

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all- first time on this forum!!!

My question: Will undried seed pods and berries that are cut and brought indoors to dry yield viable seed?

Specifically, green hosta pods. I hybridize hosta, and usually wait for the pods to dry on the scape and burst b/f I collect the seed. Unfortunately, some seed always seems to scatter and I wind up with a million hosta seedlings all over my lawn! Digging deep-rooted hosta seedlings really rips up the sod (maybe I'll use hosta instead of grass?). Can I cut the scapes bearing green pods now? Will they ripen into viable seed, or do they have to stay outdoors until they split open?

I have the same question with Solomon's Seal berries and JIP berry clusters. The SS's will get eaten up by critters if I leave them until really ripe.

Thanks!!!
-Melissa

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Solomon's Seal will ripen on a plate inside as long as

#1 they are purple and
#2 at least some of them on the scape are soft and ripe.

Don't know about the hosta, sorry.

Suzy

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I would wait until the pods look a bit past prime...they may yellow and shrink a bit.

Bring inside and put on a plate. You should keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't mold. Turning them over a few times a week so that the same side does not come in contact with the plate all the time should do.

I've never done hosta personally, but I've saved seed from plants that weren't dry and crispy, and that's the way I handled it. In my experience, I got a fewer number of viable seed by harvesting early....some more, or less, depending on what the plant was. Depending on how valuable the seeds are, you may want every single one to mature...(and I know in some circles, new hybrids get very pricey)

You might try this method...and there's another that you may give a try. Loosely bag the stalk with a knee hi hose. Wrap a bit of cotton at the base of the stem where you want to tie it so you don't crush the stem. When the plant has dried, cut the stem and bring it inside...open over a bowl and shake out your seeds. The success of this also depends on the individual plant variety...but you might try some both ways.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Melody!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

With all plants... the riper they are the higher germination you get... nature normally only releases seed once they are ready to sprout!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Over-ripe peppers yield fewer viable seed than prime fruits. Depending on what you are harvesting, check and see whether you need peak produce or stuff to the more 'rotten' side.

Peppers need to be as close to peak as possible...cucumbers, on the other hand need to be over-grown gourd-like and almost falling apart.

different veggies yield different results.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Very true.. but only just fertilised is a little too green! lol

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I read somewhere that as long as the hosta seed is black in the green pods you can harvest them and let them dry inside. Bev

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't know about hostas, but I have cut the green seed pods from crape myrtles to keep them from seeding volunteers in my yard and then stored them over winter in my garage where they dried and split open to release the seeds. I have grown lots of new crape myrtles from those seeds. I still have tons...anyone want some? (sorry, chaff included).

JoAnn

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, someone please tell me where the seeds are on the hostas. I hve a lot of them, but have just always bought them and would love to harvest the seeds.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The seeds of hosta are on the long bloom scapes in the form of pods that hang down. It depends on how old the plant is when it blooms. Here is a picture of scapes with pods.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
(Zone 7a)

And then - when looking down the maws of impending frost - there's jars of water:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4060137

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm... I've always waited for the hosta pods to open on their own. I'd be curious to know whether seeds from the green pods would work.

LorraineR, I've noticed that *some* of my hostas don't seem to set seed pods... or, at least I've never *seen* any pods on certain varieties of mine. Perhaps that's what you're experiencing?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Some hybrids of many species are sterile...if your hostas are not producing seeds, that might be what is happening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.