YELLOW ADENIUM OBESUM (FINALLY !!!), AND MORE :)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Hello,
I just got some new adenium hybrid plants. Some very unique colors....and of course the amazing yellow one...finally !!! We have yellow adenium that we've been waiting for !!!

Thumbnail by seraphine
Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, just simply wonderous; by the way, where did you get it?

Larry

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Another gorgeous flower
Congratulations!
And of course
Who is the supplier?

Hello Larry,
I got these plants from my parents, they live in Indonesia. They sent them to me. This yellow cultivar called "Yello". Just been released on August this year.
I used to live in Indonesia, just moved to the U.S 6 month ago and I just can't leave my adenium collections in Indonesia. LOL :) I'm still buying more and more adenium from there.

I do believe thats the first 'yellow' ive ever seen in an adenium.
Very nice

Yes, this is the first true yellow one, even though it is still pale yellow. We in Indonesia have been hearing rumors of some nurseries going to release their new yellow adenium for about 2 years now...and it finally happen. Most of the other "yellow" adenium that I've seen before this one is not really yellow, I mean it is yellow but ony in the throat of the flower and some part of the petals. Maybe in a few years we'll get a rich golden yellow one...hmmm....

Well im in line for the one you have, its fabulous in my opinion.
I have also heard the talk of the yellows.
Yours is the first ive seen that has been worth acquiring.
Congratulations!

I have a question that I want to ask to you both. I see that both of you live in a colder zone than me. I live in zone 7b. I want to know if any of you have ever had any problem with your adenium plants in the winter. This winter is going to be the first winter for most of my adeniums. Any advice on what I should do to keep them healthy in the winter? I heard some people just let them hibernate in winter and some just put them inside the house.

Mine hibernate in a warm windowsill
My problems are with mealies and watering.
I spray a mist on them butnever water the pot
Some dont go dormant rith away
I have quite a few right now and each is different.
Im trying to get them all on the same schedule. HA!
Defenitly bring them indoors
A snap frost or freeze could cost you your beautiful plants.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Mine's are kept in the house in a western sunny window(s). So far they have kept their leaves and I do watch how much I water. Malestorm is really the expert here. I am a beginner.

Malestrom is right, the plant is fabulous and I did not know that adenium even have a yellow flower!!

Larry

Yardley, PA

That plant is amazing! I want one. Malestrom - can you imagine the grafting possibilities. (I am now obsessed with grafting. lol). I keep all of my adeniums under lights, in the house and will even get flowers in the winter sometimes. The bugs are a pain in the neck.
In your zone I would definitely NOT keep them outside. Malestrom is right, if you get below 32 degrees, you could very well lose those plants very easily.
If you don't have room in your house for that yellow one, I will volunteer to take it for you! Just kidding.

Thank you for the information you all. I'll just do the same to my adeniums. I hope mine don't have problem with the winter. This plant has been one of my favorite since I was in in Indonesia. I don't have to worry about the winter there though.
I'm so glad to find people who live in colder climate and having no problem at all with the winter. I did worry a lot about whether my adeniums will survive the winter or not (but doesn't really stop me from buying more and more...LOL:))

I'm currently listing some adeniums in ebay, including the yellow one, in case any of you interested. Everytime I order some of the newest cultivar I always have to order at least 3 plants of the same cultivar and have to be in the waiting list for 3 weeks to 3 months to finally get them. One of those plants will go to my personal collection and one go to my parent's personal collection. I have one left for each of those cultivars that I'm currently selling in ebay. Just search for the auctions by the user orcguy.

And here I attach the picture of the last new adenium that I recently got. This cultivar called "The Peach".

Thumbnail by seraphine

Hi Sally,
When you say that you keep the adenium under lights does that mean under the sunlight that goes through the windows or you are using artificial light ?

Yardley, PA

If you are keeping them inside you will not have any problems - except the bugs. You stay on this site and you will soon find that a cold climate will never stop any of us from buying many more plants than we should. My son had a dream that he woke up and he had plants in his bed. Yes, it is that bad! lol.
You are not helping matters with these gorgeous plants. I am going right now to check out your site. Thanks. Sally

That's what I feel too....no mater what the climate is I always think I can still do something so I can grow some of the tropical plants that I love so much. There are lots of things that I need to learn though.
Now that Sally meantion about grafting adenium, do we have to wait until certain time of the year for grafting adenium here? Or we can just do it anytime? Maybe not in the winter...but what about spring and maybe fall? In Indonesia grafting can be done all year long, we only need to be cautious of rainy days.

The key is to provide bottom heat, intense light, humidity
and also it needs to be done in an active growth period.

I looked at your e-bay site and will say that im leary of shipping from over seas.
Many years in plumeria have taught me that its best to find a US dealer who ships from overseas to themselves and then resells here.
That way the whole phytosanitary certificate & inspection issue and overseas shipping costs are taken care of by the reseller.
Id be quite likely to buy under those circumstances.
I have had plants seized by the dept of agriculture and its no fun...

This message was edited Sep 14, 2007 12:51 PM

Yardley, PA

I keep them under artificial lights on a plant stand. I now actually have 8 plants stands that have taken over my living room. This is just part of the set up.
What is inside are my african violets. I will reset this up to bring my plants indoors.

Thumbnail by Sally0

Well Malestrom,
If you really is very interested in buying those plants maybe I can order some more to be sent to me (don't know how long I will be in the waiting list) and I'll send those to you in the late spring, because it is probbaly winter already when I finally get those plants and I will wait until it is warm enough here before I have them sent to me.

Oh wow Sally, that is a great idea !!! Do you think my husband will be upset if I do the same thing to our living room? LOL :)

Yardley, PA

Oh dear, hear we go again. I guess you didn't read Chris' thread. lol. Anyway, put me on the list, too! I am interested. Thanks. Sally

Ok Sally, you are in my list too...LOL:)
The mail man just delivered 1500 adenium seeds for me and I'm a very happy women now (even though I know my husband won't be happy when he finds out how much space in our house this 1500 tiny creatures will take when they get bigger)..LOL:)
Got to go to sow them.

Take care everybody, talk to you again later.

Seraphine

Yardley, PA

What is nice when you have so many is that I can sneak in a few and my husband doesn't even know now!! lol.

You 2 are devious lol!
Yes im interested ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.