Lunch at the (post-DBG) PLANT SWAP!!!

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Hi All,
We are wondering how many will be able to come to our place for lunch (and the swap). It would be a GREAT help if you could email me at gardenColorado@gmail.com with numbers, please? We will cook sloppy joes and provide the softdrinks, plates, plasticware and cups.

Are there any volunteers to bring salad(s), fruit (or fruit salad), chips and desserts?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I will be there, possibly with 1 friend ( I will confirm). I am allergic to just about everything, so I will bring my lunch and be sociable.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Lol greenjay.
I am hoping I can come, dh in tow. I will make sure by this evening. I would be glad to bring dessert if I come! Or I can bring whatever you need, I just know right now that I will have flour, sugar and baking soda on hand that day.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

I'll be there. Still trying to decypher the gf. She is working, so can't get off, but would like to come? I am so confused! LOL If she isn't at DBG, I know GJ has the family card, and I have a plus 1 guest to get into the members sale. Will gladly bring whatever to the party.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

At this point Theresa ( Santa Fe Trail) and I are planning to come. My radiation treatments so far haven't bothered me at all, in fact they provide a great excuse to go to Santa Fe every day and shop or have lunch.
Theresa has to work on Friday but will try to get off early. I will go for treatment in the morning. As soon as she gets off we will head out and will get in late at night. Theresa has joined DBG so I think she can get me in, but we will try to be there early like the rest of you.
Any of this could go south at any time, but right now it looks as if we are coming. We can stop by some deli and bring a salad to your house Mtnmama. We will need the address. If all this falls through, I will let you know.
The beautiful brug I bought last year at DBG for $6 started blooming today. It was so bug ridden at the end of the winter I am amazed it made it, but it seems to be doing great.
I am really looking forward to seeing all of you from before and meeting those of you who weren't around last year.

I'm not a DBG member, either....

Art-n- Anything dessert-ish would be wonderful!

We usually have a veggie platter handy for my oldest so we will cover the fresh vegetables.

Vadap--would you mind bringing a potato salad? (King Soopers' deli has some pretty good ones). If you don't like that salad, please choose something you like better. OK?

Pajaritomt--SO happy you are doing well!!! Chips would travel well--would that be OK with you? (Unless you would rather do something locally).

GJ--We like sociable:) I didn't know about your allergies, I'm sorry.

So far, we have:
GJ 2
Art-n-garden 2
Vadap 2
Pajaritomt 2
Mtnmama 4 (maybe 3)
Trisha 2
(edited to add)

I will dmail directions (had planned on hitting "reply" when folks wrote to the gmail address in the first part of the thread but this will work just fine). Will try to get that done in the next day or so....
D.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2007 7:00 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

As long as you email, dmail your address ( and hopefully a few directions) by Friday AM, we will get it.

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

I'll be there too -- how about if I bring fruit? I'll be at DBG for the 8am opening -- shooting for 7:45 or earlier. Thanks to my brother's generosity, I have a membership that can get 2 additional people in as members -- so if you're not a member but want to get in at 8am, come find me ;-)
Trish

Oh yea I totally forgot about admisson into the DBG! Last year was National Museum Day or something like that so we didn't have to worry about admission.
Does it cost to enter the sale? I may have to skip the garden tour section if I'm too naughty at the sale. I'm sure dh wouldn't be too sad about that, lol!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Art, sounds like we are loaded for admissions, so show up early and in with us you can go! Tater salad it is. I can get soopers or costco(better I think) and will tell my brother it isn't for him, as it is always in our house.

That would be so great- thank you. We will be leaving the Springs early early-- so I will hopefully get there at least by 7:45ish.

Last time we got there early but had a hard time finding the group until things settled down at the sale a bit ... so maybe someone should bring a sign to put up? Or something....I don't know. Now I know what everyone looks like- except the people that weren't there. I guess I can bring one since I'm the art teacher!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

DMail me with your cell & I will return with my ##, you can of course call me to see if I am the person standing next to you in line...

Trisha, fruit is perfect! If you don't mind my tagging along on your brother's card, I'd really appreciate it!
Diane

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

Diane, be my guest! We'll see if we find another solo who needs to get in at 8am. BTW folks, I don't think they're charging admission for the sale, but you have to be a member to get in at 8. ArtN, want to join us?

I would very much like that! Although I will have my DH with me. I guess one of us in for free would be better than neither of us. If I told him about this I'm sure he'd say....it's ok, I can leave! Lol. Count me in either way. :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will ask Theresa how many she can get in on her card. If others can get two in, I bet she can. Maybe she will be able to get your DH in. I will let you know.
Betty

Art--Didn't Greenjay say to dmail for her cell phone number earlier in this thread? Someone said she had a family pass--we should be set.

Kenton is planning on joing the gang--is he a member?
Diane

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

art_n,
On the other thread I said that Theresa can only get in one other person on her DBG card which she can't find. So guess we can't help you with your DH.
Betty

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

My gf has to work, so won't be there. Art, I have me plus 1, so drag him along. And if he is afraid of being stuck with a bunch of women, I'm 6-2, 240lbs of concrete truck driving man who loves nascar and football, as much as plants. It'll be fun!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the gals are tougher than the guys on this expedition.... LOL

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

I learned long ago to never underestimate the power of a woman! And after some of your stories and what you have accomplished at your place GJ, I'd never doubt yours.

Lol. I like that combo, nascar, football, and plants. Sounds like me! Well thank you, I will bring him along.

Oops thank you Diane, I didn't see greenjay's post about the cell phone number. I will dmail now.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is a proposed topic for discussion tomorrow:

I just got an email from the volunteer outreach coordinator at DBG, as follows:

"Denver Botanic Gardens is putting forth an effort to grow & diversify our
internet presence, ultimately resulting in the connection of more plant
enthusiasts with Denver Botanic Gardens. We currently have an IT focus group
tackling this issue and brainstorming ways to accomplish this goal.

As a result, we are looking for approximately 5 "web-savvy" volunteers to
work from home and help us with this task. Responsibilities include:

1. Work with Marketing / PR & "Tech Team" to post web site entries that
will result in the recruitment of plant enthusiasts to DBG
2. Maintain web postings on social networking sites with current
information about DBG
3. Report status and work closely with DBG staff on current events & PR
information

Volunteers should be familiar with social media sites such as MySpace,
Facebook and YouTube. Volunteers need to have personal access to a computer
with an Internet connection and should expect to devote 2 to 3 hours per
week, starting in late October. "

I personally have some very strong opinions about this kind of "marketing", but I would be interested in hearing what you all have to say as well.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks to MtnMama for hosting the post-sale lunch & plant swap. I had a fantastic time, and I'm sure others did too!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, too, would like to thank mtnmama for the lovely lunch at her house after the sale and the plant swap and the door prizes for everyone. It was delightful to meet your family and see your pond and just hang out with everyone. It made the trip lots more special. I am so glad the weather cooperated. We were in rain most of the way from Walsenburg to Los Alamos. Nothing against rain but I am glad it waited until the whole lovely weekend was over.

You cannot believe how wonderful you folks made our weekend! We are still talking about the fun and fellowship we had:) And my garden is SO much the better because you weren't shy to help with everything! Thanks for coming and now that you know the way--"Y'all come back now, ya hear?!"
me/Diane

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Ditto! Thanks for the hospitality of you and your family, mtnmama. Had a great time, and even got fed(that's very high marks in my book-LOL). Thanks to all of you for your generosity with plants and seeds, and thanks for your freindship. I look forward to being a contributor of plants and seeds next year.

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

Ditto again, mtnmama! Thanks to you and your family for hosting lunch and an invasion of wacky gardeners ;-) And thanks to everyone for welcoming the newbies, and sharing stories, plants and seeds, and wicked humor! I had a blast, and I'm looking forward to the next get-together.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.