saving winter squash seeds

Cazenovia, NY

Hi Ho to all of you!
I've grown a garden for many years but this is my first time at saving seeds.(hope to make to wonderful gardening feeling last longer).
I grew some wonderful Harris's Seed Betternut (not misspelled)Squash F1. They were grown in the same large garden plot as summer squash. Will these winter squash come true next year? Winter squash is one of our favorite vegtables from the garden. I'm the one that always brings the squash for the Thanksgiving feast so, want to make sure they will be the same as the mother plant.
Thanks so much for all your thoughts.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

F1's are hybrids, so chances are, they won't be exactly like the parent...you won't get acorns or crooknecks, they will resemble a butternut and taste like one for the most part...size of fruit, dryness of flesh, productivity and such things may be affected...but if you aren't looking for an exact carbon copy of the parent, by all means, have a go at it....Butternuts are great squash.

Cazenovia, NY

Thanks for your time. I think I may be wise to buy fresh seeds for 2008. Don't want to chance not having great squash for the Thanksgiving feast.
I'll save seeds from my calendula, beans and some other garden treasures. I use the calendula in the soap I make for the family. Think I'll wonder through the neighbors yard with bags in hand!!!!
Have a wonderful day,Debby

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

cazgram, howdy neighbor, we're organizing a vegetable seed swap for thanksgiving and would appreciate your squash seeds. You're welcome to join our swap, too if you want more seeds.

Cazenovia, NY

Hi Mittsy, Sorry that I didn't respond earlier. Been to a willow basket workshop and slightly punchy!!!!
I decided to just try and save a few seeds this year. I'd saved my calendula seeds last year and had great success. Now going to add some to my keep list and see how they do.
If you don't mind getting your address to me I'd be more then happy to send some of the squash seeds to you. I understand from what melody says , they may not come true.
There is so much to learn and quite exciting!!!
Have a perfect fall day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.