Seperating Chaff from seeds

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Just wondering who besides me are having a hard time finding the time to sit down and husk-out the seeds sorta speak. I have been collecting spent flower heads for a while now. Got lunch paper bags filled with dried pods and blooms. However, it's finding the time to sit down and "shell the peas" that I have a hard time doing.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Cordeledawg,

I have been gathering flower heads and drying, but I can't tell the chaff from the seed. Now that is a bad problem. I am new to gardening, so I just keep it all, will plant it all, and pray something comes up!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey Traci, if you ever have a spare minute check out this sight:

http://theseedsite.co.uk/

I was all a-tither when I first stumbled upon it. It is a veritable gold mine of seed saving information ...everything from where to find the seeds, to what they look like to seedling images. It lists plants that I even forgot I had and would never have thought of save their seed.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Lala,
Thanks sooo much. I would not have spent TWO hours trying to figure out what kind of seed I had. It was labeled as hummingbird vine, but It was not like my hummingbird vine seeds. After EXTENSIVE search, I finally found it was trumpet vine and immediately decided against it.

I am about to go to Coleus and post some pics for everyone. That is after I look at this seedsite some more. lol.

To funny. As I started looking at site, it is the same one where I finally found the seed and I already have it bookmarked.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 12:53 AM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That is a great website! Planting chaff and all would work unless you want to trade seeds with someone. That's the reason I try to seperate the chaff as best I can. Last year before I had learned what the Echineca coneflower seeds looked like, I realized I had tossed the seeds and enveloped the chaff. Grrrrr

Deborah

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Cordele,
As I could not begin to tell you what flower is which, I would be to afraid to attempt swapping. The flowers I have deadheaded were in the yard when we moved in. As I learn more, I will venture into the world of trading. Right now, I just have to find the seed. ;^)

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Pupil, I know what you mean. When I first discovered that the brown dust of Flowering Tobacco was actually the seeds, I was stunned. I had thought that the plant must be sterlie after disecting a sack full of spent blooms, tossing them all in the trash. Live and Learn.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Cordele,
What are you doing still up. It is 2:45 in the morning!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL! And you? Actually, it's later than that for me here in Georgia. "grin"
I am mapping out a layout on paper for planting spring bulbs. Daffodils, Muscari, Alliums and a few others. Trying to come up with some kind of color groupings and planning early, mid and late bloomer groups. When the suns shinning I'm out in the beds pulling up grass and weeds that I couldn't do in the heat of July and August!
This is the only time I have peace and quiet around with my DH and pets asleep! LOL

This message was edited Sep 12, 2007 4:02 AM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Working late. Dropping in to do some browsing when I get a chance. I work from home, so I have been known to work for 2 days straight. I need to start a layout as we just bought our house and I just started gardening. But between work, DH and DD, all I have time for is a little research. I have definitely upped my patience skill with gardening. I am actually about to go to sleep for a couple of hours as my DD of 2 1/2 just work up with a nightmare and is in our bed. I secretly love it because I get cuddle time. Of course my husband I agree when he says she must sleep in her own room. I don't think he has caught on to the fact that when I work late, if she happens to have a nightmare, I always end up closing shop so I can snuggle. have fun in the gardens tomorrow. I will watch out for you on my late nights.

Traci

My snuggle bunny

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Precious and adorable! I'd want to snuggle too! So proud that you are fortunate to stay at home and from your home office. Alot less stressful I'm sure of it.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cordele,
I don't have any flowers as I am so new to gardening, so she is my substitute. She is definitely the prettiest thing I've ever grown. How did the layout go? Hope you enjoy your day gardening. I am an insurance adjuster, and even though I do have a home office, which I do love by the way, I have to go out on inspections. I am running out the door now. Don't be a stranger and I will look to see if you are midnight gardening on my next all nighter.

By the way, where is Cordele, GA? I have been all over GA, but have never seen it. You must be Lower GA as you are 8a. My DH and I took our first vacation to Savannah. What a beautiful city. I love the Riverwalk and all the little Irish pubs. The open market is awesome too. The old oak tree, was it in the cemetary, is amazing. Heck the cemetary is amazing. We want to go back soon.

Off to climb some roofs,
Traci

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

If you blinked, you missed it and the landmark Missile/rocket. Cordele is 65 miles south of Macon, 35 miles north of Tifton. Both a straight shot in either direction. I-75 runs through Crisp County, "The Watermelon Capital of the World"(little plug for our Chamber of Commerce ""grin""l. As a matter of fact, I can see the tops of trucks from my sunroom window. There is a pond and cow/horse pasture between my property and the highway.

Oh Sweet Savannah, how I love her so! Goreous city and a history-lovers paradise! (that would be hummwaa!) We visit there about twice a year when DH has to go for trade show conventions.

I stay up late alot. Mostly read and post on the butterfly forum. I just started raising butterflies.

Last year was my first year gardening. This year was the first time I really saw my seedlings bloom. I wintersowed seeds which was an extremely successful way of having new plants without spending a fortune. Go to the wintersow forum and learn how.

To save money on plants and get instant gradification, keep a watchful eye out for inexpensive plants on the co-op forum. That's were I buy most of my plants.

But to really save money and multiply plants in your beds go to the plant and seed forum. Being a newbie, you can "trade nothing" to receive plants, cuttings or seeds by just paying a trader for the postage/shipping.

I'll be digging and moving daylilies and a few perennials some time in October. I'll be more than happy to send you some if you want them. JLMK

Now's a good time for you to start some lasanga beds. Have you heard of or tried this gardening technique?

Stay safe on those roofs, for goodness sakes! Hugs to your sweetie-pie and Happy gardening!

Deborah

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I just typed a huge message and lost it. I have to run on an emergency fire loss. Changed my whole day. I would love to continue our conversation. I will see if you are around when I get back.

In closing, once again it has been proven to me why I love DG. The welcome home feeling, no one is a stranger, advice flows freely without condescending tones and generosity is amazing. I can't wait till I have more to give back, because it has to be a great feeling to help people along this journey called gardening.

Running out the door,
Traci

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.