Overwintering ... holp!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I just read Critterologist's very informative thread about cuttings (thanks!) and would like to segue into Overwintering plants. I think I can handle the Coleus without too much stress, but are there some general rules to follow? Certain plants that can and some that can't?

Specifically, I had Mandevilla last year that I tried to overwinter - it died, painfully and slowly, poor thing. I have another one this year that is doing really nicely and I'd love to be able to keep it around. Are tropicals different? Should I be letting it go dormant or keep up the amount of sunshine, warmth and water as always once going indoors? Cut it back? Trash it and fahgedabboutit?

Any help is appreciated- I'm definitely tropically disabled.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You should be able to overwinter mandevillas, I've kept them in a greenhouse over the winter and they do fine. I would keep giving it light and water throughout the winter (although not as much water as in the summer of course). If you put it in the dark and stop watering it, that'll work for some plants that like to go dormant in the winter, but I don't think you can do that with mandevillas. Maybe someone else has tried that and been successful, but I've always kept them awake with light and water.

Pagancat,
I agree with Ecrane.
Last Fall, I did some pretty extensive research about this very thing.

I followed the advice that I'd compiled and was thrilled with the results. My Mandevilla did great indoors, in a south facing window. I waited till the ground was nice and warm (about 2nd week of June, here) before planting it in the ground.

I introduced it back to the outdoors, starting in Mid May, but only when it was above 60º and took it back indoors at night. I only left it outdoors, afer the night time temp was above 60º.

In the early Fall (2006), I pulled the 10" pot of it up out of the ground, gave the roots a heavy pruning, and re-potted in fresh MG potting soil. I cut the top back to about 20"..(I just left about 4 main branches, and trimmed off all the side shoots.

I watered it good, then took indoors to a sunny south window.

The main thing that I heard over and over again, while researching winter care indoors, was DO NOT OVERWATER. Let it dry out to the point you think it will surely croak....then water lightly.

I was skeptical about it, but decided to give it a try. It worked....beautifully.
I also think part of the success was from the heavy root pruning that it got before going indoors. That really slowed down the top growth-which can get way out of hand-Quick!-indoors.

By early spring, it was pretty active, and had to keep it cut back often, lest it take over curtain rods, picture frames, wall sconces, etc., but that was more fun, than aggravating. LOL

I hope you'll give this a try-it's a fun plant to overwinter indoors.

Sasha

Terrific, I'll give it a try! I wonder why my last one didn't make it...

I sure wish I could help you there, but withoutt more info, I'm at a loss....
I do wish you luck this year, tho.

Our home is kept at 73-75º in winter, if that helps any?

Mmm - you probably got that right on the first try - my sunniest window is also my draftiest, so that might have been the problem.

Thanks, you both have been a great help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.