My turn for pix...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Now I know I need to get better at actually picking people to be in the pix :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Awwwwwwwww

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I am not fond of bugs, this one I was told is a good bug (oxymoron as far as I am concerned) - and he IS cool

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have serious Deck envy - Critters deck is as big as my back yard :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Purdy :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I received a cutting from this - can't wait for it to be THIS big :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I still want to see HOW in the world they are going to fit in her basement :-)

Edited to say - "they" being the bananas - not Critter, Happy and Sally :-)

This message was edited Sep 9, 2007 4:10 PM

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have never seen to many peppers in someones "just back yard" - and they are YUMMY

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The yard with everything going on - even "happy coupling" :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Too cute - "a good bug"??

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Unbelievable

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hows this for a "mater"

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

More peppers

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Whoops - I actually managed to capture people :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Succulents

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Last but not least :-)

BTW - I learned so much from everyone - it's like having walking encyclopedias at my "disposal" - impressive :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great photos, Becky!

You're right about learning so much from everybody... Sally was even IDing my weeds! Every time I had to say, oh I don't know what that is... she knew!

BTW, the clematis you took home is a cutting of C. montana 'Rubens', which by this time of the year is mostly buried under the white-flowering Sweet Autumn Clematis. The latter is such a thug that I didn't propagate it... but if you or anybody wants some, I'll take cuttings!

See this link for more on 'Rubens': http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/clematis-montana-rubens-p-44.html

(BTW, Brushwood is my absolute favorite place for clematis and other vines... my American Honeysuckle came from there too. Somebody was asking about the pruning groups for clematis... check the Brushwood site for an easy explanation: http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/grow_clematis.php)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Love the pics, Becky!!!

That was me critter re the pruning groups...thank you!!! Is that the name of the clematis you gave me as well?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes! I think I might have written "Rubra" on the pot, but the variety name is actually 'Rubens'.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Y'all are so beautiful. I wish I had been there.

Critter, your yard looks so lush! It's been so hot and dry here, even with watering everything is struggling. The grass crunches when you walk on it.

What kind of tomato is that? I grew some of the heart shaped tomatoes this year - Russian 117. They are delicious.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That oxheart tomato is 'German Red Strawberry'. It's been a favorite here for several years now... productive, meaty, and delicious, just bursting with flavor. I know I put one into the bruschetta...

:-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I definitely want to try some more oxheart tomatoes next year. I'll put that one on my list.

I got such a late start and my tomato plants were so tiny I didn't think I'd get any tomatoes from them but I went ahead and planted them anyway. They have more than caught up with the ones I bought and are outbearing them by far.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got seeds left from last year that seemed to grow true for me this spring... Dmail me to give me a nudge when seed-trading season comes around, and I'll pop some in the mail to you! (or come to the midwinter tea, LOL)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sounds great, Critter. I know I have tomato seeds left too. I'm not sure about the Russian 117 but I'll see if I have any of those.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ooooh, that 'Rubens' grows in the shade, I read! I'm going to grab some scissors the next time I'm at your house, Critter, and sneak a clipping of that beauty! It is really lovely, and I have just the place for it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll get some dormant cuttings underway this fall...

Here's a photo of it in bloom... doesn't do justice to the pale pink color or delicately sweet scent!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Question - are there any places in MD that can be compared to the pottery outlet in Williamsburg? Since I would love to take a weekend trip to the place in Lovett for the trellises - what about pottery?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill: Many thanks for offering to do a dormant cutting, but you make me feel guilty because you do so much for us! I can just clip a little cutting and stick it in dirt in a humid location to root it, no? Usually I put pots with cuttings inside a plastic bag.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our favorite potter is at the Saturday farmer's market every other weekend... I'll have to figure out which is "their" next day! There are some great places in Frederick for antiques, though, including one place that must occupy most of a city block... http://www.emporiumantiques.com/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, I actually have another little rooted cutting... all we have to do is repot it... I stuck it in one of the pots that I thought contained only a "dead" bellflower from Hart, but now there are leaves that I think are bellflower leaves... and I want to keep the bellflower! LOL

I'm planning to take dormant cuttings of a bunch of things this fall, because it sounds so easy to do. Then I'll have some special starts to share around next spring! :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Alright, rooting for dummies here again...what's a "dormant cutting" - I know what the 2 words are separately but together, huh?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

New concept to me last year, although I didn't give it a proper try... I'll try to find the thread in propagation forum with the instructions...

It's basically just as it sounds... cuttings of dormant wood (fall/winter), stored in (if I remember rightly) damp sand... by spring, calluses and roots have started forming!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

You can also root hardwood cuttings in trenches by making a furrow in a sunny sheltered site, then putting some coarse sand in the bottom of the furrow to improve drainage.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ooooo....like the sounds of this!! Getting some cuttings in a trade...not sure that they'd be dormant yet though.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Great pictures! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time at Jill's!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

New thread to see if we can't manage to meet up this coming Saturday... garden stuff, antiques, etc... maybe Lilypons, too... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/772242/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.