Fall seed swap?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe that earlier this summer we discussed having a fall seed swap . . . I can't possibly organize this (have six courses and two directed studies this term) but, I want to know if this swap is still in play because there is another thread asking for donations of extra seeds and they want them before Oct. 12.

However, if I know there will be a seed swap, I will reserve seeds for that, and donate the rest.

Cheers,
Michaela

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Michaela

There will more than likely be several swaps before to long. Not sure if I am going to try to do one later on or not. But I am sure someone will.

Connie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Anybody else sorting their seeds? Yesterday, I sorted my seeds according to the winter-sowing site seed list for me zone. I have envelopes of seeds to plant for each month, from December until May.

I am really finding it hard to wait - I just like growing things.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Seandor, you've inspired me to start organizingy seeds--haven't done much yet but I DO have a huge collection of jugs and bottles which have spread like a tide of plastic across my basement floor. I vowed last Spring that I would be more moderate in my WS-ing, but to heck with that !

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I am trying to convince DH that I need LOTS of containers - if he doesn't start saving them, I will BUY them . . . boy - will that annoy him lol.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

I donated all my seeds to the newbies this year. I felt for me it was the right thing to do. I have SO much to start this winter that I really needed to unload and not get anything in return *lol*
Michaela....guess what? I have 4 Blue Pygmy babies which each have 4 to 5 leaves :)

Thank you :)

Kim

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Great! I planted mine this weekend - about 42 of them :-)

I am putting together 20 "Care Packages" for Newbies that will have an assortment of seeds to try.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I received some seeds last fall and was suppose to send Ice Carnival daylily fans. I cannot remember who they were from.
Do I owe you?

Teresa

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Not sure to whom you are addressing this, bluegrassmom - I sure would like to take advantage of this offer of Ice Carnival daylilies - but I must be honest and say it wasn't me - maybe it was Kim. :-)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Teresa, I have one D-Mail from you and it wasn't regarding Ice Carnival :(
Sounds like a nice daylily though :)

Kim

(Zone 7a)

Seandor, I'd be interested in a seed swap. Anita's swap was great for its simplicity - you sent in x number of packets and got x back. And all the swaps on WS last year were fun for kibbitzing and getting to know other seed hounds.

But I also liked the way PepsiDrinker and AliceWho organized their swaps because of the flexibility - you could either send in x packets and get x back OR send in extras. You could personalize any packets beyond the minimum, or all of them. I don't remember exactly how Pepsi organized hers, but it worked.

I do remember Alice's system which assigned a number to each participant which made the extras & personalizations easy on her, and she also asked everyone to send in a list of what they were sending so she would be less likely to send the same seeds back that participants sent.

Alice's and Connie's swaps were probably a lot more work than Anita's, but they multiplied participants' seeds like fishes and loaves.

I also like late seed swaps, when gardening may not be so demanding and there's more time for working with seeds.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I plan to send collections of seeds, not because I expect similar amounts back, but because sooooo many people were soooo good to me last year.;

Unfortunately, I am ABSOLUTELY swamped this term - 6 courses, 2 directed studies, etc. I wonder if anyone else might be willing to step up to the plate and organize the swap?

I will take my turn in the future - but this term is impossible.

cheers,
Michaela

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I think Anita mentioned that she was planning to host another swap this fall. If something comes up and she's unable I will throw my hat in, but I'm like Michaela and pretty swamped right now. If no one else jumps in first I can host, but not 'till after the last of the garden is in which won't be for several more weeks (and if I do, it will be a simple one with it being my first time and all).

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

That's okay . . . I don't think anyone is ready for a seed swap right now - I am just cleaning cornflower seeds :-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I will definitely be watching for the swaps to start. I loosely sorted and listed my seeds and found I had over 300 packets with shameless plans to acquire more! (Who the heck do I think I am?:LOL:) Thanks goodness the stuff I hoard is relatively small:)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hahahaha . . . and I thought I was bad! :-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

The funny thing is that about a year and a half ago I sent out 8-10 packs of one type of seeds to people I saw requesting a particular variety in the Seed Trading forum. So if someone wanted some kind of sunflower that I had a pack of I would send it and 7 others just to get them gone. I got tired of all of the remaining stuff and sent a loaded shoe box of 2 yr old to new seeds to a member in Colorado for postage. And here I am right back where I started. Mind you, I live in an apartment:LOL: Don't even get me started about the co-op bulbs, hostas and iris I splurged on. Ridiculous=)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, that's basically what I am doing - preparing starter packages for newbies. :-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a lot of a few seeds.

I think all i've collected so far are

Morning Glories:
GrandPa Ott ... ( Ipomoea purpurea) [nice purple flower]
MG - heavenly blue (Ipomoea violacea)

TONS of magenta 4-O'clocks and a few yellows. (Mirabilis jalapa)
TONS of Scarlet Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica)
regular milk weed (asclepias syriaca)
TONS of Cosmos sulphureus

I'd love to trade for butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa)

**Many of my other seeds that were collected are of wild flowers that i plan to direct sow next season... so they are all mixed into a container

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are your scarlet milkweed hardy for you?

Michaela, I'll bring my box of seeds tomorrow and you can bring yours too?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I can try!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

There is a huge seed swap going on the Cottage Garden forum.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Are your scarlet milkweed hardy for you?

it's my first year for them... but i'm thinking they are an annual, as they are a tropical plant
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/604/ (confirmed)
The seeds i got this spring are from a gal in Florida.

but my best is.. they reseed like any other milkweed.

I was surprised how well they did here, and i already have a lot of seeds.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'd love to try them - although someone from FL just sent me seeds she thought I would like, I'd better make sure that isn't one of them.

Did you get monarchs?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

They did attract a lot of monarchs, but I do not believe any eggs were laid.

I may start some in the house this spring, WS included, to see if I can get blooms a bit sooner. But i do think mine were blooming in June.

as for the seeds... all the milkweed seeds i've seen, they all look alike... so you will have to know the 'scientific name' to know for sure.... unless the gal said that they are scarlet milkweed, or any other variety of Asclepias curassavica.

I've got a lot if you want some.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I have butterfly weed seeds--and would be glad to share.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I started this years Fall Seed swap for anyone that is interested - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/777638/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.