Dietes Flavida

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Here is a new dietes that I picked up at bunnings, it sure is pretty.

Thumbnail by annette68

That is a very happy flower ...it smiles.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Has the same leaf markings as a Canna ?
How big is the flower ?

yes I see the canna resemblance.Not good with sizes but they are good size.

annette68 ,
You said "they are good size"
How big do you think these Baskets of Rocks are ?

Thumbnail by ginger749

ooh getting tricky, I would say the size is the same size as my small tubepots.

Pretty close Annette .
I'll post one more Pic as a clue .

Thumbnail by ginger749

What are they?, Are they the things that you sow seeds in and grow?, if so than they are the same size as my small tubepots:)

What do you think that cream coloured square thing in the top right corner is ?

I dont have a Clue:)

Do you believe it is a Match ?

No Way........

Every Way . LOL

Thumbnail by ginger749

Very Good.......

Those Pics of yours of ( the coconut scented geranium )
Look Cool .

Thanks,Yes and the smell is Divine.

p.s the flowers on the coconut scented geranium are not a decent size they are tiny.......

And Now It's happy hour .
A glass of wind and some nibblies . :o)

I am waiting for the footy to start.......Go the Cowboys:)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Annette, dibs on some seed of your new Dietes! So what are they Kell, some sort of fungi?
Sue

No probs Weed Woman you have first dibs......

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Beauty mate! Hows Townsville today?

Absolutely beautiful weather, Spring has Arrived.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

We've had a break in the rain and had a lovely day out at a plant fair where I went to town and bought lots of things I probly shouldn't have, but hey, its a sickness!
Have you been getting any of this lovely rain?
Sue

My guess went missing ??? I thought some sort of empty gum nut or seed cup ....or some sort of nest like a wasp....something...but I never thought of a fungus gee really? ww did you get an id on that arum looking thing? what was it?....hope everyone who needs the rain is getting it ...we sure are!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Yes, I did get an ID, it is a (rumaging around through bits of paper) Drimiopsis maculata " big mouthful".
Just joking about the big mouthful part. I've left it on the plant ID site as solved, but hoping for a common name. Would you like some?
Sue

I looked it up my garden bible ...where did that id come from? cause it does not appear in my 5 kilo bible? It looked like an arum to me ...even the seed thing....just curious.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Er, Annette from Townsville ID'd it and also someone else. Go to the ID forum and there is a link in my thread that has the pic. It is a small plant, (leaves are only about 5 cm long) and the spots are a feature. It dies down through the winter and the flower isn't an arum flower, but more like a grape hyacinth, only white. Google it for pictures. I haven't been able to find it in my many big heavy books either.
Have a happy spring Sunday Chrissy!
Sue

Yes I found pictures on Google and it is in my garden bible under Hyacinthaceae (member of the hyacinth family:) ) well I never ...it looked just like the Italian Arum with a bad case of measles ha ha ha...size was deceptive

Thumbnail by

mine is evergreen here, guess we just dont have a winter.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hey ginger, that is one TINY fungus! What the heck kind of camera are you using? I used to be able to get in that close with my film SLR and macro lens combo but not with my 4 megapixel Kodak digital, darn it!

Also I like Sue's little spotty bulb - I am a sucker for anything with spotty leaves - I've got a very spotty leafed Lachenalia I have to get around to posting soon - it has stunning old-gold and red flowers.

Hi Annette, that is a lovely Dietes, IF it is a Dietes! It looks like a Dietes, but it's a VERY bright yellow and I always thought of D.flavida as another one of the white flowered group with coloured highlights. I like Dietes a lot, there are only a small number of species - they make a very nice collectable group of iris like plants. The flowers come in various shades of white or pale yellow, some accented with chocolate brown or lavender. They are all very tough drought adapted plants with evergreen leaves and so ideal for our current climate. Dietes have one odd quirk though - they re-flower from the previous years flower stems, so you should never cut these off at the end of the season, or you will cut off most of the future flowers!

The Dietes have been lumped in and out of Moraea several time in their history, but they seem to have finally gained permanent acceptance as a clearly defined Genus. They are differentiated from Moraea by having rhizomatous roots like many Iris whereas the true Moraea species all grow from corms like Gladioli. What sort of roots does your plant have Annette? Here is a list of published names with the flower colours of the ones I have personally seen -

Dietes bicolor Sweet ex G.Don - creamy yellow with chocolate accents
Dietes butcheriana Gerstner - white and yellow flowers has very wide leaves
Dietes catenulata Sweet - white petals marked with lavender and gold - probably a localised form of iridioides
Dietes compressa Klatt - white petals marked with lavender and gold - probably a localised form of iridioides
Dietes crassifolia G.Don - ?
Dietes flavida Oberm. - ?
Dietes grandiflora N.E.Br. - largish white flowers, with lavender and bright orange central markings
Dietes huttonii Baker - Now removed to Moraea, this plant has bright yellow petals with brown streaks
Dietes iridifolia Salisb. - This name is considered invalid and referred to Dietes vegeta N.E.Br.
Dietes iridioides Sweet - Smaller mostly white flowers, with lavender and deep gold central markings
Dietes macleaii Hort. ex Baker - ?
Dietes prolongata N.E.Br. - white petals with lavender and gold - probably a localised form of iridioides
Dietes robinsoniana Klatt - white and yellow flowers, endemic to Lord Howe Island
Dietes vegeta N.E.Br. - - white petals with lavender and gold - probably a localised form of iridioides

The number of named "true" species has been as low as 4 and as high as 14, depending on which botanical authority you follow - robinsoniana, bicolor, butcheriana and grandiflora are all pretty distinctive, but iridioides has a huge distribution across much of southern Africa and is responsible for most of the confusion. Another thing I like about these plants is that the hybridizers have yet to mess with them much, so the chances are that any plant you find will be "as found in nature". I will have a stack of seedling D.bicolor soon which should prove interesting - the parent plants were growing out the front of the Hilton Library and had unusually short chubby seed pods and much smaller light yellow flowers than is the norrn for the species

It's almost 1 am here, I think I'd better stop boring you all with science (LOL) and go to sleep, TTFN. KK.

Edited to fix spelling!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2007 12:52 AM

A bit late in answering but Sleep called . LOL
It is a Wood Rotting Fungus . 96% of all gardens have it .
Thing is , it is so small people don't see it .
And it is all for good .

The camera is a Nikon COOLPIX995 ( $3,000 )
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp995/

It is used by all Optometrist because of it's Brilliant close up function .
And any idiot can use it . ( No need for comment here ) lol
My Pics are used world wide by Gardening and Insect sites .

Ok if we can't see it no wonder ...isn't nature truly amazing ....golly here is me..... can't figure out how to zoom on this thing and there you have that amazing thing that shows us what fungus looks like! wow
thanks G .
Annette that yellow flower is one that I think I saw at Bunnings too..
a new hybrid isn't it? very nice such giving plants...shove in and forget....I even like the leaves .Kk as usual a lesson in Botany wow
we are learning so much here in Daves Garden ....I think it is even better than doing a real course because you talk to people who have been there and done that......thanks kk you are a doll
and thanks everyone else too!:)

I dont know what I have got, the tag said flavida. If it isnt flavida than you got me beat.

Yes the world sure is a Wonderful Place .
These Wood rotting Mushrooms are the size of a Match head .

Thumbnail by ginger749

You know my railway sleepers ( been in for over a decade )are starting to "vanish" and there are no termites so i guess those little cups and or mushrooms are doing their job ...I won't ever look at the sleepers in the same way again!....thanks G :)

lol

Coffs Harbour, Australia

You are right Chrissy! I learn alot on DG too. It helps to be able to get things identified and get the information I need for my homework. I used to pore over books for hours, but now I can take a pic, post it and have a lenghty conversation with a multitude of nice people all over the world and get as much information as I want. Love it!
Sue

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Ginger & All,
First, Ginger - Now I have a serious case of Camera envy, to go along with all my other problems - LOL!

Second, Annette - "Bunnings" - all is explained - I must get down there myself soon, I need some wood stain for my ongoing renovations at work, I'll be sure to check out the plant section. Was there any other writing on the label such as a company name or similar - I'd like to see what a bit of reasearch can uncover.

I've spent my weekend adding plants to my journal - 180 succulents done, another 270 succulents to go - WHEEE! (sarcasm) Hee Hee, KK.

I found a picture of the dietes flavida and it looks just like yours ...very nice!:)
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.