Strawberries fpr Maryland Zone 7a

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I want to plant strawberries next season, but I have been overwhelmed with the number of options.

Does anyone have suggestions for types that will do well in Zone 7a?

I hope to plant more than one variety.

Thanks.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

go alpine or musk.. better flavor.. mara de bois also very very nice.. that's a 4 heirloom mix..

Baltimore, MD

The alpine or musk strawberries give you very little in the way of quantity, I don't think they are worth growing. I think Earliglow is the best junebearing variety overall for MD. Mara des bois is a very good everbearing variety (berries all summer). The June crop of Mara des Bois is big but not as tasty as Earliglow. The later MdB berries are smaller but very tasty.

Scott

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

First thing to decide is whether you want Junebearers or everbearing [day neutral] berries.

One big crop all at once, or smaller crops extended over the growing season? Do you want them for preserves, or for eating fresh?

I also think the alpine berries are overrated and prefer a standard-sized berry, not the mammoth monsters.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have thought about this, and I think I would prefer the June berries. Preserves or eating fresh, hmm. I think my wife would like to make strawberry jam. She makes jam out of everthing else, she just made yellow tomato jam.

The most important thing to me is flavor. I an trying to get away from the big flavorless berries.

Baltimore, MD

It sounds like Earliglow is your berry then. It is perfect for jam. Sparkle is another variety some people like more, but I prefer Earliglow.

Scott

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Well, like Scott said, both alpine and musk have very small berries but they have great flavors. Some people prefer bigger ones.. **shrug** I have the mara de bois for eating and the smaller ones for other stuff. If you want flavor, I'd say that's your best bet. But if you want larger berries, you can go with other varieties.. It's up to you..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.