Buzzards? Surely not!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

We pass a tree near the highway laden with these birds. They are definitely a large bird of prey. Not an eagle, nor a hawk, for I know these very well. They sit there waiting for some creature to be run over - clever devils eh! I never thought to find these birds here in the East!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

We definitely have Buzzard's in the east..
Larkie

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well Larkie thanks for clearing this up!!! I think I must have watched too many old movies.....glad they are not vultures :-)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Probably Turkey buzzards, just because they slightly in a haunted house kind of a way resemble wild turkeys, which we also have. My daughter lived in a house very near a nesting site when she was first married - they nest in colonies and there were up to a hundred of them at times. She said it was interesting, but a little odd...

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Kathleen they are a bit spooky and do have the outline of the wild turkey, sort of hunched up like that and sitting so ominously still in their 'shrouds'. It's always the same tree too. This is my first sighting and I don't particularly want to see them in my garden!! But yes, very interesting :-)

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

I've always loved turkey vultures.
The way they circle above... And all of them sitting on a tree branch or fence post with their wings out (sunning themselves). I think I read somewhere they do that to dry the "goodies" off of their feathers. Don't quote me on that though.
Just another wonder of the outdoors.
Heidi

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Louisa,
I'm with Heidi I like to see the turkey buzzards. They eat everything that gets hit on the road. I have gotten as close at 15 feet from them by drive up on them slowly.
BTW While they do look like wild turkeys I would not plan on shooting one for thanksgiving dinner. I don't think they would taste like turkey! LOL!!!!
Sari

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sari that's a good point you made about them being 'garbage collectors'!!! It's horrible to see squashed creatures everywhere on our roads so now I am warming to these birds!!

Heidi:

You are indeed correct. Turkey vultures will sit atop posts, trees, anything comfortable I suppose with their wings outstretched for the exact purpose you stated...to allow their feathers to dry after eating. :)

Gina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.