Now What ?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Cut my sunflowers heads, maybe too soon. Largest is 15 1/2".
Do I let them dry more on the heads, some of the seeds are a little sticky.

Thumbnail by rentman
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh my.. Those are huge.. Guess you grew them for the edible seeds? Can't think of another reason to grow such huge huge sunflowers.. :) Nice though.. :)

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow! I've seen big sunflowers and those are huge!
Icosden, get back over to the Daylilies where we can keep an eye on you!! LOL

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

I picked up a free pack from the the county extension office.
Moved to KY 5 months ago, just getting back into 'growing'
Check my Green House in the GH form
Had my camera set on close-UP.....and I worked 30 years as a professional photographer...what's the world coming to ?

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Have to go check that out.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Ps I could have won a ribbon at the KY State Fair had I entered them, the largest one there was 14", maybe next year.

But 'What do I do now' ? How should I dry them ? Take them off the heads and store the seeds ? Should I store the seeds in the refrig ?

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

I always left mine outside to dry, as long as it's dry and not wet and raining, Guess I do because that's the way Daddy always did his. Don't let the critters get 'em.
Man rentman!! that greenhouse setup is the greatest. Really wish I had one, now I'm jealous!
When them heads get good and dry the seed will fall out when you wiggle it around.
But you probably knew that. I'd be sure to get them to the fair next year! They're giants.
I want that greenhouse and cellar!! :~D

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Or, and I don't know why I didn't think of it but they'll know for sure over on the saving seed forum. sorry I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed! Ha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.