Lisianthes

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I finally was able to get some seeds from Lisianthes to germinate. I have 2 little peat pots of them and would like to know if I put them in something larger, now, with the peat pot, or try to separate and plant in individual pots. After all this time would sure hate to loose any.

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Pretoria, South Africa

Hi dun1kirk,

I also started some seeds a while back, and I've decided to leave them until they're bigger before I try separating them. Nine received a good deal of sun since day one, and are a whole lot shorter. Can't really say what will be the best, but I found with the big plant I bought last season that they are a whole lot stronger than what I thought at first. It overwintered perfectly (pruned it down a bit and kept it in my GH) and is producing lots of new growth.
I'll be watching the thread to see what other more experienced gardeners say..

Elsa

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

dun1kirk-those seedlings can be transplanted right now. The general rule is when you start to see the real leaves emerge, then they are ready.
They are starting to get leggy, so I would gently pull them apart and plant them in the soil right up to the first leaves and get them in some more sun to stop the stretching that they are doing.
Keep the soil on the dryer side-esp at night and you will get better roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.