Fresh Mangosteen in the U.S.?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

When I lived in Asia, I used to regularly purchase mangosteens at my fruit market. They quickly became my most favorite fruit of all time. I had read a while back that the fresh fruit are illegal in the U.S. because they may harbor pests.

According to this article, it may now be possible to introduce the fruit to the U.S. via the Carribean, and apparently there are some people already growing them in Florida. Anyone have any other news on this development? http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/dining/09mang.html?ex=1312776000&en=0d1a76f2087e406d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I see that the juice is fairly widely available in the States now, but having experiened the fresh fruit myself, I simply have no interest in the juice.

I need to find someone to ship me some yummy fresh mangosteens!!!

This message was edited Sep 4, 2007 6:47 PM

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I've seen that a DGer in Hawaii seems to grow them. I was just looking into them myself recently. Wanted to see if I could grow them here but it seems they need too much heat.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, they don't seem worth the trouble to try to grow up here in the "North," but I'd sure love it if the fresh produce would become available! I started another thread about this in the Tropical Gardening Forum since I wasn't getting much interest here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.