Central States Fall RU

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The white flower by the bird yard is a Nicotiana or Flowering tobaco(?). Yes, I hope to have all the seeds anyone could want next spring at the Spring RU or will send them to you if you can't be there.

The wagon came from something like Harbor Freight. The company comes thru various towns at least once a year, sometimes twice. Lowe's also has one very much like it. We got one for Skyler a year ago and he loves it. If I find out the name of the company I got mine from I'll post it.

I got out into the yarden this afternoon and planted the 20 new tulip bulbs I bought at PG a couple or 3 weeks ago. 4 different cultivars. Mostly totally different. It felt good to be outside working in the dirt under sunny skies. The dogs & cats were all outside most of the day. I dug Hogan's grave to be ready when the end finally comes. If the soil is frozen I have a large bale of peat moss to put over him in the hole and a 55 gal. metal barrel cut in half lengthwise. I've used them over many times to protect loved ones from being disturbed by those who would dig them up & mutilate the remains.

Must get to bed so I can get up early and head for PG tomorrow. Kyle said rain is on the way here from K.C. I guess I need to call my supervisor in the morning to see if there is anything to do if I go. Sometimes there is, sometimes not if it is raining. I need to take Amanda's chairs to her. I have my lunch packed & my clothes picked out.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Rose!! Don't encourage her! lol Thanks for the lead on the wagon, EvaMae. It is definately on my Santa List! The kids say I'm hard to buy for... so a new wagon is the perfect gift for any "child" of nature, right? I can see it now on Christmas morning all, shiny and new with a big red bow and that new tire rubber smell! I'll let them know, if it's too expensive, Santa will help them out. It WAS just a gorgeous day to work outside yesterday, course I was stuck inside all day :( I did get home before dark and made a quick loop around and see what was blooming... I have 4 brugs in bloom right now, the most EVER for me at one time.. (a couple are small flushes, but they count, too), and marigolds and impatients, and tropical hibiscus.... It rained heavy for about 45 minutes this morning.. I was glad to be inside for that..

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Bonnie & Rose, the wagons are about $30 apiece. I think the name of the company mine came from was named Cummings. They come to a town with a big semi load of items and set up in a large open building somewhere. All kinds of stuff from cheap tools to 'stuff' will be there. Lots of good buys, some not so good.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I got one of those wagons like Lowes has. I tow it around in back of a rider mower

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow! $30 is very reasonable! ($10/child- I'm worth THAT! lol) Oz! Those wagons at Lowe's are for the shoppers.... ;) Are you sure you paid for it? LOL - seriously, is it a sturdy one like Leaflady's?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

$30 is cheap for that wagon! Those tool guys are always setting up in Lebanon so I will watch for them. Thanks EvaMae!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Oz, you know you can't have those wagons from Lowes!! They belong in the store!! hehehehe

OMG Pepper!!!!! I did not know that. I was struggeling along there with some plants and the man said "here take these for your plants" Wellllll He did say take,so I been putting the things in the back of the pickup and bringing them home. I am not taking them back either cause it would require several trips to get them all back over there.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

When my son was about 7, his Dad took the kids on vacation. During the night, my son awoke and was cold... he couldn't get anyone to wake up so he went to the front desk by himself and asked for an extra blanket... The front desk clerk said "Here, you can have this one" and he brought it home unbeknownst to his Dad. When asked about it, he said "Well.... the lady said I could have it".

Aunt B---- are you saying i remind you of a 7 yr old.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

A-hem... no, I'm not, Oz. I was saying You "snagged" your wagon at Lowe's while unloading plants to your vehicle... Drew's little face when we explained they didn't mean he could actually "have" it. It's a mom moment, I guess. Here's another Drew story: When his Dad and I were still married, he was about 4 - We took the kids to St.Louis for the 4th of July... 1993-year of the flood.... We were staying at the Embassy Suites next to the river and the kids were watching the water rise up into the hotel parking lot, the windows were next to a fire alarm and we explained to him not to pull the lever, he could look out the windows all he wanted but, he was just not supposed to touch the silly lever.... Well, he and his oldest sister (she was 15) were exploring during happy hour (I was probably sloshed, you know how I like my wine ;) lol) We hear the alarm sound and they have to clear the hotel until the FD gave the word to return.... His Dad heard 2 employees talking about seeing a teenage girl and a little boy..... The next morning, Drew said he couldn't go down for the buffet breakfast.... I said "What? Why can't you go, they have French toast?" And with the bottom lip trembling and tears welling up, he said "Cause, Mommy...... people are searching for me"... guess he thought they were going to haul him off to the slammer.
Sorry, got off topic... so, how are everyone's plants from the swap doing? Mine are settling in real well after that nice rain we got yesterday and last night...

Sedalia, MO

Mine to, they are looking really good. Still laughing over all the stories.

So far so good on my plants. Spring time will tell for sure. I still don't know if I dug up any tiger liles. I keep thinking they are where I put the blanket flower. i may move it when it dries up just to make me feel better. lol

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I got a houseplant at the RU, I'm not sure, it might have been brought by Ann -Tetleytuna.... I think it was her telling me about it (you know, we're all in a "zone" when the swapping starts, lol) It is kind of like an Airplane or Spider plant only it resembles a hen and chick, slightly... I should snap a pic, I just want to know if I should put in in a bigger pot yet or leave it to grow for a while... Amanda, that's funny you're "stacking" plants now... (I'd probably want to move it, too) - They do layer spring flowering bulbs, maybe you should see what happens?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

If it is the one I brought it should be fine in that pot for a while. I think you will really enjoy it, very cool houseplant.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Ann, I AM so enjoying it, do know it's name? I just want to see more of them, thought I'd google it. It is VERY cool, I'm so happy no one saw it before me! Thanks so much! I will leave it in the pot and treat it like a spider/airplane plant.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, forgot to say, Pepper you be nice when posting those pics this weekend... nothing tooo embarassing, please. ;)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I found one on another thread that looks like it could be the same thing.
Look it up under these in plantfiles.
Basket Plant
Callisia fragrans

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Good morning, all. It is a bit nippy right now, but the weather man says it will be near 80 today so all the cats and dogs will be outside for the day. I'll be at the cafe' all day too as they need extra help today. Their church is having a fish fry tomorrow & all of them are busy, busy, busy getting ready for that. I will be putting in at least a 10 if not 12 hour day after a 10 hour day yesterday. Then tomorrow is my church's meeting which is suppose to last until 8 at night. I think on Monday I will attempt to crash for the day.

Nothing much else going on.

Bonnie, the story about your children and the fire alarm is priceless. I remember the floods of '93. They nearly ruined the river bottom land near Booneville. The floods in '97 finished them off for good. Nothing but waste land now where there use to be fabulous farm land. I lost a LOT of plants to those 2 years. Lost a lot more to the drought years that followed and last winter's cold and the last freeze in the spring.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Is the plant that Ann brought to the Round-up and escheveria?

Just nosey me that didn't get to come to the Round-up and am still VERY jealous chiming in..

Kathyjo

(Cathy), MO

Kathy, do like me and go to the spring one! I didn't get to go to this one either.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hello. Busy day. Kathyjo and cat, yes, do make the spring one... it's a lot of fun. And now I can picture everyone, I can see EvaMae having her very much deserved day of rest and relaxation on Monday! In the plant files the plant I got from Ann looks like the second pic in the plant files under "basket plant" -Callisia Fragans - I hope I can bring some babies to the spring round up... but maybe I should look at escheveria.... .

(Cathy), MO

I'm planning on it. Already thinking of what I can have starts of to bring with me!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

oh yes, plan to make the Spring one..

Leaflady was the first Dave's Gardener I ever met in real life!

(Cathy), MO

You have me beat! I've never met anyone! Still relatively new though. I've only been on here 3 months.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

It's fun to put faces to names!

it's alot of fun!! Some people look nothing like you expect and others look exactly like you expect.

where are you all intending on having the spring one??????

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Lake of the Ozarks?

(Cathy), MO

Are they usually at someones house?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

When in the spring is the RU, after things have popped up so we can take starts? Our MG group has a plant sale in the spring and it is almost too early for starts to get started before we sell them. I like to know they are going to live before we sell them to someone. Gosh, I haven't even got stuff in for the winter and I am talking about the spring! I don't even have everything planted! My DH explained the garden room wasn't big enough for my entire garden to overwinter in...LOL, wait until he walks in and sees the kid swimming pool with the tropical water lilies in it! Biggest problem we still don't have the inside ceiling or walls in so that means we have to work in there and around everything!
Joyce

The spring RU will probably be held at EvaMae's again though my grandma has offered us the use of her place. We live about 30 miles east of KC. She lives a few min from me. It is up to you guys where we have it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I am home and very frazzled & tired. I found out that the meeting at my church was mostly going to be about how we can serve the community and hopefully grow our congregation. We are less than 50 people at the most I think. So I left as soon as morning services were thru, filled the fuel tank on the van and headed for my cafe' famiy's church to help with the fish fry. As I was leaving I told my pastor that I was on my way to serve outside the four walls of my own church. I think if I do anymore serving I won't have the time or energy to even get to my own church and it's four walls! Attendance at the fish fry was way down this year. About 1/2 of last years crowd. But we had the Chief's game in K.C. for competition. K.C. is about 2 1/2 hours west of the church and anyone going has to take heavy traffic near the stadium, parking, getting into the stadium, finding seats, etc. to add to the travel time.

I hope I can stay home tomorrow and maybe even Tuesday. I could sure use some rest time. Holly said the weather report calls for temps to really drop this next week. I need to get my Elephant Ears and a couple other nonhardy bulbs dug tomorrow.

I was thinking in the area of something like Columbia,maybe a park are something. The more central you get the better it would seem to be to me.

(Cathy), MO

Are the roundups just for MO, or for other states around us too?

Other states as well. Anyone really.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oz, the problem with parks is making and paying for reservations, distant and sometimes poor bathroom facilities, someone must bring a grill whereas we had a stove at my house, open pavilions in case of rain like we had at this one, lots of noises from other people and events in the park, etc. We did the very first one in Columbia. I think it was rather costly. Sedalia doesn't take reservations before May so someone has to go to the shelter early and stay until others start to arrive. I'll check and see when they stop taking reservations in the fall. We were crowded here for sure because of the rain, but we would have been soaked to the skin if we had been at a park in a shelter. Since we set the dates way in advance we never know what the weather will be like or what else will be going on in any given park. Just some of the reasons for choosing my place this last time. Sedalia is about as central in MO as we can get. Columbia would be a really long drive for Bonnie, Anna, Rose and her DH, Dave & Elle, etc. So far we haven't had anyone from the St. Louis area show interest in coming so Ann & her DH are the farthest east attendees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.