Central States Fall RU

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok everyone, the time is here!!! We are having a Round-up or a get-together at EvaMae's house on October 13th this year. It will be lots of fun with some great food and company!!

This will be a potluck so bring food and lawn chairs too in case we all want to sit. My lawn chair will be my truck. :~p

If anyone wants to bring plants to trade please bring them and we will give them new homes. We also usually swap gifts if anyone is interested. I have forgotten what we call it now. lol.

The time will be sometime in the morning and will run til we all leave. EvaMae can chime in here with that. Those of you who need directions to her house just d-mail me or her and we will get them out to you. It is not hard to find and I will try to have a sign at the end of her road and driveway to help you all out.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope lots of you will show up!!! Please post on here if you plan on showing up so we all have a good idea of how much food to bring. I will start a thread for food too if needed.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've got it marked on my calendar. I hope by then, all my plants are tucked in for their winter nap, so I will have stuff to share. AND if I don't get my fall perennials planted, might bring some of those along too. I'll ponder on some food items. Chicken Spagetti? Lasagna? And maybe I'll make my mom's recipe for her 10LB chocolate cake w/homemade fudge frosting........it will be so much fun to meet everyone in person! Very nice of you EvaMae to accommodate us all for a Fall time "hoe-down". (pun intended ;) Thanks for your effort too Amanda! -Bonnie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm taking the day off work so we can go on as long as we wish. Bonnie, a 10# chocolate cake? Is it really that large or is that just a name for it? Because maybe eating a piece will make you gain 10#! LOL. Nearly anything in the food line will be ok. I'll likely do salads, etc. to help keep it healthy and simple for me. I will work the night before until after 9.

I'm really looking forward to this. I hope to meet Rusty, AuntB, and several other new people as well as a old friends.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It's just made from scratch, and it's not a real light and fluffy cake... and you could gain some lbs, if you ate too much of it! You probably shouldn't worry about any food, you're offering up your private property for us! And if you're working late the night before... EvaMae, there will be enough of us to bring the food. Don't you think, Pepper? I need to get back out on our main forum and see what everyone is up to, I'm getting busy at work, so I'll check in, later. :)

EvaMae, don't worry about food. We will have that covered. I don't know what I will bring yet. I'm thinking brownies but I will just bring in what is needed if we fall short on some things.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have one of my decorated birthday day cakes and 1/2 gal. ice cream in the freezer that I will be donating to the RU meal. I'm going to contact a fellow DG who lives near me to see if she will keep it all in her freezer so I can't go on another carb binge and get into them.

Hey, where is everyone???????

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, RU sounds like fun. What is not fun is going out and bring the elephant ears closer to the house because of the weather.

I will be there and looking forward to it.

How do you know what to bring, just something?

Later,
Joyce

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone! I am hoping to join all of you for this get together! I will watch the postings and let you all know definitely when we return from vacation later this month.

This sounds like fun,

Rose

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I couldn't find this roundup on the Roundup Forum. Are you guys just getting together for fun, or is this open to DG members? I didn't find any other info....

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

McGlory, the RU forum is for subscribers only and we want anyone who is on DG to be invited. This forum is open to both members and subscribers so we usually post in on here. I'll go over there and post a notice to come to this forum for information about it. Thanks for mentioning that to us.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks, leaflady, I will look over there in a little bit. I go to the RU in IA for the last two years, met Rusty there. Am bummed that I can't go to the Southern MN RU this weekend, and then I saw this thread!

I don't hang out much on this forum, because it began to seem like a little too far south for me, but I know there are good folks here!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

We would just be thrilled if you can make it, McGlory! I've never been to a RU- missed in the Spring because of too many celebrations, planning and going. I'm glad to see Joyce is coming and Rose will try to make it. I'm bringing food, plants and a gardening gift or 2, pretty much, if I'd like it for my yarden, others will too. I guess I'll know exactly what I'm bringing, when I'm in the car driving to Sedalia. For sure bringing along my DD, she likes my plants and pretty blooms, but doesn't like to get her fingers dirty, but she is younger than me........ maybe I'll bring her gloves and she can weed some for Eva Mae!

I will try to remember to get cuttings going of some plants I have this weekend. Otherwise I will get a few things at the plant sale at the end of the month. We have a great selection this time and I am drooling just thinking about it. lol.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

There is a garden center auction coming up at the end of the month. I will see what "accidentally falls into the truck" ........... :^)

Oooh, i like the sound of that!! I have been forbidden to buy stuff....again. I haven't listened before and don't intend to now. LOL

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

O. K. I think I've got myself organized enuf so I can definitely come! I will bring food of course, guess we'll discuss that later on and also some seeds and plants. Not sure what as I'm new at this but have some 4 o'clocks and 3 different poppy seeds so far. I also like to paint so will bring something painted for a "prize"(garden related). I am getting excited to meet all of you!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, That's great Rose. I'm anxious, as well. I'll go through my seeds, I know they need to be reorganized.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

For the swap I'll have hollyhock seeds for sure. LOL. The plants are weeds here now. I have mostly shades of pink tho some pale yellow and white and an occasional red do show up. I will look and see what else I can dig up to swap. Maybe some peonies that I have extra of.

I'm glad to hear so many newcomers will be trying to be there. I do wish more of the really local(Sedalia & Marshall)DGers would participate. There are 5 or 6 in each town or surrounding areas last I knew. And only one from Sedalia paticipates. Another one use to but hasn't for a couple years.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello, I know it has been a long time since I have visited, but after reading this thread, I feel more at 'home' than I have in a long time.

The past couple of years have been tough, but this summer I went through a bit of a 'meltdown' when I lost my sister.

I have marked this on my calendar and I sure hope that I can come. I would love to be able to spend the day with friends.

Blessings to all, Starr

Starr!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back!!!!! You have been missed big time and I hope you can make it to the RU.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Nice to "meet" you Starr. So sorry to hear of your loss and troubles. I hope DG will provide comfort to you. I'm Bonnie, and it will be nice to meet you in person at the RU (my first!). Welcome back to the neighborhood! Here's a hug -(Starr)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It's great to hear from you,Starr. We have missed you. I pray you can come to the RU this time. I hope your daughter and her family come with you again.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I will bring food, cuttings, plants, and anything gardening that I think a gardener would enjoy. I have so enjoyed DG and it has been nice to chat with you all and I am so looking forward to it.

Joyce

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, Goody Joyce! I'm glad you're coming...Rose, still need some tropical hib cuttings?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think it is time to start swap/give away/door prize & food threads. That is where you will post what you are bringing or hope to bring in each catagory. If you have requests for particular plants, seeds, etc. please feel free to post that request. Often someone will have just what you want. It will also help prevent a very unbalanced menu.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank You EvaMae... :)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

We will be leaving Friday morning for vacation. I don't know if I will have access to a computer so I will get back to you all when we return the end of this month. I hope this is ok. Aunt B...yes I would love some tropical hibiscus!! Can't have too many of those. Do they have to be wintered inside? I plan on putting lots of my container plants in the basement this winter.

I am very excited to meet all of you,

Rose

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

You have a great time, Rose. Yes, they have to be protected, they don't like it much below 50, and cannot freeze. Once established, that's were mine spend winter. Most make it, some don't... got it on my list. Enjoy your holiday!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Wishing I could be there, but won't be able to make it this time.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry to hear you won't be here, KathyJo & DH. I'm really working hard when I am home and able to get the yarden and house into presentable condition. With all the rain in June, not feeling well most of July and breaking my arm in August things got rather run down and gone to the weeds this summer. Thank GOD Holly keeps the yarden mowed for me. The spider webs have multiplied so rapidly the past few weeks! It is hard to keep ahead of them on the front porch and breezeway. I don't want to kill off all the spiders but don't like running into webs at night when I go out to shut up the birds, turn off hoses, etc.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I had an idea for a fun activity for the fall round up. We could have a pumpkin carving/decorating contest with everyone voting on the winnner and that winner receiving a pumpkin themed gift basket. Things like a pumpkin scented candle, some small fall decorations, or other items would be very inexpensive and it would be great to see what everyone would come up with. What do you all think?

LOL. I think it will be fun! It will help me limber up my fingers for the following week. I will be carving them all day before Spooktacular.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sounds like fun. I don't celebrate that day but we can do fun stuff with pumpkins. And when finished we can each have a pumpkin to cook. How practical can that be. Pigout all day, then go home and cook something pumpkin. LOL

Be ready to dig any plants of mine that you want. I'll have tansy, a couple clumps of unknown daylilies, a clump of peonies, a few nice thorny blackberries that are delicious & large, some fushia colored spiderwort and some blue ones, seeds from several plants including hollyhocks(already in a pint jar) and some hollyhock plants, mimosa sprouts, and others I can't think of right now.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know if I can come or not but could you dmail directions just in case. My boss has a horse show the next weekend but so far can't talk him into leaving that weekend. His son is home though so maybe he will be busy with that. Hope I get the opportunity to 'meet' some of you.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dylan, I hope you will get to come to the RU. I'm demailing you the directions.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Me, too!

Me 3!! lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

If you are coming to the RU & haven't dmailed me for directions be sure you do that. I won't get home from work until after 9 Friday night so answers to dmails from Friday will be late getting to you. I'll turn the computer on & login to DG Sat. morning and pray I don't get disconnected.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Well if nothing goes wrong we will see ya'll Saturday haven"t said any thing wasn't sure if DW was going to be able to come as she just had her vacation and didn't know if they would mess up her weekend off Does anyone want any purple passion, wandering Jew , or pink confetti Elle has all three potted up she would be glad to bring and I have some old fashion Iris they are purple light lavender and a purple with yellow centers extending on to the beards but I don't know which ones are which
let us know if anyone would like any of the above items Dave 719

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.