Envelopes for Tiny Fly-Away Seeds

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I like the make-them-yourself, printable Dave's Envelope patterns, but am worried about small seeds falling out corners.

1) I'd like opinions about envelopes/containers for Seed Saving for tiny seeds -- clingy/static problems & too small to pickup w/ fingertips (mountain bluets(Houstonia)

2) ((edited))((Glassine Envelopes. http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-11834
Any comments pro/con/alternatives is welcome.))
Thanks for better source, cat64129 (see her post below)
http://www.mysticstampcatalog.com/2007/ select "Go to Page" 128
I also got a D-Mail with a neat idea from Germinater:
"Try using freezer paper. Fold it "wax" side to "wax" side and pass an iron around the edges. Put a templet inside to give you the birth size that you want. I say "wax" because it is usually polyeythelene now. The iron melts the poly and seals things up real nice."
Thanks for all the great feedback, MaryS

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 8:32 PM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Mary,

I'm not very versed on the new postal rates, but isn't a flat-rate box pretty big?....or do they make them in different sizes? When I bought some plant markers in a flat-rate box it held something like 300 markers and the shipping was maybe $7 (I'm not exactly sure...told you I wasn't too versed, LOL). I would be interested in getting a couple hundred of these envelopes, but the shipping cost would be a factor.

La

La,
I haven't used them in a couple of years. Most post offices only stock a couple of sizes. You can order the boxes from USPS site. They have several sizes. They used to only ship you a full case - wouldn't mix sizes--looks like from what I saw on website that it is still that way. Whatever we didn't use we dropped off to one of the local post offices. Most of them were really happy for the extra's. They told us that they could not order all sizes. They used to even have special eBay ones (don't see them now). It seems like (the flat fee) for one of the small boxes used to be $3.80 (I don't know weight limit on that one). It's all changed - I copied most of the sizes available (see below) - don't see eBay boxes now.
Also, when you want to ship, if you arrange for special pickup (I think my husband did this through the website) your postal carrier gets credit for it.
http://www.usps.com/ click on "schedule a pickup" Ask your carrier if they still get some kind of extra $$ for pickups arranged on-line.
11" X 8.5" X 5.5" Priority Mail Box Flat Rate Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8" Priority Mail Box Flat Rate Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
"7-9/16" x "5-7/16" x "1-3/8" Electronic Media Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
"8.625" x "5.375" x "1.625" Priority Mail Small Video Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
9.25" x 6.25" x 2" Priority Mail Large Video Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
7.5 X 5.125 X 14.375 Priority Mail Shoe Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
12" x 12" x 8" Priority Mail Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
7" x 7" x 6" Priority Mail Box (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
6"x38" Priority/Express Mail Tube (triangular) (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
6"x25" Priority/Express Mail Tube (triangular) (No Charge for Box = Free Box)
Great for Christmas/Gift boxes -- if mailing priority, why buy box at post office, if you can get one for free!
MaryS

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 8:29 PM

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Could you please help me. I'd like to know where I can find Dave's print your own envelopes for seed collecting and trading. I've had so much yard work that I really haven't explored the site too much. Thanks in advance Gramma Mittsy

mittsy:
Basic DG seed packets:
http://davesgarden.com/files/daves_garden/seed_packet.gif
Lots more from talented and generous DGer's:
http://davesgarden.com/files/daves_garden/
Make sure you have your printer set to appropriate orientation (landscape/portrait) -- probably do a print preview first.
I think most (if not all) of these are in a standard GIF/JPG image formats. You can use Microsoft Paint or other image editing software to open/print these. I use PaintShopPro but that is only because I own and like it -- you can use whatever you want. They may not print correctly directly from within your browser (I don't know which one you're using). You can look in Computer Talk or other forum for threads w/ questions/answers related to printing these.
MaryS

This message was edited Sep 2, 2007 1:43 PM

Mary, Thank you so much! What a wonderful resource.
Mittsy

(Cathy), MO

I just ordered some glassine envelopes at a reasonable cost & didn't have to order huge quantities. Check out the following

http://www.mysticstampcatalog.com/2007/lg_display.cfm?page_number=128

www.mysticstamps.com

You get 100 envelopes in your choice of 5 sizes for between $2.75 & $6.25 ea. I ordered 4 different sizes and shipping was only $2.75.

Raeford, NC

The post office will send you boxes for free. just go their site USPS.com You can also get the boxes at the post office in about 3 differet sizes and the price is 7.00. I send my son pkgs to Afghanistan and that is all it is.They have 2 that look like mag size and 2 sq ones.

Deanna:
Sorry -- did you mean that the total cost, including postage was $7.00? or that the box+ postage was $7.00? Sometime when I have a day I'm not working I'll check to see what the weight limits/postal fees are for the two Flat-Rate priority mail boxes.

Sorry for the confusion. I will edit my previous post to reflect that the boxes I listed ARE FREE. As I mentioned before, the post offices around here don't have a good selection of the FREE BOXES. It is nice that they have boxes available for purchase, for those moments when time is worth more than the extra money spent, but that is rare for me now. Several of the (small town) branch post offices are usually out of the "free boxes" and didn't know about the additional sizes available -- only had ones for sale -- I hate driving all the way into town.

Thanks for the info, Deanna. Hope your son is well -- and enjoying the goodies you send.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 8:48 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I pick up the tiny zip lock (2x4?) at our Office depot - they also have the paper ones. I believe both were in quantities of 100...this way I avoid having to pay S & H.

Raeford, NC

The boxes are free. I think it is the priority boxes.But my mother and I was talking yesterday and she said it was now 9.00. But you can order the supplies online free and they will send them free, including labels if you want.But the weight does not matter.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Picked up a flat rate box yesterday & they said it would be $8.95. It's 11"x8.5"x5.5" . I think the other one was like a shirt box size.

I ordered the free boxes, labels and tyvek priority envelopes from the post office. Even the shipping is free. They arrive flat and you assemble them yourself. Easy to store until needed. It's nice to have a sturdy box on hand when doing plant trades. The triangular box is great for tall plants.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

I picked up a priority "tube" box the other day to ship some cuttings of Weigela. It is designed for blueprints. I put half of the cuttings in from one end & half from the other with stems overlapping. I think I sent over 2 doz for $4something. I thought that was pretty good. And the recipient said they traveled great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.