Like a morning glory, but what is it? (white, long lasting)

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Hi - I am brand new to this forum and have a question. I fell in love with MG's this year - have several patches of Grandpa Ott's throughout the yard and was for searching something new. In the park across the street - they have something similar to morning glories growing up the tiger lilies. Maybe 2+ inches across, sturdier than MG's (stay fresh for a couple of days if it's cool), no scent and the leaves are shaped like a thick V. Any ideas? I love these - have been haunting the park and waiting for seed pods to harvest before they tear them down and throw them away but, they don't seem to create pods (but this might be too early).

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Do a search for 'Ipomoea panduranta' (I think that's how it's spelled) or 'wild sweet potato'. It's a near-relative of the common morning glory, Ipomoea tricolor/Ipomoea purpurea, but it sounds like what you're describing.

Pretty close - but these don't have a reddish center - they're pure white...part of what makes them so interesting. I do need to get a digital camera for a picture of these.

now I'm definitely laughing. Apparently the flower that I have been admiring is the dreaded bindweed.

http://www.arapcsuext.org/agri/fbindwd.htm

Too funny - just read the other posts about this "horrible" weed and how to get rid of it, and out of curiousity went and looked and there it was.

I'm almost exclusively a container gardener - and I actually found a few seed pods yesterday. I think i'm going to try growing it for a year...have lovely mini-trellises that I can stick in a couple of large containers and enjoy them for what they are and avoid starting another plague. >;-)

This site has already been helpful in several ways.

Cheers!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL I have it in my garden too. She almost took over the side of my deck. My hot pink crepe myrtle looks kinda funny with these white flowers up on top! I ended up with them from digging up some wild orange daylilies, propably the same wones that your vines are planted by.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.