If we were doing 'black', my new Black Magic EE

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Can't resist, must show my EE I got from Lowe's clearance. $4.50 for this Black Magic. The more I look at it , and read about it, the more I am in love. Just so cool and different for me. AND, see all the side shoots? Pups? They have bumps on them where they look like they're just dying to root. I repotted to give them room to touch the soil but two broke off anyway, so they're in a small pot.
(lax stick and dirty unstained deck left in for scale LOL)

Thumbnail by sallyg
Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks like you got yourself a really good deal. Those EE are just such cool plants. Haven't tried them yet myself but I had a good year with cannas and a banana plant so maybe next year I'll give EE a try. Let us know how it does for you.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wowza, Sally! That sure is pretty.

two babies in soil and one in water. Will update. I swear the water one has grown roots already--.3- days.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

WHICH LOWE'S???? I REALLY WANTED A BLACK EE THIS YEAR, but 2007 turned out to be a non-starter for me thanks to all of the crises that popped up.

Awww, if there had been anymore I would have specified right off. This was the only one, and one other EE not very special looking so I passed on it. Little variegationa and no side shoots. I have been to the Lowes in Glen Burnie, near the beltway(Balt) the past three weeks. Clearance stuff changes quickly. Some lady had just beat me to some pretty good looking $5 rhododendrons. At $5 I didn't care what variety.

Its the side shoots on this, hence multiplication possibility, that has me really hyped. Potentially six babies to give someone special~~~

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL -- oh not to worry, I thought that I would at least check though. It's very pretty - you did well!

Tomorrow I go to a local nursery and get a big purple ninebark for half off, so $11 I think. Richardson's on Elvaton road. Don't nobody go buy those last four before me, now.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good find! I "scored" a couple of $10 Weigela bushes -- big ones -- at WalMart a couple weeks ago ('Bristol Ruby' and 'Minuet'). This is a good time of year for poking around nurseries! :-)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Excellent find... especially for the price you paid. It is actually 'Black Runner' though... hence the side shoots. Many EEs sold as 'Black Magic' are actually 'Black Runner'. Most beautiful just the same...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amazing to find a Black Runner at a big box store. Took me months to find someone to do a trade with on DG to get one. I'll have to put it side by side with my Black Magic and Black Taro to see how they differ leaf-wise.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

SHOW OFF!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Me? I know you're not talkin' to me!!! *tongue sticking out*

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I honestly don't think most people know they are getting 'Black Runner'... but 'Black Magic' does not run that way, and that's the give-away, after the fact.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yep, you, Willis. You and all your taros nigra. Which reminds me ... taro is delicious. I love it fried, and the Taiwanese make the most delicious taro ice cream. Crazy Delicious. I've never had poi, but am curious.

Speaking of black, does anyone here have a 'Black Lace' Elderberry? I'm chomping at the bit to get one or two of these babies. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56964/ Elderberry wine, Elderberry pie, yum ...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm all about trading...Wrightie - DGer: wanab has listed seeds available for trade - see: http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/search.php?search_text=PFPID:56964 See if he/she wants something you have available. All my EE's except one were rec'd thru trades or for postage.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, what a good idea. How long does it take plants to get going from seed. Guess I hadn't even considered starting EEs from seed. SmartyPantz. I'll go check it out.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Smarty? No! Cheapo? Yes!!! Those are seeds for the 'Black Lace' Elderberry you mentioned...not the EE's. Heck...I can get you EE's by next springs swap...might even be able to check some of them now.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Praise Be! I sent her a D-Mail. I've done a few seed swaps here, but I guess that I need to learn how to use the Trading Tools. Those searches are handy!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Pull up plant you want in the plantfiles - click on "X" members have or want this plant for trade. Go down list - find one that has it available (I look for the most recent ones or DGers I've traded with previously - also see who has what i.e. seeds/plants etc. - depending on what you're looking for) - click on their name - check their want list - then send them a dmail. Whaaa Laaa!! If no one has any avail - go back to the plantfile page for the plant - scroll down below the zip code report and click on - Click here to add this plant to your want-list. The same way you added plants previously to your "have" list for trading.

quoted- honestly don't think most people know they are getting 'Black Runner'... but 'Black Magic' does not run that way, and that's the give-away, after the fact.

Especially when it comes with a fancy tag saying Black Magic !!! On purpose or an accident???

My wild elderberry grew pretty fast- I think four years from first noticing it, figuring out what it was, to a few berry clusters this year. Well, maybe I'm sugar coating it a little, maybe six. But- no special care, shade and maple root competition, and now has two stems about six feet and another shorter.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - my exp. has been that Black Runner is more difficult to get then Black Magic...makes you wonder how much more they'd charge if they knew what they were selling.

I think us knowledgeable gardeners would pay More for the Runner in anticipation of the multiplication. So I think they are catering to the uneducated and using the name recognition. Still, a commercially produced plant labeled wrong???? It gripes me a little.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

It happens with the cacti all the time...an ongoing gripe over on the C & S forum...sad, but true.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.