How to cope with stricter water restrictions?

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Starting Sunday Sept. 1, my county (Whitfield) is implementing 1 day a week watering (down from 3 days a week).

I feel very lucky to have had 3 days a wk. to water up until now and I'm hoping some of you who have already been hit with the tighter schedules will have some tips on how to help my potted plants. (I think I can manage ok with the in-ground stuff.)

I've got a lot of shade that I could move my pots into but is that ok for a full sun plant or would it be better to leave it in full sun and mound mulch around it?

I could dig holes and put some of my small pots in the ground to cut down on evaporation but that won't be practical for all.

What have ya'll been doing for your hanging baskets and potted plants?

TIA,
Sherry

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

use mulch and water crystals....
i collect rainwater....if it rains...
use bathtub water on plants

as for full sun plants to shade...i think it is depending on the plant
i have geraniums that i have had to move to the shade cause
the sun is cooking them....or i give them a couple hours of sun

good luck...:)

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

Bump. Hoping for a few more suggestions for my potted plants.

I thought my inground plants and shrubs would be ok with once a week since the temps are out of the triple digits. But I've been hauling bathwater, dishwater and a/c condensation water all day to the wilted ones. I doubt that I'm going to be able to keep up.

About the water crystals - I've used them when potting but how do you use them on already potted plants?

Sherry

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i have dug out as much soil as i can without disturbing the roots of the plants and filled it back in with soil/crystal mix

another thing that i have heard tried is using large containers like milk jugs or 2 litter bottles......fill with water and punch a small size whole in it.....the small hole slowly drips water in the plant soil (imerse the liter bottle into the soil so that the water will drip below)

what are you having the most trouble with? (besides everything)...

Dalton, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm having the most trouble with my hydrangeas and, oddly enough a prague viburnum. Admittedly, the hydrangeas could use some more mulch and I'm going to get some tomorrow.

I think I may not have been watering deeply enough in my areas that get some shade - thinking that the soil wouldn't get as dry - but boy, it is bone dry and cracking.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i am not familiar with hydrangeas that well....i would say mulch...and think about the 2 liter idea too....just partially submerge the full bottle of water in the soil close to the roots and it will slowly drip into the soil...

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Although I am not a local girl so I don't really know what or when my county (Dekalb) says one can water. I came from Holland a year ago and totally renovated my frontyard (approx 3000 sq.ft). I took all the ivey and weeds out as well as 13 pine trees! The top section has now been scaped and I put in lots and lots of newborn or small plants. Some one was telling me about soaker hoses and I liked the idea. They're not too expensive, about $9 -$12 for 50ft. I made them zig-zag thru my plants and dug them in the ground. Since it's a slight slope the plants that need water most are on bottom or where water flows down most. Fine pine bark on top. The hoses are connected to an automated system called Melnor and watering time set for 0700 (am) and for 7 minutes only! The valve is barely open. The plants look marvelous, incredibly happy haven't lost one plant due to drought. Furthermore we discovered NO change in our waterbill. I have seen county people driving by houses to check on water usage etc. I got no problem what so ever. I feel that the plants get stronger also because the roots are forced to go down to get the water but maybe that's a lot of baloney (??)
Maybe I've been lucky I don't know but I'm sure happy with it. Good luck and Happy Gardening. Here's a few photo's of the change.
Coby

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And here's one of the yard few weeks ago. Don't have a recent one because our digit. camera broke. But the plants are MUCH bigger and full of blooms now, basically right now one can hardly see the mulch in most places. You have to trust me on this.
Is this just "beginners luck" ? If so, than I feel very lucky. Obviously coming from Holland I know nothing of drought!

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

looks great!!!!; i too have in ground watering in some of my plants...it seems to take less and do more to my plants....; ie i have the same plants planted in 2 beds...one with soakers and one without......the one without is me watering it from the top....the plants in the soaker bed does so much better

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I wish I could show you how it is today. It's amazing, most of these plants went in end of May and the majority of them have a circumf. of at least 2ft! I realise it's easier to put soaker hoses in when your landscape is undone but water wise AND plant wise they do a lot more than sprinkler systems which usually means watering the street!
Have fun gardening, it's beautiful here in Atlanta just around 22C° (± 67F°). Gotta get busy.
Have a good weekend.
Coby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.