Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! You have until September 11th to upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Georgia Gardening: How to cope with stricter water restrictions?, 1 by TulipLady

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TulipLady

In reply to: How to cope with stricter water restrictions?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to cope with stricter water restrictions?
TulipLady wrote:
Although I am not a local girl so I don't really know what or when my county (Dekalb) says one can water. I came from Holland a year ago and totally renovated my frontyard (approx 3000 sq.ft). I took all the ivey and weeds out as well as 13 pine trees! The top section has now been scaped and I put in lots and lots of newborn or small plants. Some one was telling me about soaker hoses and I liked the idea. They're not too expensive, about $9 -$12 for 50ft. I made them zig-zag thru my plants and dug them in the ground. Since it's a slight slope the plants that need water most are on bottom or where water flows down most. Fine pine bark on top. The hoses are connected to an automated system called Melnor and watering time set for 0700 (am) and for 7 minutes only! The valve is barely open. The plants look marvelous, incredibly happy haven't lost one plant due to drought. Furthermore we discovered NO change in our waterbill. I have seen county people driving by houses to check on water usage etc. I got no problem what so ever. I feel that the plants get stronger also because the roots are forced to go down to get the water but maybe that's a lot of baloney (??)
Maybe I've been lucky I don't know but I'm sure happy with it. Good luck and Happy Gardening. Here's a few photo's of the change.
Coby