Ever dug up a mahonia?( oregon grape holly)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm considering moving one. I think I can handle the size of it if the roots sytem isn't too massive. Is it shallow or deep, fibrous, what?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sally, there are some people in the tree forum who really know their stuff. I'll bet one of them could tell you about the roots. I think the main thing is whether it has a deep taproot. If it does, most of those trees or shrubs are difficult to move because they won't live if you sever the taproot.

well, I did put the question there a few days ago........no reply yet.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Shoot.

Okay, here's what I found:

Q: From Sheila:- I wish to move a Mahonia Charity and cannot decide on the best time to do this. When I would normally think of moving a bush or tree (late autumn/winter) it is starting to come into bud and blossom. Help please!

A: I move shrubs any old time of year as it is not always convenient to do so when gardening books tell us the time is right... Sometimes a shrub or tree needs to be moved even if it`s chances of survival are not good. I have only ever lost one shrub and it was really far too big to move. The size will be your main consideration with the Mahonia. If it is not too big to move, follow the procedures below and it will be fine:-

Choose a cool, damp spell for the move (not difficult with our weather!)

Water it thoroughly the night before moving. I suggest leaving the hosepipe on for a few hours to soak the roots and surrounding soil.

Prepare the new hole, making sure it is a little bigger than you need and mixing in some fresh compost with the exisiting earth.

Dig around the Mahonia taking care not to break any roots off and disturbing the soil round the roots as little as possible. Move it into it`s new position. Backfill and support with a stake if required.

Water, water and more water until the plant continues to make new growth..

You could also prune the bush if it is fairly big and this will cause it less stress.

http://www.laterlife.com/laterlife-garden-queries-3.htm

Aww, thank you You took pity and searched for me!! (While I was in first -day-iof school-tension-meltdown-recovery mode, ten-yr old style)
The one thing I almost never do , which this mentions and I read once on tree/shrub forum too, is to get it well watered before digging. Like you wouldn't go for a hike in the desert already dehydrated.
I think in fall I will move this. Its getting sort of buried under a dogwood, and a young oak is near it too, and the mahonia is the only one of the three that I have a chance of moving.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sally, I also took pity on you :) Looked for some information last night but didn't find anything specifically relating to Mahonia. Wasn't sure which type of Mahonia you have? Hart's reference gives some good info, the only other thing I'd add is if you're going to wait awhile to move it, root prune it now. I'm getting ready to do the same thing with a Juniper I want to move this fall. Normally, you'd root prune a year before you move the shrub, however since you're going to be moving it this fall, better now than never! All you have to do is dig into the soil, preferably with something like a trenching spade or drain spade (narrower than regular shovel). You need to dig a pretty wide circumference all around the Mahonia, cuts the roots so it forms a root ball for when you actually dig it up - less transplant shock this way because the roots have already been pruned. Here's a link which probably explains the process better than I can! LOL http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/g/RootPruning.htm

Debbie

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally: 15 years ago I moved a mahonia of my mom's from her house to mine, without incident. It is still alive, so I guess it made it. I didn't do anything special and don't recall any of the particulars. But we had so much to do at the time of the move that I'm sure we wouldn't have moved it if its roots had been too challenging.

Thanks Debbie and Devin~~
Root pruning is a great suggestion! I have heard of it before. I might get a feel for how the roots will be by root pruning now, and probably wouldn't get to move it for couple months anyway. Now to go shopfor shoulder length gauntlets to deal with those leaves!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL sally, they are prickly beasts aren't they? Good luck!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrap the shrub in an old blanket or a tarp and you won't need shoulder length gloves. LOL It will help protect the branches too. Just tie it at the bottom.

Excellent advice as usual!! Hadn't thought of that! they are practically cactus like.
I also have a devil's walking stick tree. Aralia spinosa. Hope to heck I never want to move that!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

If you don't have an old blanket or a spare tarp, Tractor Supply has 6x8 tarps for $2.50. They're pretty thin but if the shrub is small enough you can double it over. I think an old blanket is better for real prickly plants, though. More between you and the prickles.

Thanks- This job will take some prep.
The more I think, I am tempted to cut it almost all the way back and see if it resprouts. I looked today and it's going to be a bear.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.