New to Australia

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am a newbie here in AU and I have a question about what type of potting soil to buy. I bought the Cactus and Succulent soil for my cactus and succulents. But I need to know what brand you all recommend for potting houseplants or plants that go into containers. Over in the states we had some well known brands that were better than others. But I do not know anything about the brands here in AU and was wondering if you could recommend some to me. Thanks so much.

Jesse

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Jesse
Don't go for the el-cheapo ones! Searles is a good one (my favourite) but your local garden centre or produce shop will usually stock a good brand, and they have an Australian standards symbol on them which means they must be good! One with added water holding chrystals and slow release fertiliser is always a good start.
Good luck
Sue

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Yep, go with a premium potting mix. It's one of those times where it really does matter. You can tell the different "grades" by looking for the Australian Standard "ticks". If they are red, they are premium. If they are black, they are standard. It's just a quick reference but, as weedwoman said, ask the people at your local garden shop. Dynamic Lifter and Osmocote I believe have premium potting mixes too. I think Yates has just come out with a whole range of new "professional" potting mixes. I looked at a bag the other day and wasn't very clear on what justified the extra $5 per bag!! Good luck! k

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have tried a lot and the best one I have tried is Searles.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Go the Searles!!! We should get royalties eh annette?

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Yes we should get royalties, there seed raising mix is magic:)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Propagation mix and cacti and succulent mix is good too. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jesse!!! When did you move?!!!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi all,

We moved to our new house about a week or so ago. I am still trying to get used to the Aussie way of life. We have a huge brick patio on the front of our house. It is so big and I want to fill it up with plants but I have no idea what to plant in containers. Any ideas are welcome.

Jesse

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Jesse,
What to plant in containers on a patio - oooh! the possibilities are endless. Seriously though, don't get TOO carried away until you've put in a summer season. Even in Melbourne, summer heat on brick could be fairly ferocious and hard for a lot of plants to take. What sort of stuff are your neighbours growing? It might pay you to look at other houses in your suburb for ideas, especially if they face in the same direction as yours does. Generally Yuccas Cordylines and most succulents should do well in planters on a patio, but there are many other options. Since it's Spring, why not a few punnets of flowering annuals to give you some colour around the area until you get a better idea of what will grow for you. I'm kind of partial to pansies myself, any kind of statice, impatiens or how about Salvias? Annette68 would be the one to ask about them, she is our Salvia guru.

Can you show us your patio (veranda?) I'm sure we could come up with plenty of ideas for you!
TTFN, Kaelkitty.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jesse,
Ask the Aussie folks here how Plumies do down under...your patio sounds like a perfect area to root those pretties!!

What aspect does your verandah face? ....if it faces East you can grow almost anything.....if it faces West it may get too hot for some things.....as K said go look around the area and see what does well
it is an exciting time for you.... but get to know the climate and conditions before making any expensive or permanant plantings :) Please ask for help if you need it there are some wonderfl gardeners here ....why not tell us what your garden was like back home and what kind of things you enjoyed there :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Plumerias (frangipanis) I think thats what Chantell means, do well in most parts of Aussie, but I would suggest a sunny sheltered corner in Melbourne, or in a pot that can be moved indoors through the winter if there is a chance of frost. I'm pretty sure they can never get too much sun!

OK sun sun and more sun! for frangies......

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Jesse, (my daughters name, and spelled the same way!) How'd you go? Have you made any recent purchases for your patio yet? Pics please if possible. (I'm very visually oriented) Day lilies are good in pots! Good ole geraniums (Pelargoniums) do well also and give a wonderful flower display. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.