Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: New to Australia, 1 by Kaelkitty

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kaelkitty

In reply to: New to Australia

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New to Australia
Kaelkitty wrote:
Hi Jesse,
What to plant in containers on a patio - oooh! the possibilities are endless. Seriously though, don't get TOO carried away until you've put in a summer season. Even in Melbourne, summer heat on brick could be fairly ferocious and hard for a lot of plants to take. What sort of stuff are your neighbours growing? It might pay you to look at other houses in your suburb for ideas, especially if they face in the same direction as yours does. Generally Yuccas Cordylines and most succulents should do well in planters on a patio, but there are many other options. Since it's Spring, why not a few punnets of flowering annuals to give you some colour around the area until you get a better idea of what will grow for you. I'm kind of partial to pansies myself, any kind of statice, impatiens or how about Salvias? Annette68 would be the one to ask about them, she is our Salvia guru.

Can you show us your patio (veranda?) I'm sure we could come up with plenty of ideas for you!
TTFN, Kaelkitty.