Seeds for fall?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

What seeds can be planted in the fall and then come up in Spring. I live in Zone 8. Also,
are there any I can start inside now to put out in the fall. Pansies I know, but are there others
You can tell I'm new at planting for fall.
I doesn't really get cold here until after Thanksgivingm, sometimes not even thenm, so I hate to see all those flower beds go to waste.
Thanks to you all

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hollyhocks,dianthus,digitalis,pansies,violas,snapdragons,4-get-me-nots. I'm sure there's more but it's early and I've only had one cup of coffee.*G*

P

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Most of the coccinea salvias will come up in the spring if you put the seed out in the fall. Ditto cosmos

Wild Rose, WI

There are a lot of seeds that need a period of cold stratification to germinate. There is some really good information out there on winter sowing. A lot of native type plants need to be planted now; coneflowers, rudbeckia, hyssop, liatris, culver's root, poppies, asclepias, it is a long list. Search for "winter sowing".

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here in OzTown, Tax_Us (Zone 8b) - these are the seeds I am germinating for planting later in the season - - btw, Happy Autumn, Everyone!

Snapdragons, ornamental cabbage, ornamental kale, and Swiss chard

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to all of you. I am planning on growing most of those. Now all I have to do is figure out where to plant them!!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Where could I find some tips about direct sowing in fall? I have purchased seeds for some of the flowers listed above and would like to put them directly in the ground this month. Never tried it before -- any ideas?

Thanks!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Look at the winter sowing forum. You can direct sow anything that you winter sow in the fall. LOL Sounds confusing

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Windy. Will do!

Blanco, TX(Zone 9a)

Lupines, any kind can be sown in fall. I have started so many
other flowers, Liatris, Siberian Iris, most kinds of coneflowers,
asters and daiseys like fall sowing, too. Balloon flowers, I've
also started columbine, Spider flower, Tickseed and False
Indigo. I want a good jump on next spring! Has anyone tried
any others, or had success with something in particular?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.