Container Spillers

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I came across this spiller in the local greenhouse this year and love how it has performed. Dichondra "Silver Falls" I love long, flowing, full spillers. Got more ideas or pictures? Please post them.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Very Cool! I love it too, it really makes the pot! They have a green version, I think it is Emerald Falls. Let me see if I can find a pic.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I have dichondra Silver Falls also and I love how it just cascades down from the container. I had to hang it from my deck cause it got so long. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Bacopa is another of my favorite spillers. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Eleanor, your silver falls is sooooo pretty. I planted bacopa this year too and it started out great then it quit flowering and died shortly after. It's so pretty though, will have to try again next year. ♥ Gay

Staceysmom - Bacopa is noted for that but I cut mine back a little bit when it stops flowering and it will flower again. Eleanor

Just took a photo of my new waterfall fountain on my deck surrounded by sweet potato vines. They make good spillers but tend to take over a container so that's why I planted them alone. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Your fountain looks great Eleanor. Love the different sweet potatoes on each side. Very pretty. You are so right about them taking over a container. Good thing is you can start new plants just by snipping off an end and putting it in water or dirt.

Eleanor, I too planted the sweet potato vine, but.... I didn't plant it by itself! There was some New Guinea Impatiens in there and some creeping jenny but you can no longer seem them! Live and learn! Next year I will plant them in a container all by them selves!
Thanks for the info on the bacopa, will remember to cut it back. Sure do learn a lot here on DG!
♥ Gay

Thumbnail by staceysmom

By the way.... forgot to mention..... your fountain is beautiful!

Thanks for the comments on the fountain and on my favorite spillers. Where is everyone elses spillers? Come on I know you're out there lurking about - I'd like to get some more ideas for next year also. Eleanor

This is a container I did up last year with creeping jenny and ng impatiens. The creeping jenny was dragging on the ground by the end of the season but I can't find the picture of that. I did the same container this year but added the sweet potato vine. I really like creeping jenny in containers.... it also does well in shade as well as full sun.
♥ Gay

Thumbnail by staceysmom

I added these vines to a few of my planters but I wasn't real happy about the results. I think I would have liked them better in a hanging container. The supertunia did real well as a spiller however and I will be looking for more of this one next year.
♥ Gay

Thumbnail by staceysmom

This is a container planted with a couple of caladiums, some creeping jenny and a couple of different ivys. This is my first year growing caladiums and I really like them. I was pleased with the outcome of this one.
♥ Gay

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Beautiful Gay. I had supertunias this year also and they did really well. I love the Creeping Jenny as a spiller and I'll have to try it next year. I guess you and I were the only ones that planted spillers in containers this year!! LOL I tried fishing for some more pics on this thread but no bites so far! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Wow Eleanor those are spectacular. Oh well, we tried!
♥ Gay

Thanks Gay. Hate to tell you this - they're gone. They got so big and overgrown and when I cut them back, the centers were all gone from them. Since they were hanging on the front of the house, I threw them out last week. I just couldn't stand looking at them after they had been so beautiful. They were root bound and getting past their prime. I almost cried and my neighbors were mad. :-(
Next year I will cut them back sooner or pinch them to keep the centers better looking and producing leaves and flowers. Eleanor

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Gay and Eleanor!

I've been enjoying your spilling thrillers! :-) You folks are giving me some great ideas for next year.

I tried a few spillers this year within ground bound containers. I really have no place to hang plants around this house. Hubby complains about even the bird feeders that I had hanging in the front of the house. Why he can't duck, like I do, is beyond me? And just how often does he go through that pathway???? Rarely, but he complained every time, so I moved the feeders. **Sigh**

So, those ground bound containers....

I planted an orchid tree early in the season in a waybigo pot that I found on the side of the road. I wanted to be able to move the tree to the wintering spot for the first couple of years, otherwise I would have just put it in the ground. Around the tree, I planted some coleus and a couple of bluebonnets. When the bluebonnets "petered out", I stuck in a few sprigs of portulaca.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

Janet,
You found those pots on the side of the road?!!! Wow! Great find. Your orchid tree looks like it was meant for that pot! Beautiful. Nice growth. Looks like the portulaca has really grown from "a few sprigs". Love the hubby story too! Tee Hee, sounds a bit like mine! Thanks for sharing.
♥ Gay

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Unfortunately, you can't even see the pot anymore! HAHAHAHA

I love portulaca and have it in a variety of planters. I only bought one plant color of it this year. The rest came back from last year. I have several colors throughout the front and back yards.

Eleanor, too bad about your supertunias. Hate to lose plants. I also didn't know you could cut them back. I've got sooooo much to learn!
♥ Gay

Most or all annuals can be cut back. It takes a couple of weeks for them to bounce back but then they look good again if they had gotten scragley (is that a word). You don't even have to trim all of the stems if you don't want to loose all of the blooms at once. I cut back all of my million bells as they had gotten really long and only had blossoms at the very end. They have filled in nicely and are starting to bloom again. If I had pinched the ends in the begining they wouldn't have gotten so scragley. I need to remember that for next year but when the plants look so nice I don't think of it - only when they are not blooming well. Eleanor
p.s. Cut them at a pair of new leaves on the stem.

Janet - forgot to include in above. Nice containers - the portulaca looks so good in with the tree. That's another spiller I need to keep in mind for next year. Awesome pot find - wow!! Eleanor

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I really enjoy this thread, thanks stacey for starting it and everyone for posting more pics.
toofew

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow! These spillers are absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen Bacopa here in Fla., but it sure is one plant I'd love to have. The Dichondra "Silver Falls" is also fantastic. I'm in my renovation stage right now as things are so overgrown...just waiting till it cools down a bit to plant some new annuals.

Kat

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

KatG ~ I have tried Bacopa here... It seemed to melt away during this heat and humidity.

Columbus, OH

All your photos are beautiful. Next year is going to be hughly influenced by this thread. For those of you who planted sweet potato vines, did you get any sweet potatoes?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My most favorite container combo that I had did a couple of years ago (sorry, don't have a picture) was a Mr. Lincoln Rose with White Bacopa & Red Calibrachoas and Red Chenille...very beautiful.

This year I used Creeping Jenny with a Tea in a smaller Cast Iron Urn with a Ingrid Bergman Rose

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I tried the Emerald Falls from seed. Dichondria. It is more compact than the Silver Falls

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Bacopa is a Giant Snowstorm

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow! Joanne, those are LOVELY! That rose planter is stunning! How was the seed to plant growing experience? Easy to germinate?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Creeping Jenny was just peices from my flower beds - perennial. Too bad I didn't take a picture whent the CJ was in full bloom. Waterfall of yellow. The Emerald Falls was fairly easy to germinate & start growing indoors. The Silver Falls grew about 3 times as long though.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I like to use both, sometimes you need something to hang down farther and the colors are fun to play with too. Is CJ hardy in your zone? I've had some come back in pots from the season before, but gosh... you're in 2a! I want zone 10 or 12! How long is your growing season?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh ya, CJ is hardy here. Last frost usually beginning of May. 1st frost usually mid September.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Loved all the pics and ideas on this thread.........thanks

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow, I'd say CJ is highly under rated, then. I thought I'd post this link to some interesting info we were talking about over in C. Midwest forum on sweet potato vine....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/777820/

I just threw out all of my vines last week. They had some nice sized tubers in the pots too. Sure will remember this for next year.
Joanne your containers are soooo pretty. Love the combinations.

Pearl River, LA

hey everyone. I have this one....We are fixing to change it again for fall...

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

like that one!!!!!!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

shirleyt, beautiful picture. What is the name of the coleus beside the planter. This is my first year to get into coleus and I really love the different colors. I bought Sedona and about 3 or 4 others.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.