Hanging tomato vines in a shed to ripen green tomatoes.

Helena, MT

We are only a couple of weeks away from fall frosts here if this year is a repeat of last year, and I have about a dozen sausa/sauce tomato plants that are loaded with green tomatoes. I have been experimenting with variouis varieties that are suppose to be suited to cold climate and short season. The only procucer of ripe tomatoes so far is the Viva Italiana seed I purchase from Territorial Seed Co. All others are still lagging behind. I trimmed back all new growth and suckers for better exposure and I noticed something in the trimmings. There were some with smaller green tomatoes on the trimmed vines, that were laying in a pile, that had rippened. Somewhere I read that hanging tomato vines in a shed or garage would allow the green tomatoes to further ripen away from the killing frosts. We had a 30ft x 40ft Clery Building constructed last winter with plenty of 2 x 12 rafter space where I had hung my tomato cages. The building is unheated and the top of three walls is constructed with opaque panels. I don't see why this shouldn't work since the tomates on the removed vines still rippened in direct sun light.

I still have jars of green taco sauce and relish from last year so my object is to rippen as many of these as possible for my itilian suace dishes. I have tried ripening green tomatoes wrapped in newspaper and placed in a bag, and I wasn't satisfied with the results. Some ripened, some rotted, and some stayed green and got hard. Any suggestions on hanging the tomato vines would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have been getting some great tips on how to get an early jump start with my tomato plants. However, I would like to have some more suggestions on varieties that do well in short seasons. I have over 20 cages and I enjoy experimenting. Determinate varieties have worked the best so far.
Besides the Viva Italiana I plan to bring back my Northern Exposure (Indeterminate-small pear shaped tomatoes). Very few of these have rippened...someone keeps eating them off the vine while they are still orange! Guilty as charged. Just don't tell my wife or I'm dead meat.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I know what you mean about orange tomatoes not making it to the house. Luckily, my husband doesn't like tomatoes and I am welcome to all I want. As for hanging the vines in the rafters, that sounds like a good thing to do. I have heard of doing it, but never tried it myself. If you do try it, please give us a report on the results. I think I still have a little more than 6 weeks more of growing season left, thank goodness because my tomatoes only just started.
The two earliest cherries I get are cherry tomatoes --sweet 100 and sungold. I always grow a small full size tomato, Stupice, a Czechoslovakian heirloom which I have been growing for years now. it is indeterminate but beats all the larger tomatoes I have grown for earliness. I have heard that Fourth of July is good for earliness and I think it is determinant. I have grown it, but don't like it as well as Stupice because like all determinates, it bears a few tomatoes then peters out. My next earliest tomato is Cherokee Purple. For larger tomatoes, Oregon Spring is good and fairly early. After that I grow Pruden's Purple and Caspian Pink, both excellent heirlooms. They come in late here, but I do get some and they are delicious. Brandywines never get red for me, so I quit growing them. I am experimenting with Omar's Lebanese this year but it is very slow at starting. It just started setting fruit. Don't know if I will get any ripe ones or not.
I am at 7,300 ft. and summers and nights tend to be cool so our tomatoes are slow, but still delicious.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have hung the vines & thought it was a hassle.
Instead, i acquire shallow cardboard boxes, and lay newspapers in them - the tomatoes go on top, but are not wrapped. I check & turn them 2X a week & have had very good results with ripening. Mine come into the house, though, which could make a difference. I don't have a greenhouse, & the garage is too damp and cold.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, boy, another Helenite! Nothin' to add about tomatoes, just wanted to say welcome to DG!

Helena, MT

Katye Wins!

Hanging vines in the shed was a waste of time and energy!

But, my worms will be well fed this winter.

Thanks all for your input.

morgan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.