Salvia propagation via stem cutting problem encountered

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i have tried to root blue indigo spires salvia several times; all failed; THIS time
i put the cuttings in soil in baggies; they took....; so last night i took the entire
container with soil and the rooted salvia out of the bag (it had been about 2 wks)
i did this indoors so as to not stress the cuttings; at the time i took the group out of the bag the cuttings looked well hydrated and supple...within 15 minutes they
started sagging so i watered it...no improvement;

fast forward today; and they are really saggy; what the heck am i doing wrong? should i put them back in the baggie?...one of these years they will have to come out and i thought after 2 weeks it would be alright; HAYLLLLPPPP

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd put them back in the baggie, and start gradually increasing the amount of time they spend out of the baggie until eventually they're out all the time. Even though they have rooted, their roots are still very small, so you'll need to adjust them gradually to any sort of changes in environment.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

alright...hmmmm, i am going into the hospital next week and was trying to get everything in manageable shape...but that sure makes sense; thank you:) so fun to get these things to finally root don't wanna lose them....

so do you repot to larger pot or straight into the ground? do you fertilize at all? and when

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

This time of year, I would definitely not put it in the ground, I would keep it in a pot until it cools down a bit, otherwise it's a pretty sure bet the transplant shock will kill it since it's small and doesn't really have good roots yet. And it's not good to fertilize it right away, you could add a root stimulater like SuperThrive if you want, that may help stimulate root development. Once you start to see new top growth you could probably give it some diluted fertilizer, but if the plants are stressed at all and wilting I definitely wouldn't do it yet. As far as a larger pot or not--it depends on how big the one it's in now is, unless it was a really tiny pot it'll probably be OK in it for a little while yet.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

they aren't in pots yet...they are in the 1/2 -1 inch cells...so there is not alot of room; thanks for your help:)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Then I'd pot them up to a small pot (I'd wait until you've adjusted them to living outside the baggie though unless they're getting rootbound in the cells, generally one stress at a time is the best way to go!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.