Figs up here in the frozen tundra. (NJ, that is.)

Longboat Key, FL

I have no real problem in Florida -- but up here I am in a quandary.

I have a pair of two-year-old Celestes. I nipped off the tips (a hint from a CA commercial grower.)

But the figs sre coming so ssslllooowwwlllyyy.

You can see from the photo that the foliage is rather luxurious. But when do we eat?

: )

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

Here one can see a couple of the figlets.

Can any other DG'er help?

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Figs seem to set their own schedules. Here the second crop of Latarula's got finished off by squirrels a couple of weeks ago, but the Petite Nigras are just now ripening the second crop only a couple at a time.
Most years the entire season is finished at the end of July. Whether the cooler and much wetter summer was a factor is unknown.

Longboat Key, FL

Up here you basically start from scratch each year, since the frosts burn the tops of the plants.

Down South I have been on a campaign to suggest to the squirrels another, better place to live. It seems to have some effect.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

Flyboy...

I swear I had to enlarge your pics to verify that you didn't post pics of mine!

~Chills

(though I don't know if the fig in question is Celeste)

Thumbnail by Chills
Longboat Key, FL

Chills~

They certainly looks like twins. When did you plant yours? And what happens over the winters?

This is what my Celeste looked like when I unwrapped it around May 20th, this year. I cut back to the first live bud -- and held my breath.

It was growing so fast (and figlet-less) that I took the advice of a commercial grower from CA, and nipped the ends.

What do your figlets look like?

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

I planted it last spring. I wrapped it last fall, but unfortunately I unwrapped it before the Easter freeze. All growth shown is new growth (everything over 4-6 inches died).

I have another pic (from the same day as the previous pic) in which a figlet is visible. Currently the figlet is about the size of a quarter (it was smaller in the pic).

~Chills

Thumbnail by Chills
Longboat Key, FL

I guess we're in the same fix.

I'll post when I get to eat the first one.

Good luck.

Be well

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.