overwintering cannas

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

that is a good warm spot.

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey sallyg, let's talk cannas for a bit. Last year I cut down of few of my cannas, before they died/turned brown., and lots of liquid pour out from the stem. So I stopped. Is that normal? If I cut them before they dry out, will that harm them -- do they need to reabsorb the liquids (like some bulbs do)?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Ya, I'd like to know too!! I just cut my down because the foliage was a brown and nasty from the frost. The stem was still pretty moist. I hope I haven't done something wrong!

Because I have so many in that south-east corner, I can't tell if the few I cut down (that leaked lots of liquid) were damaged.

Clinton, MO

I am no expert guys, but I think they are like most everything else, they need to be pretty much left until they have either died down or freeze has gotten them. The longer the bulb, rhyzome, tuber etc. can feed on the green tops the better.

Will someone who is an expert on the cannas step in here? :)

Just notice there's a single deep orange bloom on one of the canna's. I can see them from my kitchen window, helps me enjoy (or should I say get through) doing the dishes.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

PLEASE Michael, clarify that... "get through" or I might GAG at the thought of you enjoying the dishes!!! LOL... my dish washer is not working currently and my husband does not have the time, we don't have the money to repair it. I get to spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME looking out that window!!! I will confess that is why I keep cutting down the forsythia! It blocks the view out that window! (Anyone want a start of a plant that is destined to take over the world?)

Clarified for psych: "get through" it is. I'll pass on the forsythia -- plenty in this area, we don't need any more.

If you're waiting for a canna expert, don't look at me! I have grown this one old variety for a long time but that doesn't make me an expert. I take a pretty haphazard approach to them because I know they will grow so much the following year, I can't imagine ever being without them. I have cut them and seen the wet stems. I have cut them green and have cut them after some frost. I store them like old boots, just dumped in a box and they're fine for me. Either I'm very very lucky, or have a mutant super strain of them, or they're really tough and can take abuse. Don't you think its the last of those?

Clinton, MO

Absolutely, it must be! I am just glad to know they are so tough!!

I like the old boots approach - I throw my old boots under the house, exactly where I'm going to store the potted cannas I have -- works for me. We must have the same mutant strain -- never saw them bloom in November, although it's only one. I'm sure it's the last one I'll see until next year ... :(

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

I also have a late bloomer this year (never before in November). My favorite Color Clown in a big pot. i haven't yet decided what to do with Clown once we get a hard freeze. I know I'll cut it down but haven't decided whether to leave it in the pot and mulch; or try the dig, dry and store method. I guess i could do both if I try to separate the plant (it has at least 3 shoots), but don't want to shock it. Any ideas?
jo

Thumbnail by GeorgiaJo
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

since ur 7b, i'd leave it in the ground, uness its gonna be sitting in real wet soil

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I find that benign neglect quite often works best. LOL
Well, I'm still fence sitting. I had discussed it with Ric and we pretty much decided that we were going to heavily much them and see what happens. Then I was out cleaning away the dead 4:00's that were planted in the same bed and I saw all the stones in that bed. You know out of sight out of mind. Last year in the rush to finish moving the old dirt pile and get the cannas in. I never got around to sifting the dirt for stones. Not something I always do. But this area was a one time very long ago a parking spot. There was a good bit of crushed limestone that came to the surface when Ric rototilled the bed. I didn't have time last spring to shift. Now the question isn't just how to store the cannas but weather to de-stone the bed. Here is a pic from last week the bed was still looking pretty good until the recent heavy frost.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly, it looked darn good in the picture so why not think its fine as is and save yourself a lot of work? Well drained. Go with the heavy mulch!

It's November and I still have blooms! Just thought I would share them with you.

Any one know which variety this is?

Thumbnail by michaeljo
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

wyoming?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Ric says lime (limestone) will sweeten the soil. When the flowers are blooming you really can't see the bed. If I don't fix it now I never will. I was out collecting seeds this morning and snapped a pic of how bad it really is under those flowers.
Michaeljo, Very pretty must have them in a protected area. Mine bit the dust just last week after a heavy frost.
Uggggggly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

They're even prettier when they're full of blooms. Growing near the house foundation in a south-east corner ... warm and cozy.

GeorgiaJo- I didn't want to answer too fast because I don't consider myself an expert. I think the experts have quit reading this thread. I don't think shock is an issue because I sure shock mine every year, ripping them up and throwing them around. I think you should avoid cutting the rhizomes (fat roots) or leaving too many open wounds on the roots by breaking them up. Other than that, I think storing in pot or mulching are equally OK for you.
michaeljo- very pretty canna color
Holly- that is pretty full of rocks!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2007 8:50 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pulled my cannas out today. It was pretty painless. I cut off the tops and loosely wrapped them in newspaper and put them in a couple of boxes. We'll see how they do. I couldn't get over how huge the bulbs got. These were all new this year. With a little luck maybe I can get the stones sifted before the ground freezes.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

I cut my cannas down yesterday. The ones that were in the the ground or in large pots --- just left them there. They'll probably come back.

But i did dig up the ones that were in small pots or in the pond. I guess I'll wrap them in newspaper and leave them on the unheated side porch - is that the recommendation? What about all those roots? Should I trim those down?

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

I dug my cannas out yesterday too, and have the same questions. Right now I left the dirt on them to dry and have them in a box in the green house. What is the most successful method? Last year I left these in the ground, but I lost some, and the ones that came up were slow to grow! I also have some in pots, and may just bring them in and leave them in their pots.
Thanks for any advice.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey - does anyone know if it would be good to put the rhizomes in a box with packing peanuts? I have tons!
thx-
jo

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Are your packing peanuts plastic or starch based. There are some made with starch that melt when comming in contact with water.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

don't have a clue, hollyann. Guess I'll just use newspaper instead (to be safe).
thx for responding.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The starch based look alittle different. Just drop a few in a glass of water and you'll know which one you have the starch based will melt. Although I wouldn't think either would be good to use. Holly

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I have dug all of my Cannas, washed off all the dirt and have them lying for a few days to dry.

My questioms are for those of you that use the newspaper. Do you single layer your rhizomes in a cardboard box with layers of newspaper between the layers?....or....Do you wrap each rhizome in a piece of the newspaper?...or...Do you use shredded newspaper?

Some of you who have had success at using newspaper...would you please give a step by step on your successful process of storing the rhizomes?

Thank you,
Nana3

Well, here's what I do.
I cut off the tops after the frost hits them I leave about three inches of stem. I dig them up as whole as possible and shake off my sandy soil. Not too much clings. I let them air dry outside, maybe. That depends on the weather. They may be a little damp when I pack them. I wouldn't pack them wet from washing or rain. I use a large cardboard box with a layer of newspaper in the bottom if there's a hole in the bottom where dirt might dribble out. Then I pack them in, putting big gangly ones in first and tucking smaller ones in and around them. These roots are fat, like two inches in diameter, and may have branched several inches in a few directions. I try not to break them as I pack. I like them to be unbroken. Then I close the box top, and shove it under a small table in my utility room on the floor. Its dry and not directly heated, but not cool like a garage. Last year, I did the same basic thing but used a large open Target plastic bag and a few layers on newspaper lining it. I left the top open.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! If anyone has more guidance, please go ahead. When I googled Canna care I got a health place in CA, as in Canna-bis maybe...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sally, Love it Canna Care!!!!!!!
I'm trying the newspaper for the first time. Pretty much what Sally said except that I loosely wrapped each bulb in a sheet of newspaper.

Evansville, IN(Zone 6b)

I used to grow old fashion cannas with the small red flowers. The Japanese beetles liked them better than I do. But this year, I'm part of an adopt-a-spot project that had 18 cannas started in pots and donated to us. 17 grew large red blooms and one bloomed yellow. They were beautiful.

We dug them up last weekend and they all had multiplied the rhisomes like you wouldn't believe. The yellow one had over 30 new eyes in a 2-foot diameter clump of roots and soil. All together we got five 5-gallon buckets and four wine boxes full of nice rhizomes along with the mother shoots.

We split them up three ways. One person took hers home and has them laying out on the basement floor in a storage room drying. Another lady took the wine boxes home and I don't know what she's done with hers yet. I laid mine out in the drive, hosed them off, let them sit for a few days, and packed them in boxes with wood shaving pet bedding. The shavings smell like there's a high percentage of pine. Does anyone think the wood shavings will be too acid or otherwise harm the rhizomes?

pr

Here's part of what I found on a site, suite101.com, by searching how to dig and store canna roots
"How to Package Cannas for Winter Storage
There are many different packing and storage methods so there is no one single right way to do this. I have unceremoniously dumped them in a cardboard box and shoved it in the back corner of my dark, unheated basement with good results. But, that is probably not the best way to keep your cannas!

Ideally, pack the roots in a single layer in a cardboard box or paper bag, separated and covered by clean dry shavings, peat moss, perlite, or sand. The rhizomes should not touch each other. If your storage area is very dry, enclose them in a plastic bag. Punch holes in the bag or leave it loosely open so air can circulate.

Ideal Winter Storage Temperature for Cannas
Your goal in storage is to keep the roots cool (not cold), dry and dark. Aim for a temperature between 45 and 55 degrees. Kept too cold, the rhizomes rot. When stored too warm, they may try to grow prematurely. Experiment and see what packing method and storage place work best for you.

Trouble With Stored Canna Roots (Rhizomes)
Check your cannas periodically. Remove any that soften or begin to rot. Rotting can be caused by cold temperatures or by storing damaged or overly wet rhizomes.

If they start to shrivel, mist with water and consider using a plastic bag (see above) to help keep them from drying out.

Most canna storage problems are related to the storage temperature. Check the temperature inside the storage container using a min max thermometer and adjust as needed."

I have 4 cannas in 2 pots that I left them in the pots/soil, cut them back, mulched them and put under my house in a crawl space back in November. I was in the crawl space today and found the cannas are growing. It's a dark, dry, cool (50-60 degrees) spot. Should I cut the growth back to the soil level or would it be better to take them out of the pots/soil and store them as sallyg describes above?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i would just leave them.... growing nor not

I'll leave them alone and see what happens ... I have plenty more in the garden if these don't make it. Thanks!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

any time

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.