Moonvine Visitor

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

They come at dusk, are not shy... hummingbird moths .... love the moonflowers and brugmansia... so fun to watch. Look close, you can see his "pollenator"!

Thumbnail by AuntB
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is a great picture!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Marie, I just keep snapping till I get a good one. Do you have them In AZ?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yes we do and so far I have not caught one of them pollinating my Dats.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pic !! I don't have any night blooming plants in bloom now so don't see these guys much.

Kyle :-)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm so jealous!!!! They scared the dickens out of me last year. They were going after my Brugmansia when I was out taking pictures of the blooms. They would dive bomb me!!! I couldn't get a good picture of them. Your picture is so impressive .... good job.

Judy

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What a fun picture. I do not think we have them here. So where is his pollinator?

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Kell! That's private! HA, he has his feeler thing (lol) out in the pic..... here's a pic that you can see his "pollinator"..

Thumbnail by AuntB
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the long thingie he has in the flower. It must be long to reach the pollen!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It is very long! In the first pic, it is touching the flower with it.... Let me post a different view and maybe you can see it...

Thumbnail by AuntB
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Whoa............ I would be afraid that bug would poke my eye out.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

we have theam here to there big

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Kell, they curl it up to fly, it is really an awesome bug. Have you seen them up close, Paul? What color are they in FL?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

about the same as yours watch out tho they will attack

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

They do come close to our heads, but haven't been dive-bombed, yet. There were 5 or 6 on the Maya brug last night, it's funny to watch them shimmy up the bloom, then out, sometimes they "dive-drop" out and make a 90 degree turn in mid air..

Thumbnail by AuntB
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Heresa pic of one

Thumbnail by phicks
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Aunt B those are great picture and P yours too. I think I need to go sit by my Dats and see if I can catch one.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

they bite

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

WHOA! Paul, it's PRETTY! You're kidding about the bite......right?? Maybe if you sit or step on it, but I didn't think they seem naturally mean... Well, I've been bitten by UGLY bugs before, so it couldn't hurt too much from such a beautiful flyer!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

All Moths Bite

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hard to think of a teeth and a bloody mouth on that cute little thing.

I just showed my husband your pictures and he loved them too. Thanks.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

LOL- Kell, that's funny! I wish I could snap a pic of their face, but then they would be flying right at my face........ probably to acquire the bloody face! haha I'm glad you're enjoying, they've become part of my evening activity... (I'm a low-maintenance lady, doesn't take much to keep me entertained!). They don't really have teeth........do they?....... Paul?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i had one make a hole in my back a few years back

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

PAUL! You are teasing! (I hope) ;

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

nope true

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Paul. . .

I GOT IT!

These harmless hummer moths that love nectar just can't resist you because you are so Drippin' Sweet !

Emma

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thats Right

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.