Apple Butter Strainer???

Helena, MT

Wife and I recently picked a bushel and a half of small worm infested apples. I spent 12-hours cutting out the good stuff to make apple butter. After slow cooking to a mush consistency my wife strained the apples...the hard way through a hand held strainer. Her arthritus afterwards was pretty bad. Can someone give me a clue where to find or get information on some tool that will take the pain out of straining mushy apples???

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I have an attachment on my kitchenaid that would do the trick, but I think your best bet is to find a canning supply store that sells the pointy colanders with the pestle that fits into the cone part, used for many centuries to squish berries & fruits for jams.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I wonder if you couldn't just put it all through a food processor and eat the whole thing, skins and all. The only flaw I can see in this plan is that the food processor may grind it too fine.
The item GJ is talking about is called a ricer. There is another item that is a pan with wire mesh in the bottom like a strainer and a hand crank which can be turned to mash all the stuff through the holes. That might be a little easier than pushing it through a sieve and more selective than a food processor.
If I find the name of that gadget I will post it on this thread.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is a link to a page with lots of ricers, such as Greenjay was suggesting:

http://www.theezycatalog.com/sci/cooking_utensils_2.htm

The other item is called a food mill. See below:

http://www.theezycatalog.com/eshop/Cat5Browse.asp?search=Cooking:TA:Utensils:FoodMill

By the way, I am not recommending this company. I know nothing about them, but they do have good pictures. These products are available in lots of places, probably even a good hardware store.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

My aunt and mammaw always used the food mill to grind there fruit and berries, and they good, old southern girls from the woods of SW Louisiana and East Texas.

Helena, MT

Appreciate all the suggestions. We have a Kitchenaide Artisian mixer and I checked out those attachments you recommended greenjay. Will give it a try. There was quite a bit of left over pulp which was probably mostly skin which I put in my red wiggler compost bin. Worms seemed to like that as much as we did the apple butter. We have encountered a major problem with the process though. Great granny tried the apple butter and now everone wants a jar! Must streamline this process or I won't have time for anything else. Thanks much for all the great suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.