LAVENDER PLANTS

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

HOW TO YOU PROPAGATE OR COLLECT SEEDS FROM THE LAVENDER PLANT. THE PLANTS I HAVE ARE LADY AND MUNSTEAD. THANK YOU VERY MUCH JIM

Hi JIMMYP AND WELCOME TO DAVE'S GARDEN'' Well, this is my 1st time with lady lavender too' Mine is struggling,and barely making it now' After the blooms dry,if I ever have any,I'll just cut them off and collect the seeds' I haven't propogated any either'You might check the database'' Sis'

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

THANKS SIS IF SOMEONE WRITES AND TELLS ME HOW TO DO IT I WILL LET YOU KNOW. JIM

Good Deal'''

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Lavender is pretty easy to take cuttings from. Take cuttings 3 or 4 inches tall, strip the bottom leaves, apply a rooting hormone (if you have it), and stick in a damp sandy potting soil. Keep them covered with a plastic dome until they root. Coke bottles with bottoms cut off work well. Make sure they aren't too wet or they may rot.

A friend told me she had good results from layering cuttings. Take some of the lower branches and bend them so a section of the stem can be pinned to the soil. Scrape a bit of the outer "bark" layer off where the stem will come into contact with the soil and they should root while still attached to the mother plant.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oooh, oooh, oooh, I didn't know you could take cuttings from lavender. We have some running wild on the running path maintained by the parks dept... I wonder if they would notice if I helped them do some very light, uh, pruning...

Thank you poppysue,going to try those techniques tomorrow'

I doubt they would say anything kmom246,just helping out,eh??Lol

We have our answer JIMMYP'''

sterling, PA(Zone 5b)

To Poppysue, Thanks alot for the information I'm going to try it.
And sis we are on our way now.
Kmom 246 I don't think they would mind much as for me I'm going to try that.
Talk to you guys later Jimmyp

(Zone 5a)

I got a few seeds from my Munstead this year. When the flowers are dry, pinch off the whole flower stalk. I had to pull each little flower off and open them to get the seeds. They are ovalish and lavender/black. Don't wait too long or there won't be many seeds!!! Heather

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

some of my best plants have come from "unauthorized prunings". It seems the best results are from cuttings taken near "KEEP OUT" signs, although that has no scientific basis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.