Self Sowers?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

This may not be the right forum, but it is related. While saving seeds is the only thing to do for many annuals like zinnias and marigolds that don't survive the winter in zone 4 (do they self sow in warmer areas?), there are a lot of plants that easily self sow, with only a wee bit of attention. I am surprised to find that salvia may night is one of these. What plants do you find that self sow easily?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So far in our garden we have had these self-sow to some extent:

Verbena 'bonarienses'

certain 'hardy geraniums'

hollyhock

morning glories

cosmos

petunia

nicotiana

Cleome

And all kinds of weeds!!

mmm....good idea for a thread...I'll have to think a bit more about it!

In my gardens: madagascar periwinkles, a few marigolds, fewer begonias and impatiens, cardinal flowers ( not where I want them though... thanks to our feathered friends)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

This spring I had more cleome, nicotiana, and amaranth than I had time to weed out, LOL. I was also surprised that my Purple Knockout Salvia self-sowed quite prolifically.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have

Cosmos
Snow on the Mountain
Cleome
Verbena 'bonasarias'

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Here's a few more:
columbine
malva
lettuce
arugula
kale
rudbeckia
giant red mustard
cherry tomato
fennel
asparagus
dill
coriander

I included the veggies and herbs because I have a mixed cottage type garden, and I am putting the self sowing veggies along the fence where I will know not to weed them out.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

cosmos, jupiter's beard, penstemon, snapdragons (some overwintered, some self-seeded), allyssum, russian sage, salvia "Lady in Red", salvia "Coral Nymph", verbascum, artemisia "sea foam", portulaca, etc.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

columbine, hardy geranium, forget-me-not, marsh violets, Lewesia pygmaea, Lamium, kyoto mizuna, borage, spring beauty, goat's beard, foxglove, Lychnis flos culculi, English daisy, Campanula, Adenophora, Dianthus, Iceland Poppies, Paludosum Daisy, Mimulus, Viola, and many more I can't recall!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow,
That's a pretty impressive list for zone 3, maybe I will try some of them.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah . . . but some of my self-sowers are already germinating? Now what do I do?

Baby's Breath
Linaria
foxglove

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

They should be fine if they are hardy to your zone.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Excellent - I should have a gazillion flowers next summer :-) uh . . . but do I want them all????

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have that problem with Cleome, Cosmos and Snow on the Mountain. I have so many volunteers that this year I just potted and gave away or finally I just started pulling and making compost.

Why is it that the plants we really want to have seedlings of never produce them for you? I scattered some Balloon Flower seeds near my plant so maybe they will sprout for me in the spring.

I am looking around my garden and it is getting way too crowded so now that it is cooling off I may start thinking about what I want to move. I have some creeping phlox that I would like to drape over the large rocks around my beds so I may try to move them now and let them get established before winter.

Fall is here. I went out to feed the fish this morning before work and there was steam rising off of the water. All the natural ponds do that in the fall, it's pretty but...you know what comes after fall.

Peggy

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Peggy, fall is truly starting here in Seward. The cottonwood leaves are starting to fall all over the yard. Yes, I have to agree that the most desirous plants do not seem to reseed themselves. I think that we are just destined to feel humble by the gardening experience.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have a lot of salvia may night self sown seedlings this year - this is definately a most desirable plant to me!
Sharon

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes - I found some Veronica Sunny Boy Blue seedlings - very happy about these.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I planted Veronica Sightseeing Mix this year and all I got was blue. I was hoping for a nice mix but it didn't happen, I guess I will get another color next year to go with the blue.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

calendula and balsom always drops seeds and comes back the next year.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm impressed Loon. I so wanted my balsam to self-seed last year and even had myself convinced that it had. I'm not sure what it was that I so carefully weeded around last spring, but it sure wasn't balsam!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.