Need some help!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
Well first I would like to ask the name of the campground you had mentioned to us not to far from your home Critter if you dont mind?
Now the help... I have a white Datura that someone gave me as a plant at the swap at Harts. It is beautiful... I would like to get more seeds but I am a bit confused. I see seeds that say BRUGMANSIA - Datura? Are they the same? I was at HD tonight in NC. and they had a plant there that looked just like my white Datura but it was BIG...beautiful... If I knew it would have lived in the house until next year I would have gotten it .... So can someone please help me in tell me what is what?
Thank you for any help...
Hugs,
Susan

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Brugmansia and Datura are different (but similar) plants in the same family, Solanaceae, a huge family of flowering plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco, nightshades, etc.
Daturas are also called 'Devil's Trumpets', and Brugmansias are called 'Angel's Trumpets', the reason being Datura flowers point upwards from the ground (or level), and "Brug" flowers hang downwards, as if from heaven. The flowers are about identical, as far as I can tell. I think Brugs can get much, much bigger, like a small tree.

I don't know if Brugmansias are hardy in your zone, but I've had a Jimson weed / Datura last a couple years around here. Just so you know, they are poisonous if ingested. That's about all I know, except some trivia, and a "don't try this at home" story...

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes I knew they could kill ya...LOL I ordered a book lastnight online about these so I will learn a little and that is good..LOL
Thank you so much for your help...
Susan

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

oh come on whats the story?
The developer built a berm along behind us at the new dev'm't, this spring, . It was soon totally covered in a hedge of Jimson weed. There were a few around the pasture before but now there's this 200 foot solid row. it surprised me. Unless it came in the grass seed they threw down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.