Let all see your garden visitors

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

I guess this guy was hungry. He didn't like me disturbing his dinner.

Thumbnail by dhemmer
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Really neat photo, Can't imagine eating dinner that way. Now I know why they have so many legs.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Cool picture dhemmer!!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I simply love this thread! Great photos. I have a lot of quail in my yard and love the hatchlings, but roadrunners will eat them too! I try to remind myself that it is natures way and she is taking her kill back to her own babies. But I still don't like to see it! LOL! Here is a simple one I just took of a butterfly.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Garlic chives seem to attract visitors

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Resting

Thumbnail by gardengus
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Just had to post this, it is the only Hummer I have seen this year, we usually get quite a few.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

great pictures everyone! I can't seem to get a pic of the hummingbirds! very nice!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Here is a mountain bluebird hatchling that was learning to fly this spring.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

And the reason I found the bluebird photo was you guys got me looking for my hummingbird photo. I took this from a bedroom window so it isn't the best, but I like it!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Love the hummingbirds!

Does anybody know what kind of a critter this is? I have several impatiens in pots, and the critters hide among the leaves. Whenever I go to water (with a watering can), they all come flying out. I don't know if they're bees or wasps or hornets or what.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2007 1:21 PM

Thumbnail by revclaus
Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Fallopia Japonica varigata..I've had this plant for7 or 8 years. I've never seen it in any other garden or forums.Why?I
adoesn't spreadd and obeautiful from ot's little red sprouts coming up in the spring thru windstorms ,rain and drought.

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

revclaus, Looks rather like a paper wasp, whatever they are the behavior sounds a little agressive,bee careful.

Brookside, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was wandering through my garden this morning salting slugs, a favorite occupation after it rains, and saw this praying mantis on the garage wall, above a hosta flower. It's missing a leg segment. I won't bother to submit pictures of slugs!

Thumbnail by HopeinNJ
Dowagiac, MI

Hummingbird on feeder. Taken from inside the house through patio glass.
blpender

Thumbnail by blpender
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi all,

I just took this picture of a spider spinning a web. He has been in my garden now for several days and I dare not disturb him.

Thumbnail by BettyFB
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is the biggest bumble bee I have ever seen. He was really getting into his work!
♥ Gay

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Wow and such small wings. It's a wonder he can fly.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

gardengus, now that you mention it I did notice he flew very slowly. Had to really get those wings a flappin' to get anywhere!
Great photos here! Love the extreme close-ups of these critters!
♥ Gay

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

This guy wasn't exactly in my garden but I thought it was really cool watching him emerge from his shell. This picture was taken last year but I thought it still worthy of showing.

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sometimes our garden visitors tend to be bigger. Here's a mama moose and her twin calves munching on our river willow.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Dowagiac, MI

YEOWWW!!!! I sure can't top that. Awesome.
blpender

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This cow moose has been wandering our neighborhood all summer with her babies. They are growing fast. Everytime I hear gunfire around here, I worry that someone has decided to fill the freezer before moose season. The adult moose love our river willow, as well as native Lady Fern and Fireweed. They don't seem to be too interested in my garden plants, for the most part, but the babies are still learning what they like, so they nibble everything, then spit out the things they reject. I usually try to shoo them out of the yard gently, but not before I get some good pictures. Moose do not spook easily, and you never want to get between a cow and her calves. They charge like a bull.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Swallowtail

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

grasshopper w/ crocosmia

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

dove

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

wasp on aster

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hummer perched on Hummingbird Vine

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Praying Mantis

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Blue & Black Wasp on spearmint.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Great pictures jnorth ,and I especially love the hummingbird shot. I have three in my yard and they are so fast I cannot get a good picture like that. So I will just enjoy yours!!!!!

Olympia, WA

OK, you asked for this!!! Actually, I posted it in another DG forum, so will just
put the link here ....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3908620

Olympia, WA

Another garden visitor .......

Thumbnail by wannadanc
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

This little guy was under a watering can on my porch today.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Several birds were visiting my feeder. I got this cute "porch swing" at a JoAnn's. edited to say I like to think it is one of the hatchlings from this spring. ; )

This message was edited Sep 4, 2007 4:07 PM

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

And this grasshopper looked just like a leaf. It was munching in my rose garden.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

cactuspatch,

Cute pictures---so very precious!!!!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks Betty, I wasn't too happy to find the snake, but realized it wasn't a rattler so decided to snap his photo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.