Fall Southwest Swap, 11-3-07 Phoenix

Phoenix, AZ

We have Ramada #2 in Papago Park, Saturday, November 3, anytime after 8 a.m. (It's an all-day reservation.) Here's the map:

ftp://www.phoenix.gov/pub/PARKS/papamap.pdf

Papago Park's address is: 625 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix. I did a Mapquest to see if I got directions just using the name and I did, although the map did bring up more places with "Papago" in the name. This should help anyone not familiar with the park to find their way there.

The ramada has electricity and water. It also has a large 'patio' just off to one side of the ramada where anyone who wishes can set up a canopy. The ramada is big and the tables are huge so I doubt we'll need more room - but it's there.

Some pics.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 8:55 AM

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

Close-up.

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

The restroom! Right across the road, folks.

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

Another view.

Thumbnail by tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

AGUANE'S SPACE ( I defer my given name, Susie, to Birdlady)

Thanks for doing this Alma! Very nice! Can't wait... gotta get some seeds in the dirt!
FOR:
Coral Canna (thanks azreno for the splitting info)
Lynn
Marie
Rodica
Nancy
Brittany
(depending on the yield I'll have splits for ya'll in order of request. Its not a monster but I think I have enough!)
Sharon

This message was edited Aug 23, 2007 10:09 AM

This message was edited Aug 29, 2007 7:28 AM

This message was edited Aug 29, 2007 6:50 PM

Phoenix, AZ

May I make a suggestion here? On another forum, each member planning to come just put their name in a post, labeling it "(Your name here) space". That way, everyone can return anytime and use the 'edit' feature to post what plants, seeds, etc. they're bringing or wanting.

Can we leave food and other stuff to an October post?

Phoenix, AZ

Alma's space. And, no, I don't have a clue yet. Maybe I'll join Susie and plop some seeds in starter pots.

WANT: Western Bower Clematis (Jill's)
Jill's milkweed
Anything that will grow on chainlink and take Western sun
Anything that will grow - and bloom! - in shade

HAVE: Campsis radicans (red-orange trumpet vine) though it will be dormant (probably) by then
One or two, maybe three, Chaste trees

RESERVED: One chaste tree (Jill)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2007 12:00 PM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lorri's space..and ditto for right now.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love Papago Park. Good job Alma, I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for doing the leg work. - LIterally!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Christina's space...
Mine, my space, all mine!!

- HAVE - If they live...
- 1 yellow bell baby
- 4 Short-type morning glory seedlings
-Cuttings from White Bank Rose (anyone who can root or cultivate themselves are more than welcome, I can't do it yet but will bring you fresh cuttings the day of the swap)
-Desert Bird of Paradise seedlings (yellow flower with red thingys sticking out of it, not found around Phoenix that I've seen!)
-MoonFlower seedlings

Reserved
-Sweetpeas -Jill, Birdlady Susie, Bsavage (That's it for now, waiting to see if new seedlings will emerge)

Want-
cannas (lovin them!!),
Full sun small flowering plants (i.e. Cosmos)

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 10:19 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Marie's space No idea on what I am bringing yet.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 8:25 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

SHARON'S SPACE
Sorry...gonna miss the swap.
Have fun!!!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2007 4:39 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Jill's space--and, please, count me in towards paying the reservation fee!

I have:
rooted kalanchoe cuttings (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54655/) (finally ID'd my plant!)
white rain lilies (Zephyranthes candida); I've got at least a hundred, I'll bring in by truckloads
clematis cuttings
vining milkweed cuttings
penstemon babies (probably Parry, might be coral)
Blackfoot daisy seeds (Melampodium leucanthum)
Lavender spice bush??? seeds???

I want:
perennial MG cuttings

Reserved:
vining milkweed cuttings: TF, Marie, Lindagarden
clematis cuttings: TF, Marie, Newhobby, Brenda
rain lillies: Newhobby, SunnyAZ, Rodica, Marie, TF, AZRobin
blackfoot daisy seedlings: AZRobin
blackfoot daisy seeds: Marie, AZRobin, AZReno

On the clematis front, I'm not 100% on the ID. No fluffy seed pods, or actually seed pods anywhere--seems to spread by roots or by layering. Still pretty, still very vigorous! I dug some up and put into pots, we'll see how they look by November. I'll also bring along lots of cuttings if necessary.

Is anyone interested in the penstemon babies? If not, I probably won't dig them up, so please let me know ASAP so I can get them into their travel homes in time for them to perk up a little before the swap.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2007 9:45 PM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2007 11:50 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Good work, Alma!

Pueblo West, CO

Nanc's space.... not sure yet what I'm bringing.

Jill... I'm interested in your white rain lilies.

I will have the Tree Mg seeds, Scarlet Mg (Ipomoea hederifolia), Japanese Red Moonvine seeds, Hibiscus Ocober Rose seeds, Datura Discolor seeds. Also, have a pink Ruellia plant if anybody is interested

This message was edited Oct 31, 2007 11:15 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Nancy--deal!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Have

pencil cactus "firesticks" -only if someone wants them
dayflower
bloodflower
some kind of gasteria- do have more
mother of gazillions baby
perennial MG cuttings
4 baby pregnant onions, these were kim's from the last swap, I took them home and potted them, shared 2 already, lost one, and have 4 left to share

SEEDS

dbl prpl datura
white datura
mixed 4 o'clocks
castor beans, carmencita
cypress vine
tithonia
mg tree
black eyed susans
abutilon palmeri
african daisy, the orange and yellow ones
shoo fly
talinum
blue flax
lion's ear
cleome

Reserved
Baby purple priclky pear cactus- Marie and Brittanny
some kind of gasteria-Sharon
native milkweed and silky oak, Marie
chameleon, MG tree, and moneywort FK
canna Usha
canna Aguane
canna, cuttings, Judy

SEEDS

Sharon, MG tree and JMG broken colors 4 o'clocks (you were the first to ask and I only had a tiny bit )
Christina dbl prpl datura, white datura, cypress vine, mg tree, lion's ear, 4 o'clocks
Crista white and purple datura
Jim dbl prpl datura
Jill dbl prpl datura
Brittany, hmmm wants seeds lol
Brenda 4 o'clocks
Mary mixed 4 o'clocks
Alma fragrnat pink

Those wanting specific 4 o'clocks........they had to go, I had gardening to do and the plants were in the way, I didn't get many seeds- buuut a mix from last year has the broken colors and the fragrant pink! The natives don't have developed seed yet, I will try for seedling of those next year.

If I missed a request from someone, please speak up :)

This message was edited Oct 28, 2007 6:49 AM

This message was edited Oct 28, 2007 3:45 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Brittany's Space... I'm totally in... have nothing started, but you all know that I'm good for seeds :) lol... did I hear hoya cuttings :)...
Brittany

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice work Alma! looks as though you may have saved me a lot of shlepping....Jim's space...don't know what I'll have either.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Rodica's space. No idea yet. I will probably start some seeds in September. I will try to start some MG cuttings too.
Can I be added on the list for some rainlilies, please ?
Excellent job in making the reservation, Alma.

Good gardening

Rodica

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah Jill never enough rain lillies. None of my normal white ones are blooming save me a couple of bulbs to please.

Phoenix, AZ

Jill, I'd love some rain lilies, too. Just how many of those puppies do you have? Methinks you may need a hundred or so!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I really enjoyed scoping out the park with the ranger. The gate was locked and I had to talk 'em into opening it so I could see the space - beFORE I reserved it. Their policy was that I could see it AFTer I paid, LOL! Bureaucrats, ya gotta love 'em; they make the world go round.

BTW, we are registered as "Garden Party" so let's live up to that!

Phoenix, AZ

Hey, guys - and girls - Terry has 'sticky-ed' this thread so it will stay at the top and we won't have to hunt it down. Thank you, Terry!

Another bit of info about editing, again from Terry:

"Hi tomatofreak,

There are no limits on the number of times a thread can be edited.
However, each member is limited to five edits per day (it doesn't
matter if you re-edit the same post five times, or five different
posts, the limit is the same.)

Happy Gardening,
Terry"

Now we know we can keep adding 'haves' and 'wants' to our spaces - as long as we don't go over 5 edits a day. When we get closer to November 3, we can collapse all that info into a new thread, making it easy to see what we all have to give or get.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Brenda's space!

Thanks, Alma, well done!

I will have sweet potato vine starts, snail vine starts, I can bring taro (pond plant) starts if anyone wants one. Will have to see what else I can "dig up"!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will probably be bringing some rain lilies too. Not sure what colors. Mostly white. I may have some pink and beautiful daffodil yellow too. I gave away two wheelbarrows full last year, so do not have quite so many this year :(...

Alan

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Jackie's space - I'll chip in, too. I hope to bring Moringa seedlings, some stapelias, and, ummm, I don't know what else yet.

I would like to get some brug cuttings

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 7:22 PM

This message was edited Oct 14, 2007 8:27 PM

Phoenix, AZ

Well, I'll be thinking of you all...but I can't participate in the swap that weekend.

I'm walking in the Breast Cancer 3-day (walking 60 miles in three days!), so I'll be somewhere in the valley, trying to help save lives. It's Nov 2,3,4th... (thanks again Barb & Brenda for donating!)

I'm sure it'll be a fun swap!
~Kim

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you Kim, for doing something good. I didn't realize it was the same weekend... but if there is anything I have that you want, it's yours!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A suggestion.....since we will be going back and editing posts, if everyone could have their "haves" and their "wants" in a list format it will greatly facilitate the process of checking the lists as they get edited, yes?

And don't forget to go back and check those lists to see if things have been edited :)

Crossville, TN

....also...each time you go back and "edit" your space...remember to scroll down and erase the line "o the fact that you had edited it before....that way you won't have all those ....this message was edited.........you'll only have the last one.

Does this make sense?? I hope so. LOL Jo

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Yep, Jo, it does! Thanks for the reminder.

This is so exciting! :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jill, you are like a kid in a candy store! The enthusiasm is awesome!! Just wait until the swap, everyone brings their best work!! I am horrid at starting seeds but I'll be darned if I didn't buy some styrofoam cups today and soil to give it another shot!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

you should see me at MVG.... PiggyPoo has and it's not a pretty sight... :)

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeppers, I have. Seeing you at MVG is like seeing Marie at DS!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the warning! I have been wanting to hit up a nursery with Marie since I met the woman! Do I have to rethink the field trip Marie?? LOL! I know she would be my biggest enabler, so when I come home $200 later with many treasures I can promptly blame her and DH will forgive us both!!! He's just thrilled I made a friend!!

*BTW, I am usually a homebody and don't like going out to bars with the girls (dinner, heck yeah, but who likes to do that at my age when there are bars to visit???), hence the delight when I make a friend*

Mesa, AZ

Susie's Space

Not a clue yet, but I will be there and I will bring 'stuff'!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh and then when you have something for someone....remove it from your "have" list and start a "reserved" list....I was reminded about mg cuttings when I read Jill's post :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Guilty as charged :o)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

JudyB's space.

So far I have some Incense passion vines in gallon pots.

Brenda
Alma
MaryMc
newhobby
jkochan
allgr8dogs
robin

I'm not sure how many more there are, I'll check tomorrow. All the Incense is spoken for.

I have just dug up some starts of Dietes, and also Jasminum mesnyi.

newhobby one of each
marieortiz one of each
McMary
Rodica

This message was edited Oct 26, 2007 9:23 PM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Judy, I would love some of that incense passion vine if possible!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.