Lotus - Nelumbo nucifera (looks like it anyway)

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I have some seeds that I would like to try. I guess I would need to get them started before I plant them in our pond correct? I can't just stick a seed down in the mud on the bank of the pond? Is it too late to get them going and plant out in the pond? Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Dawn

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The ones I got through mail order were started on a windowsill after I filed through the hard shell with a jeweler's file. You could try sticking one in the pond and another indoors for an experiment. They grow fast after the hard shell is nicked.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Do you think it is too late in the season to get one going and then plant in the pond this year? Are they difficult to keep over winter in the house(sunroom)?

It has been a while since I had a pond but it seems like the first year I lifted the pot (Rubbermaid dishpan actually) full of clay and sand with the tubers intact and stored in my garage over winter. I never let it dry out but did not keep soaking wet either and then put the pan back in the pond the next spring and did this for a couple of years. I gave a piece to my parents in middle TN and they never lift theirs and it has always overwintered for them in a small pond. I would think your zone is like theirs but for the first year I would overwinter any growth indoors (leaves will probably disappear but that is only dormancy).

http://www.water-gardens-information.com/overwintering-lotus.html

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/overwinter.htm#lotus

I also grew some tropical water lilies from seed and overwintered the bulbs in a canning jar with styrofoam peanuts for a couple of years. The 3rd year they dried out and died. I have never found seed for them again.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, great! Sounds like it is not too difficult then to over winter if I started some now. Thanks for the links also. Gonna go check them out now.
Dawn

Louisville, KY

It is a SOB to scratify the seed. I have to have my hubby take a saw and hold the seed with pliers and saw until you just see the white underneath. careful. Then soak in a bowl of water. I will sprout in a few days. I don't put them in the pond until I have a couple of leaves. You won't be able to winter over I bet. Just start again next year and drop them deeper into your pond once the cold comes for protection. Hopefully they will come back. Good luck...my fish always gobbled mine once because I let a few float around whoops...

Use a triangular jeweler's file to nick the seed coat - not too hard to do it this way - simply hold in one hand (or pliers or small vise) and file for a minute or two. Stop once you see the color change like forevereden said. I did this for bird of paradise too (strelitzia reginae). Works well.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2007 12:25 PM

Louisville, KY

I was looking on ebay for a file like you mentioned. do you think these are what you mentioned? they call them
"6 Needle Files Jewelers Watchmaker Metal Filing Tools" on ebay
I might get them if they will do the trick.
Thanks for the tip too!

Thumbnail by forevereden

forevereden, the picture is just a thumbnail but they look okay. I got a 3 piece set at Sears years ago - a triangular, a round, and a flat one. They are just a lot smaller than normal files.

pdoyle, Lotus seeds are about the size of a grape (maybe a little smaller) and very hard (the reason for a file or other sharp abrasive tool to nick the shell).

http://www.kleptography.com/images-lotus/crw_2859.jpg

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

thanks hcmcdole, I guess I won't be trying to grow lotus seeds anytime soon then.
thanks,

pdoyle, you can probably buy lotus pods at a craft store which usually have lotus seed still embedded (they should be viable unless treated with something). Just a thought.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

good idea - Thanks~!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a few Empress Lotus if you want them. One is long and one is round so I think the long ones are just immature. I'd be glad to send you a couple of seeds. Dmail me your address.

Peggy

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

pdoyle, that's a lotus pod. Even though there are seeds inside, they might well be dead. Usually, when stuff is imported into the US as an herb, it has to be heat treated to kill any seeds (seeds used as condiments or spices seem to be excepted). I have tried germinating a number of seeds from pods, and they have always been dead.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I was reading the other day that the lotus seeds can stay viable for decades, probably due to that tough outer coat.

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I use pecan clippers to make a small hole in the side of the seed. Much easier for me than to try to file them. I would probably end up filing my fingers more than the seed. One little clip and you have the white inner part of the seed exposed.

Winnetka, IL

Viable Lotus seeds were found in Egyptian tombs, so they're good for at least 2,000 years :)

I keep trying them, and still no luck! I have filed until I saw a white ring, and nicked as deep as I dared, but no go. They're supposed to germinate in a few days?

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Mine did but I didn't do too well over wintering them. I will try again now thatspring is on its way. I get to find some more seeds first!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

pdoyle I was wondering how your seeds went. I may try mine again this spring. I have 1 left so I will whisper sweet nothings to it before I try again. I wonder how long they stay in the pond before they grow in the wild?

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Mind did fine for a while butthey got slimey so threw them in the shallow end of our pond. Maybe theyll survive. We'll see.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Sink or swim on their own, that's what my plants have to do. They don't get babied much.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

You know, sometimes I think we kill our plants by trying to hard to take care of them.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I agree

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I use a electric dremel tool that has a small grinding file that makes the job easy for me..lol..

Winnetka, IL

Hey- I think mine is actually germinating!

It's developed this mass of bubbles at one spot, and you might even be able to see what looks like roots in the largest bubble.

Does this look familiar to any successful Nelumbo growers?

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

That end looks like it has split. Looks promising.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.